Incomplete Quests in Journal
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Incomplete Quests in Journal

Can anone help with the above problem. I've just done a quest called "Recovering Cloucleaver" and unfortunately the option I chose ( helping the healer ) doesn't seem to end the quest properly in the journal.

I've heard you can use the console to add statements to the journal and finish quests manually, but this seems an un-natural method to me......and it looks odd having 2 outcomes in the journal for the same mission. I'm paranoid this will "break" the game further down the line.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to address this problem with the Cloudcleaver quest ....or broken quests in general ?
Post Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:20 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

There are a few quests that are never marked complete - Umbra is one that springs to mind. You can manually set them complete via the console, if you find out the right journal entry to set.

However, incomplete quests don't affect anything, apart from cluttering up your active quest list. If you don't like messing with the console, then just leave them be. It's purely a display issue, and won't affect the game in any way.

I have to say, I don't remember the Cloudcleaver quest locking open, and I always side with the healer on that one. Are you certain there isn't one last conversation topic to select before it ends? But I'm sure if you're anything like me you'll have clicked all of them, several times each to be sure!

On broken quests in general: it is possible for a bug to impede your progress, although I expect the latest patch catches almost all the problems that once existed. Regardless, it's well worth keeping a few backup saves around, just to be sure. I tend to save to a unique slot on each level-up, so worst-case I drop back to the beginning of the current level. YMMV.
Post Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:07 am
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Yup , I usually save in a similar fashion. Unfortunately my last save before finishing the Cloudcleaver quest was a long, long time ago and would have meant many lost hours to retrace footsteps.

There would appear to be 3 outcomes in the Cloudcleaver quest ... only 2 seem to result in closure. Siding with the Healer is the "broken" option.

So long as it doesn't affect gameplay i don't mind too much. But it gives me a sense of trepidation when doing other quests. I worry that if I choose the wrong option now, I may break the storyline or other sub-quests.
Post Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:44 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yeah, there's always a worry with a game this big that something will break and mess things up for you. Fortunately, if something really does go wrong you can usually fix things via the console.

The thing that really allays my fears is the knowledge that you really, honestly cannot finish every quest no matter what. So if the odd quest breaks here and there, it's no real worry. There's always something else to do!

The main quest has one commonly hit issue where you can be blocked - a necessary unique item is held by a creature. If you don't notice it at first, the corpse will probably decay (taking the item with it) before you realise what's happened. Fixing this is just one player->addItem away for PC users, but a bit more of a problem for XBox users...
Post Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:19 am
~NOBODY~
The One And Only
The One And Only

quote:
Originally posted by cfmdobbie
The main quest has one commonly hit issue where you can be blocked - a necessary unique item is held by a creature. If you don't notice it at first, the corpse will probably decay (taking the item with it) before you realise what's happened. Fixing this is just one player->addItem away for PC users, but a bit more of a problem for XBox users...

Yeah, That's a real problem!

BTW: Yes, siding with the healer doesn't complete the quest. However, it can be easily changed via TES CS.

BTW(2): I don't understand Umbra's quest. It's just that you kill him...
Post Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:35 pm