What to play after Arx Fatalis?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
Kris
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

What to play after Arx Fatalis?

Firstly, thanks to all for the help and the friendly chats over the past few days. The game was most enjoyable, and (unlike some flame/whine fests that I've been to) this has been a great forum.

But I've saved the Universe yet again, so it's time to look for another game (after 20 years of gaming I really should be on some sort of Universe Saver's Official State Pension - I wonder when it will start coming through... ).

Any suggestions?

Gothic 2 isn't here yet, but Divine Divinity looks promising. Anybody played it?

I've got NWN (disappointing, but some of the fan made mods were fun..) and IWD2 (very good, but I got bored by about 70% through.. )

Cheers, and good luck with your games.
Post Mon Jan 27, 2003 2:06 am
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Go With Divine Divinity

....it's a GREAT game.

It's different from Arx, but probably one of my favorite CRPG's ever, and I've played a lot. But if you prefer the first person perspective, I'd highly recommend Wizardry 8, also another underrated game is Wizards and Warriors, which you can get for cheap. That one had a goofy interface, but it was fun once figuring out how to play.

Honestly you can't go wrong with any of those three in my opinion. Have fun!
Post Mon Jan 27, 2003 2:43 am
Kayla
High Emperor
High Emperor

Divine Divity was great, or another game (IMHO better than NWN, although the NWN modules were fantastic) is Planescape:Torment. If you haven't played it you should, it's darker than the NWN, BG games and has quite a good sense of humour. It's a bit old, but if you haven't played itt I'd recommend you try and get it

Robert A. Heinlein
Post Mon Jan 27, 2003 2:53 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

DD was my favourite game of 2002. It wasn't the most original or innovative but I simply had the most fun playing it. I see you liked IWD2 so you don't mind a 2D ISO game.

It lacks the party strategy of IWD2 and the hectic combat is reminiscent of Diablo but the huge non-linear world, numerous side quests and fun character advancement make it a deeper RPG experience, not just a combat hackfest. The only negative is it lacks a little polish and has a few quirks - but nothing that seriously interrupts gameplay.

You can read Val's excellent review here.
Post Mon Jan 27, 2003 3:26 am
Kris
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thanks very much for the feedback.

Looks like DD is a must!

I'm a bit of an RPG junkie, after falling in love with the original Baldur's Gate when it first came out (I went through it, and TOTSC, nearly 4 times).

I've still got Planescape - which was great, and had a really meaty story - although I can't seem to remember what my character's name was in that one.. (just joking ). Maybe it's time to dig it out again.

Mind you, I enjoyed Diablo 2 and the add-on too. Basic stuff but very stylishly done (although I never did figure out why a town in the middle of the desert would need three large levels of sewers. What the heck did they EAT out there to require such extensive waste disposal facilities???)

I even finished Dungeon Siege, although in that case they appeared to have almost overlooked the need for a story altogether...).

My big love of last year was Morrowind (and add on) - if it was the sort of game that grabbed you it was just awesome. I even build my own add on room with the construction kit and had a great time furnishing it and filling it with trophies and souvenirs from my travels.

I really like the description of DD as being "fun" - several reviewers commented on that too - so it looks like a shopping trip tomorrow...

Thanks for the positive opinions of it - I love an excuse to buy another game.
Post Mon Jan 27, 2003 6:51 am
Kayla
High Emperor
High Emperor

Get Majesty too! It's heaps of fun and very addictive! I love the little gnomes and the tax collectors!

Different from Diablo2 (which I didn't think was that good, I got up to the last section and just lost the little bit of interest I still had), but Majesty I keep going back to.... it's a bit old (which makes it cheaper ) and it is well worth the investment. I think at the Mejesty website you can also download a free demo.... in fact, yes you can, I just checked!

http://www.majestyquest.com/

Robert A. Heinlein
Post Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:52 am
AvalonKnight
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hi, fellow game pension holder (21 years of satisfied gaming here!)
I would agree and go for divine divinity next..great fun but quite different from arx fatalis.
Hard to actually think of a game similar to Arx..maybe Wizards and Warriors is the closest (puzzles a la Dungeon Master and simple combat) so maybe give that a try if you can forgive the eccentricities and slightly dates graphics).

Have fun and here's to another 20 odd years of gaming..(scratches chin)..

All the best everyone!
Post Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:57 am
dick
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

if you like old games...

If you liked Arx Fatalis I suggest you to try Ultima Underworld 1 or 2 (even they are low in graphics...after all those years don't expect much) because all of the Arx Fatalis World is from there.... and more to discover... more complex then that....
Post Tue Jan 28, 2003 2:35 pm
sunshine
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I would recommend Ultima Ascention

Like arx but on a huge open massive landscape.

I did like torment too, but the cities of the dead turned on me and i did not want to start over. The psychic rats in that game were cool too.
Post Wed Jan 29, 2003 4:33 am