Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Confessions of an inept pickpocket......
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Jabberwocky
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Confessions of an inept pickpocket......

As of today I have reached 19 hours and some change of playing time in Gothic II. While that’s not something to write home about, it is a special time nonetheless, because I have finally gained entrance to the Thieve’s Guild!! I think I mentioned in an earlier installment that this is only my second time playing through the game. The first time, gosh darnnit, I never got to interact with the Thieve’s Guild at all. What’s this, you say? Yep, that’s right, somehow I managed to botch the whole thing up, so that the Thieve’s Guild was neither impressed with nor afraid of me.

I had the eye of the tiger this time around however, grim and determined to gain access to that stupid door in the ocean come hell or..uh.....high water. No halfhearted decision or conflict of conscience was going to thwart my purposes of becoming a member! Still, I saved my game in a new slot every ten yards or so when in town, just to make sure I didn’t screw up again.

At last! I met Attila, got the key, got wet, opened the door, killed rats, and made the acquaintance of (insert wolf whistle here) Cassandra... no... Cassidy... no, that’s not it...Carissa? Oh heck, I don’t know. She was distracting me with her womanly charms. Anyhow, she sends me on this mission to steal a ring from Constantino the alchemist. Now, I didn’t really want to learn pickpocketing, but I figured if it allowed me some more mack time with Corrinna, it was worth it.

After the lesson I headed off to Constantino’s to try my new skills. According to Cleopatra, I am supposed to distract him in conversation while I feel out his pockets. *yuch*
“Hey, you! Can you heal me?”
“Why, are you injured?”
“Uh.... yeah... umm...that’s it....sort of....”
“There’s barely a scratch on you! Get outta my sight! I have more important things to do!”
And so with his rebuke I came to the realization that my clever ruse had not been so clever after all. Now my mom always used to say that “Honesty is always the best policy.” And since lying didn’t work........
“Okay. Look. Here’s the deal.. I was trying to get your ring because I want to impress this girl who lives down in the sewers. - Yeah I know it sounds strange but her name’s Cassiopeia and she’s really hot and with a mug like mine I need all the help I can get! So can you just gimmie your ring please pretty please??"

Constantino simply stared at me with a look of disbelief, and a little disgust thrown in for good measure. “Oh!...It’s not like you need the ring, you grumpy old coot!” I barked. “Who are you gonna impress, the undertaker?!?” Getting nowhere fast, I let out a whine of despair like a fanboy waiting for Diablo III.

Constantino finally came out of his state of shock, and said something to the effect of me being the most pathetic ignoramus he had ever had the displeasure of knowing. He then yelped for the guards, and with that, Pablo and another militiaman were all over me like stink on a deadman. Even the blacksmith’s upstart who lived next door heard the commotion and decided to join in the festivities of ‘pin the sword on the donkey.’ Lying in a crumpled heap on the floor, I came to the conclusion their little game was apropos - for I certainly felt like a dumb ass.

So how do I beat this quest? My first attempt as you have seen, didn’t go so well. I looted Constantino’s chest a long time ago. His ring wasn’t in there, was it? I don’t remember it. Do I have to learn pickpocketing to get it? Can someone give me a better line to use on him than “Can you heal me?” HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:36 am
EDV
High Emperor
High Emperor

The ring should be in Constantinos chest, maybe it just spawns there when you get that specific quest.
Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:54 am
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

I did that quest too, but I did it it my way, the merc way, instead of the girls way and kicked the hell out of him ad robbed him
Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:02 pm
Jabberwocky
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Yes, well, I've re-checked his chest - it's still empty. And I can assure you I'd love to just beat it out of him, but unfortunately I'm not strong enough to do that in a timely fashion. The guards just come to his rescue before I can knock him down and get out of there.
Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:13 pm
NeoCodex
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Hm.. have you tryed beating him up at the night? I rarely had problems wit h the gurads... just pick the right time, when a guard isn't going past the constantinos house at the moment and take him out as quickly as possible.

also, if you're to weak at the moment to beat constantino you can still try it at later chapters without any harm..

but anyway, you have to break in constantinos chest because there is a ring that you're looking for. however, I never had a problem with that. I always beat him up (levels 10-15) and while he is unconsious I break into the chest undisturbed. And when you're done, you just use the oblivion spell etc etc...

You can also tryed sneaking + breaking into the chest while he is sleeping but not sure if it works I never actually learned sneaking... It's a LP waste. I prefer beating up pepole
Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:59 pm
Jabberwocky
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Well, I ended up beating the guy up after all. Had to use four Ice Arrows to do it!! Anyway, it was pointless as he didn't have the ring on him. Yes, it was originally in the chest, but it wasn't labled "Constantino's Ring". Otherwise I would not have sold it. Not knowing to which merchant, or what the ring WAS labled, I went and purchased every one I could find in the city, and took them all back to Cassia (hey, I got her name right!!). That was really expensive, but fortunately it worked. She took one of the rings, and I re-sold the rest.
Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:56 pm
jmurdock
Old Fogey
Old Fogey

Sneaking in after he goes to bed almost always works. Just save before you start picking the lock so he doesn't wake up to the sound of a broken lockpick.

REMEMBER... Many saves, many slots!!!
Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:50 am
Vival
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Yes the ring is in his chest(or was if you looted it earlier). I think it was called wooden ring or wood ring but I'm not sure. You don't have to beat him up if you sneak in his hut by night. I was his apprentice after all and so I couldn't bring myself to break the old fart's bones for that cheap ring.
Post Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:31 am
firebat
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

It’s called “wood protection ring” and you have probably sold it to some merchant by now (just like I did). Your only way through the quest is to retrieve the damn thing.
Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:01 pm