Usergroups
Horizons Beta???
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Silverado
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Give Horizons some slack! Its trying something really new and in many ways its one of the few MMOs that is not YAMMO (Yet Another MMO) out there! What I mean to say is that its sort of a hybrid because loads of folks from EQ and so forth are totally looking for some things that don't necessarily speak about "game play" or "heroics" or even "questing" but rather are into community and building and collaboration with the option to leave the safety of the hamlet to go out with your posse and kick some undead ass!
Post Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:55 pm
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

quote:
Originally posted by ziBzi
Zakhal, why do you even post in this forum, your emotionaly attached to this game in some way, whats your problem. if you hated it as much as you say you do(or as you act). you wouldnt have anything to do with this forum.

Stop flaming the game over and over, and stop repeating the same bloody points over and over again.

No offence.

Few posts in several months is hardly a "flame war". Or are you saying that only neutral or positive comments about horizons are accepted? Sounds more like you are the one emotionally attached to the game especially when you need to get personal like that with it.

I havent bin wrong about mmogs since AO (the last time i let my self get hyped over a mmog). More or less i know exactly what to expect (thats why i didnt buy horizons i.e). And im hardly alone with this stance.
quote:
Originally posted by ziBzi
Stop flaming the game over and over, and stop repeating the same bloody points over and over again.

What have i repeated over and over? Vote with your wallet?
Post Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:40 pm
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

quote:
Originally posted by Silverado
Give Horizons some slack!

Unfortunately, that is precisely the attitude that has gotten us (the MMORPG gaming world) into such a sad state - giving developers slack. We accept inferior products rushed out the door in at best partially operational states. As consumers we pay good money - we should get good (or at least fully operational) products. The industry has grown accustomed to being able to make money without having to actually deliver a quality product.

So, no, I won't give them any slack. Yes, they have some nice ideas - but they have implemented poorly at best. I expect the same things of an MMORPG developer I do of any developer of any other consumer products - quality from the moment of release. I do NOT expect that the MMORPG will have ALL the content it will eventually have - but I DO expect everything it does have to be of high quality and to work properly. I do NOT expect to have to say about any market released product (game or otherwise) well just give them some slack and they will improve it...
Post Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:11 pm
Silverado
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Joey Nipps
We accept inferior products rushed out the door in at best partially operational states.

Microsoft does this and everyone does this. This isn't a game (so to speak) its a business as well as a passion and I think that at some point there has to be some revenue, there has to be a launch, and there has to be some movement. And like I said, there were all kinds of rumbling about the entire thing being sacked so I believe that it is by the Grace of Zeus and Hera that Hz is out at all -- so YES, I still think that if we vote with our wallets exclusively it might fail as opposed to get better.

If you share heart with the goals and vision of the game and read these reviews and say what I say which is "the heart is there, the soul is there, but the body is not there yet" which is the constant problem -- the server is sucking -- and the network sucks... I know in my office its that way with the file server -- lag is lag and if you're going to run a netwroked device, its hard to guarantee the constant supply of IP!

Anyway, I say that we should vote with our support -- vote with your faith and our hope that this is a cool game and will just improve!
Post Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:54 pm
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Joey Nipps
We accept inferior products rushed out the door in at best partially operational states.

Microsoft does this and everyone does this.

Dunno, my xp pro has not crashed for once since i installed it year ago. It has worked perfectly the whole time. I do admit 95/98/ME was pure crapola but as with XP i hope we get similar quality mmog products in future too. Until then i can wait because unlike with windows 95/98, i can do without shitty mmogs.
Post Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:16 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Anyway, I say that we should vote with our support -- vote with your faith and our hope that this is a cool game and will just improve!

We voted with our support with many games before already, and the 6 months rule still applies, which is sad... I'm generally all for giving chances, but even I'm beginning to think I've been too easy on some games in the past. I'll still wait and try Horizons before I judge it, but we can't just have this attitude anymore. I agree with Joey Nipps, here, unfortunately...

Edit: fixed my quote...

Last edited by Ekim on Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:23 pm
Silverado
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Zakhal
Dunno, my xp pro has not crashed for once since i installed it year ago. It has worked perfectly the whole time.

Baby, XP is merely Windows 2000 and is built on NT and so has been Tested-For-Money since 1993 to get it right!
Post Fri Dec 05, 2003 8:59 pm
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

quote:
quote:
Dunno, my xp pro has not crashed for once since i installed it year ago. It has worked perfectly the whole time.

Baby, XP is merely Windows 2000 and is built on NT and so has been Tested-For-Money since 1993 to get it right!

