Usergroups
Should I get Arx Fatalis?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Should I get Arx Fatalis?

I was introduced to RPGs with Gothic. I loved it (and still love it). Since then I have enjoyed RPGs such as Neverwinter Nights and Diablo. I still like Gothic the best, but I want to know: Would I enjoy Arx Fatalis? It scored 85% in PC Gamer Magazine (the "Excellent" category), and it has quite resonable system requirements. Is this game for me?

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:38 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Arx Fatalis

This game is great in my opinion, and I have played Gothic and am now on Morrowind. Arx is my favorite. This is a shorter game then Gothic, and if you read the reviews, you know the world is closed and underground. It has same view as Gothic, and battles are played in realtime. The best new part is the majic system. Very unique and fun. It is a story driven game, and has a lot fewer side quests than Gothic. Character building is limited and if not done right, you may want to start over. Having saved games is a must, for many reasons. You can kill NPC's that will break the side quests, but not the main story. If you get it you will find there is very little ingame help as to what you need to do next. This is the one big drawback of the game. And be sure to get the latest patch, or you will be pissed. There is a PDF file that is a walkthrough with all maps, stats, ect. It is great, and it leaves a lot to be done and learned by you on your own. It is more of a guide than a walkthrough. There is a lot of world item interactions as well. This game is linear, but great graphics, and sound which really pull you in from the start. I played it nine times and found something new to try each time. You can be warrior, mage or combine, but you will need a little of both. I have talked long enough. If you have specific questions I'll be glad to answer. Hope this helped a little.
Mark Twain
Post Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:28 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Right now, Gothic 2 is highest on my list of priorities, but I would be interested in this game. I think I'll get it after Gothic 2. Thanks for the info!

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:14 pm
CodeMan
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Best Game to Play

I would have to agree with most of these comments. Arx Fatalis was a great game and has a high replayability factor. I just finished Gothic 2 and I would have to say hands down, it is the best RPG I have played to date. BTW I finished Dungeon Siege, NWN, Arx, but never could quite get into Morrowind. Another great game although not publicized well was Summoner. I am playing through Gothic now and I'm loving every minute of it. My order of preference:

Gothic 2
Arx Fatalis
Gothic 1
Summoner
NWN
Dungeon Siege
Post Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:38 pm