Usergroups
online gothic?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Mr. Bojangles
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

i really love gothic, the third person view, freedom and controls especially. my only problem is that i really enjoy online rpg's. are there any games out there that play similar to gothic? (i have noticed DAoC, is that close?) i posted this on the general crpg forum as well, but didn't figure i'd get many replies. please enlighten me with suggestions.
Post Tue Apr 09, 2002 6:39 am
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Hi Bojangles

I don't think that you'll ever find a MMORPG that plays the same way as a single player game like Gothic.

All single player RPG's have one thing in common. They are about you. all about you. The whole game world revolves around your character and events in the game unfold around the choices that you make during play.

A MMORPG on the other hand has a completely different dynamic. You are no longer the central character, in fact you become one of thousands and this obviously fundamentally alters the game play experience.

My point being (eventually) that "Online-Line Gothic" would lose its .. er .... Gothicness. Leaving you with a game that was really just Gothic in name only.

Also in a time where MMORPG's are increasingly coming to the fore, Gothic would have to offer something unique in order to capture it's "slice of the pie" in the marketplace. So what would that be?

In answer to your query about Dark Age Of Camelot though. Although the play experience is quite different, I can tell you that it has held my attention longer than any MMORPG I have played to date and I've flirted with all the big players at some point or another.

In order to progress it is vital that you team up with other players and the class you play is really important, with each playing a role in any team you might join.

This Team Ethic makes the game for me I think. I was never really able to grasp the logic of people who subscribe to a multiplayer universe and then play to the exclusion of the other player characters around them. Teaming is also made easy, by the fact that the people you meet are generally very friendly. (Or at least that has been my experience)

PvP has been approached in a very healthy way as well. The PvP debate is a really hot potato and people argue passionately for or against. At the hardcore end of the spectrum lies Ultima Online, where you are safe in towns, protected by the guard. But once outside the town limits you are fair game for PK's and MOBS alike. I personally prefer this approach, as it seems most realistic.

DAOC has not run away from the PvP issue. Instead it has embraced it as a very important part of its structure. There are three "Realms" to choose from when you begin and they are basically at war with each other.

The three Realms exist around a central contested area with Forts and castles to be fought over and occupied. Once you reach a certain level, you are called upon to take part in defence of your Realm in this conflict. It's a clever idea which basically means you are never in danger of PvP in your own realm. But it is only a horse ride away for the bloodthirsty.

Anyway, I could ramble on about this for ages, but I had better get back to the daily grind I guess.

Bye for now

Badger
Post Tue Apr 09, 2002 8:02 am