Slow FPS? Try this!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Slow FPS? Try this!

I was scanning through the forums and found where someone mentioned setting the max FPS in the morrowind.ini file LOWER would MAJORLY improve you're smoothness and FPS. He recommended setting it between 15-45 (or at the highest to match your monitor refresh rate). First I set it at 60 instead of the default 240. I noticed outside my FPS would drop and rise between 10-20 depending. When set to 240 sometimes it would drop to 5 or so. I then set it to 15. Now I get a steady 15 FPS no matter where I go...even in Balmora. I REALLY recommend trying this out. I am fixing to try a slightly higher 20 or 25 and see if I can get 20/25 steady. Anyways just wanted to pass this on.

I am running full Half Distance and no shadows though..I think which is what it was set to default. Havn't tried messing with those but still this small tip should make a huge difference.
Post Tue Aug 06, 2002 9:56 pm
Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Hrm after further testing I dont know if that helps as much as I thought. 2 months ago when I had MW installed I would get 5-20 FPS in Balmora. I just set the MaxFPS back to 240 and tried and im getting average 25 there. Something else I did on my computer helped..possibly updating drivers or the MW patch (I have never tried the patch until now)

I still recommend trying it though if you would like a steady FPS without stuttering =D

As for me I will enjoy my 25FPS in Balmora with Shadows Off, 50% Distance 4xQ Anti-Aliasing at 1024x768

=D

Now just have to figure out what char to make.
Post Tue Aug 06, 2002 10:07 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Shifter
Now just have to figure out what char to make.

Ah, the immortal question...
Post Wed Aug 07, 2002 1:23 am
Spawnster
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

i still hvn't figure out which char is the best
Post Wed Aug 07, 2002 9:22 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

You'll be thinking a LOOOONNG time... ;)

There is no "best" character, and in the long run there's little difference between them really. However, at the start of the game the bonuses you get can help out for the first few levels. If you want a spellsword-type character, then a Dark Elf may be a good choice due to initial bonuses to Long Blade and Destruction. If you want to concentrate on Endurance, then Orcs get a good initial bonus. If you want a pure mage then Bretons have good abilities and bonuses to skills. However, it's interesting to play a character that doesn't "fit in" at first, a Breton thief, a Wood Elf battlemage.

The real place where the races differ is in their special abilities. Pay attention to the abilities your chosen race has and see what comes of it. Pay attention to the sign you want to be born under - lots more scope for special abilities there.

I recommend generating a character and playing it for an hour or so, then scrap it and start another. After three of four "scratch" characters I had a better feel for what I wanted to be in the world of Morrowind.

My particular choice was a pure warrior, with some magical resistance (Orc), try to maximise Endurance (Orc, The Lady, Endurance as a prime attribute and Heavy Armour as a major skill), be able to switch between slow powerful weapons and fast weak weapons (Long Blade and Short Blade as major skills), and to have a solution to having no ranged magical attacks (Marksman).

Your milage will *certainly* vary, so try things out and see what happens.
Post Wed Aug 07, 2002 12:43 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Re: You'll be thinking a LOOOONNG time... ;)

quote:
Originally posted by cfmdobbie
...I recommend generating a character and playing it for an hour or so, then scrap it and start another. After three of four "scratch" characters I had a better feel for what I wanted to be in the world of Morrowind.

heh, i did that quite often; it's absolutely true that each time you could create a better character.
Post Wed Aug 07, 2002 5:22 pm
The Omen
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yes, very true. It is almost limitless.
Post Wed Aug 07, 2002 6:59 pm
Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Hrm. Since I am restarting this topic could pertain to me. My first character was a Khajiit Thief with the basic thief setup...my new char which I just created I gave a new Class title to called "Mori Sereg'Wethrin" which means in Quensar (elvish) Dark Assassin..
He is a Khajiit again very similar to my first character since I had so muchfun playing him...I am trying to edit the meshthough to make him dark kinda like a Race mod I had seen..once I figure that out Iwill be on my way to thievery and assassinery (new word...assassinery)
Post Wed Aug 07, 2002 7:04 pm
Spawnster
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

to get back to topic....try the MW Optimizer. it works for me.

once u set yr min fps required....the optimizer will automatically scale the view distance to accomodate yr requirement e.g. in towns the view distance will be lower to increase fps but once you're in the wilderness it increases the view distance again. u can even op for double the max view distance.

try it...u'll won't regret it.
Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 8:40 am