Morrowind Press Copy - ask your questions here
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Morrowind Press Copy - ask your questions here

I have learned today that the Morrowind Press Copy will reach me before the weekend (I know that's somewhat late, but I think no possible cause for delay has been left out in the process of getting it .

Anyhow - since I am away this weekend, I will start playing and playtesting it on monday. I intend to do a preview of the game and the editor, and I invite you to ask your questions here. There are some things RPGDot will not be allowed to talk about, especially character generation and quest specifics, but I think there are a lot of questions remaining that I will be able to anwer without spoiling the upcoming fun for you.

One thing, though: I won't create all possible characters to tell you how this or that works or which character is "best", since I will a) lack the time to do so and b) will not be willing to say this or that character is better. The character you want to play is the best .

I also will not be able to answer technical questions that are impossible to answer without changing hardware or the OS.

I will read your questions here and try to answer them in several articles at MorrowindDot. So - shoot them at me
Post Wed Apr 17, 2002 1:57 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Do you like it?

Oh, no press release will arive to my home...
Post Wed Apr 17, 2002 2:26 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

I don´t know if this has been asked before but anyway:

How many races is there going to be in Morrowind? And please answer it here on this forum and do not direct me anywhere. Exept if there is images and facts about them there.
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Wed Apr 17, 2002 3:15 pm
Incindium
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Races...

DzD I am gonna refer you cause all the info has been available on the official Morowind site for a long time... http://www.morrowind.com/ Goto the Codex section and select Races...
Post Wed Apr 17, 2002 3:22 pm
Incindium
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Question...

Heh the only question I can think of at this point is if it Morrowind is one of those RPG's that you can lose yourself in for hours a day for extended periods of time just for the sheer fun of it even if you don't follow the main plotlines or not...
Post Wed Apr 17, 2002 3:27 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

Question: How come you can't take the game with you this weekend and then tell us on Monday how it is?
Post Wed Apr 17, 2002 3:35 pm
Gwendo
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

1- Do we HAVE to install the editor? How much space does it take? Or does it run from the CD?

2- Could you show some screenshot, with different graphic details? For example, the same character in the same place, but: one with no shadows, one with fog near, other without pixel shaders, one with everything maxed out, other with everything toned down and lower resolution.

3- Talk about the combat engine! I think it's the main issue right now. That's my main concern.

4- Could the text quantity be boring?

5- Does the editor come with help files? Do they teach scripting?
Post Wed Apr 17, 2002 4:10 pm
Krystoff
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Game questions

Hopefully these questions will be able to be answered.

1. Combat. Having never played either of the two prequels to this game, I am new to the combat system. I have read about it at morrowind.com but it still doesn't give me a feel of how hard it will be to attack/defend. Is it just something that you have to get used to?

2. Darkness. Some of the screen shots are really really dark. Do you have to have a completely dark room to be able to see or do you have to up the gamma to be able to see? Does the nightvision (From spell or race) alleviate this?

3. Magic. I plan on playing a Breton Mage of some type. (From the message boards, they are one of the best races for Mages.) Is it easy to use the magic system? Are spells interruptable? If you try to cast on a mob/monster/npc and your skill is low enough so that the spell fails, does the mob know and attempt to attack you or is it oblivious to the fact you tried to harm it?

That should do it for now. I am sure there are a number of other posters that will have questions that I would like answered but couldn't think of. I also appreciatte your efforts to keep everyone in the loop! I also really enjoy your site, you always have great content that would take me days to find by myself.
Post Wed Apr 17, 2002 4:12 pm
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

I echo the concerns about the combat system. I, too, am new to this series and am curious if the combat can keep pace with the rest of the game.

2. This may border on what you said you were not going to answer, but I'm gonna ask it anyway! What character did YOU create? Were you happy with him? If you could keep the character you have, and only change ONE thing, what would it be, and why?

3. Just an appreciation note. I know you guys work hard to keep this site up to date, and so a big thumbs up to Rend and all of the other contributors and moderators.
Post Wed Apr 17, 2002 6:31 pm
Snoekie
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Three questions:

1. Like many have already asked before, what's the combat like?

2. There is one specific thing I'd like to know about combat and that is: How can you tell how hurt your opponent is? Do you see a healthbar go down or something? Any visual representation of the damage you've done perhaps?

3. How is the AI? Does an enemy have different attack/defensive tactics or do they simply always run straight at you?
Post Wed Apr 17, 2002 6:51 pm
Azkiel
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

2 small questions here.

1. Bugs? Tell us if you encounter any major one (if you're allowed to talk
about them)

2. Is thievery a viable option? i.e. can you be a thief and be succesful in
this game or do you spend most you you're time in jail, lose all your stuff
and people hate you and don't want to speak to you (you see my point).

Also, if you have the time describe the system you're using and what kind
of performance you're getting.

Thank you!
Post Wed Apr 17, 2002 8:15 pm
olaf

Thief/Assassin details please

Please make a thief/assassin type character and report back how that character plays. What the thiefly skills do, etc. None of the other previews, or the devs, have ever commented how backstabs, or whatever similar attack exists in game, will work. How do you set one up? What weapons allow them? Do certain weapons make them easier/harder or more/less potent? What is the actual effect of the backstab? More damage, a mulitplier or scalable bonus? Chance of instakill? etc.

Thanks
olaf
Post Thu Apr 18, 2002 7:57 pm

Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

TES Construction Set

I want to know as much about the construction set as possible:

1. Stability. I have used lots of editors in the past from Doom to Unreal and anything advanced like the Unreal engine seems to be full of bugs and constantly crashes. Does TES Construction Set?

2. Can you make caves and building that are not seperate from the outside environment? E.g. they have no door as such, you just walk in without loading.

3. How much control do you have over static objects? e.g. can you make a wall collapse when you walk near it?, or could you make a castle rise out of a swamp? or make a ship that actually sails? (even just automatically)

4. Can you import your own textures? If so what formats/color depth/resolution does it support?

5. Can you easily import objects from 3D Studio Max? and what kind of poly counts can it handle for a single object?

6. Do Bethesda have any plans to release a kind of Dungeon Master mode where I can run a server with my plugin and control the game in real time, such as in Vampire: The Masquerade? (I know this ones wishfull thinking)

Thats all I can think of for now. Thanks!
Post Fri Apr 19, 2002 3:57 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

i would like to know if you can cast two or more spells quickly in sequence, one right after the other, fast... such as i cast invisibility and right after that fireball. i am worried bout this since it appears in the game that you only get one default weapon and one default spell to cast. ???

#2 can you issue commands when the game is paused?

thanks you lucky dude

www.shadowpool.com
www.darkfallonline.com
Post Sat Apr 20, 2002 10:53 pm
SimonUK

Open Doors

Asked this elsewhere but suggested I repost here...

I've read that interiors of houses/dungeons will be loaded separately as you enter them, but if a door is open (or if will you open a closed door) will you be able to look inside and see the interior / people / mosters etc before going in? If the engine has to load the interior once you go inside it wouldn't be aware of the geometry until you cross the threshold...
Post Sun Apr 21, 2002 3:54 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next