So what your saying is that people are buying beta-windows95 over and over again when it comes to mmogs? Good that you agree with me! Just weird that people accept that, i mean its their money been wasted here.

Dont think im gonna pay ten years for any mmog though. 13*12*10=1560€ is just a bit too much to pay for one computer game! I guess ill check up with horizons the next decade!
Post Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:45 pm
Silverado
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

[quote="Zakhal"]
quote:
Dont think im gonna pay ten years for any mmog though. 13*12*10=1560€ is just a bit too much to pay for one computer game! I guess ill check up with horizons the next decade!

Well, UO and EQ are much better now with all that work, eh? And there were loads of productivity that happened between one BSD and another:

Post Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:12 pm
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

quote:
quote:

Well, UO and EQ are much better now with all that work, eh?

Really? I guess you have totally missed the latest "updates" of UO. AOS was broken for quite somtime after release not to mention missing features promised in the box. Hell theres still bugs even that were found in uo beta over 5 years ago that are still to be fixed. I guess they just dont have time or skill or both.

quote:
Originally posted by AOS reviews

THE GOOD:
Nothing Good.

THE BAD:
No connection, Very Bad Lag, non-existant customer support.

SUMMARY:
EA claims AoS is their biggest expansion to date for UO. As it is turning out, it is the biggest flop for UO to date. I had thought that they could not do anywhere as bad as they did when they introduced Trammel to the game, but that was nothing compared to the ongoing disaster that is known as AoS. I have personnaly had extreme dificulty just logging into the game. Usually I must give up all attempts after 4 - 5 pm local time. The wide range of eroneous screens that pop up after a lengthy log-in can be quite interesting. The in game lag is impossible to deal with (move one inch in game every 2 - 4 minutes is the norm). There is no in game support at all. I attempted this twice and was 234 in the que one time and 523 the second. The program crashed both times before I was seen. Over the phone is worse. You are either on hold for a unbelievable amount of time before being disconnected, or you are disconnected immediatly. Apparently EA is willing to take everyones $30 for the game but warranties nothing, and so far is delivering just that. I need to find the local BBB address and see what legal rights I have to recoup my losses for this defective merchandise.

THE GOOD:
Some decent upgrade concepts in there...

THE BAD:
On release date (as in you pay $40 for it in stores) there was well over 3 dozen bugs, about 12 of them extremely severe.

SUMMARY:
Unbelieveable balance issues. Not beta tested at all by player base.. not worth the money it costs.. most players see it as Electronic Arts last strive to get money out of this game before they shut it down.
Currently there are a few hundred players coming together to form some sort of lawsuit against the company over this game.. im not sure of the details but its not a good thing...
If im not mistaken, most all of the player community is leaving for a new MMPOG named Shadow Bane.
Im cancelling my 2 accounts with Ultima Online after playing for 3 years. Its really a horrible upgrade to any game..
for some long time player's views, I suggest looking at some message boards about it at...

Averige user score 1 out of 5

link

Where does it say much better? I really dont understand why you even try to defend rip off companies like that. Each to its own i guess.

quote:
And there were loads of productivity that happened between one BSD and another:

I havent seen the blue screen of death since i updated to xp pro. Its been 100% stable for a year now.
Post Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:50 pm
Silverado
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I know -- the BSD is not gone -- after years of BSD -- come on, I am linux boy and I have had up times of 6 months with Linux from 1995 -- and its only now that XP has that kind of up time -- and it can't compete with the up time of OSX!
Post Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:14 am
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

quote:
I know -- the BSD is not gone -- after years of BSD -- come on, I am linux boy and I have had up times of 6 months with Linux from 1995 -- and its only now that XP has that kind of up time -- and it can't compete with the up time of OSX!

I have had my linux crashed plenty of times in our uni's linux room. They are no different from windows NT, well actually theres som difference. Windows NT is slower than linux (red hat), as linux though has a tendency to crash up more. Not that they were both slow. Our new agora building had 4 rooms full of windows 2000 comps which work much better though not without occasional hiccups. Then they upgraded them to xp but didnt up the memory. Login startup lasted like 10 minutes.

Oh well nothing compares to my home xp pro which is solid as a rock. I have been really (i mean really) amazed over the stableness. Especially after using 98 all those years. I am really happy with it.

quote:
and its only now that XP has that kind of up time

If you agree that XP is stable then why do you need to argue about it? As i said allready, i agree that previous windows were not-so-good.
quote:
I do admit 95/98/ME was pure crapola

(this thing is starting to wander off a bit too much into offtopic btw)
Post Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:50 am
Silverado
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Lies!
Post Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:06 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3