Combat...am I missing something?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Asylumn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Combat...am I missing something?

So far combat seems horid. Am I missing something? Is there some way to tell if I'm hitting anything? Any way to tell if something is anywhere near death? I can live without seeing their health, but some sort of visual clue would be very helpful. Should I use divine intervention and get out of here, or is he almost dead? As far as I can see there is no way to tell.

Did I miss a checkbox somewhere that said 'Hide everything in combat'?

-Asylumn
Post Sun May 05, 2002 5:03 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Just flee when you are low on health
Post Sun May 05, 2002 5:10 pm
jldawson
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Well, flee or use a potion
Post Sun May 05, 2002 5:22 pm
Merkin
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

You do see a bloodsplat when you hit, but I agree. They really need to patch in some kind of numeric indicator/health bar for the mobs. Even just a vauge idea would be fine, but give us SOMETHING to work with here!
Post Sun May 05, 2002 6:17 pm
Decado
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Re: Combat...am I missing something?

quote:
Originally posted by Asylumn
So far combat seems horid.

That's because it is. Good game otherwise, though.
Post Sun May 05, 2002 6:35 pm
Eluzhun
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I think their just trying to keep the game as realistic as possible. In real life, do people have a life bar that goes down when you punch them? but i admit it takes a while to get used to, and you have no idea if your trying to kill something that is way to tough or not. maybe they should just put in a con thing like eq had.
Post Sun May 05, 2002 6:45 pm
JohnnyRock30

I like combat just the way it is. Health bars for the enemies would lessen the intensity of combat. I don't want to know how close to death something is, it is just more dramatic that way.
Post Sun May 05, 2002 7:19 pm

Decado
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Eluzhun
I think their just trying to keep the game as realistic as possible.

Rubbish.
Post Sun May 05, 2002 7:44 pm
Nasarius
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Decado
quote:
Originally posted by Eluzhun
I think their just trying to keep the game as realistic as possible.

Rubbish.

Huh? How else do you justify the decision not to include a health bar? It's obviously not too much work. The truth is that it would either be too much work to do a series of 'injured' textures for each monster (the realistic way), or it would detract from the 'immersion' factor of the game if they just had a little health bar.

Daggerfall didn't have any health indicators (aside from the blood spurts when you hit), and it was fine. I don't really need to know how far I am from killing something.
Post Sun May 05, 2002 7:47 pm
Wandering Wanderer

Besides, it's not like save and load times are horrible. F5 and F9 pretty much let you pick your fights. And like in Daggerfall, you quickly learn what hands you your ass on a silver platter and what you can defeat.
Post Sun May 05, 2002 7:57 pm

Nesarius and Wandering took the words right out of my mouth. If they can do it, add texturing to show the level of injury. It the best way. And F5 and F9 do let you pick your fights. It's not to much of a prob for me unless I run out of mana. In a tough fight, I paraylze the target for a minute stick a poison proc on him, heal myself or drain his health to mine. Works pretty well unless they have unGODLY hit points...
Post Sun May 05, 2002 8:09 pm

Somnus
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Nasty

I have to admit, it's very dodgy. I'm so used to EQ that the idea of not knowing how close they are to death is a bit worrying. But like the guy/girl above said, it worked in Daggerfall. It'll just take some getting used to, knowing what owns you and what doesn't.

The only problem with damaged textures, is that if there are 'uninjured', 'hurt' and 'near death' textures. There are 3x as many creature textures in the game than without the damaged textures. Considering the vast amount of textures in the game already (so many different clothing looks), the space taken up by textures would be phenominal.

Somnus
Post Sun May 05, 2002 9:23 pm
Pesky Wabbit
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I think it's just an experience thing, we will all get used to it quickly. When you fight monsters thats you have experience with, then you have a pretty good idea how many successful hits with your weapon it takes to kill them. When you fight with an unknown beast, which you have not encountered before, it makes sense you would have no idea. In the heat of combat it might be difficult to observe their status as well. If your character is combat oriented, attacking with a good weapon in good repair, they will kick ass. When you first start, you do not meet any of these conditions.

Of course the system as it is is not very realistic - real people do not heal from mortal wounds to full health after a good nights sleep, and when you swordfight with someone you see "oh, I cut his arm off, that's probably a good sign" But instituting a little health bar over the enemy's head would suck IMO.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 12:02 am
Merkin
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

It's too late for damage skins now, no way they'll patch those in. But Wizardry was equally huge, actually had more monster types than MW, I believe, and they managed to do beautiful damage skins.

Some type of dam. indicator is needed. The comment about "keeping the game realistic" is garbage. In r/ you know how badly your hurting someone in a fight, and can make the decision to stay and fight, or try to run. Every recent RPG on the planet has some type of dam. indicator becuase they work, they enhance gameplay. We need one.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 12:09 am
Xenophan

How about a mod?

I havent picked up MW and no very little about the engine and editor, but it would seem that if Bethesda doesn't implement a damage indicator of some sort then the mod community could come up with something. Just my 2cents.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 12:18 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next