A very cool thing happened!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Dogar
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

A very cool thing happened!

A very cool thing happened while I was playing Gothic 2 just now.

I was on my way to the lighthouse hoping to help out poor Jack by clearing out those nasty Bandits who occupied his home. When I finally got there I was totally pin-coushened by the bastards at the front fence. After nearly getting my ass whupped, I decided to mope in the local countryside. It wasn't long until I found a creepy trail of blood and bones. I followed it into a cave where I started to hear a deep snoring. Sleeping Shadowbeast! I turned to run, but just as I got to the exit of the cave, the snoring stopped! I didn't stop running until I came to the top of a hill looking down on a valley. I ran down to the valley and ran up to the opposite hill and hid behind a tree. When I turned to look around, there was nothing. That's when that crazed Rhino From Hell suddenly charged over the hill and made a mad dash towards my tree!(or at least the thing cowering behind it!) That's when I started running wildly, with Mr. Beasty nipping at my toes. After a bit of skillfull and lucky running, jumping, dodging and turning, I realized that I was right near the front of the Lighthouse! Inspiration! I ran towards the fence and jumped over it and lost the beast at my tail. Ignoring the arrows flying from the Mercs(at a tune to about 3/4 my health!) I ran to the back of the lighthouse. After about 5 seconds of wondering if my hastily assembled plan was going to work, I heard the sounds of growling and shouting! After a few screams, there was a loud thunk. When I went to the front, two of the bandits and the shadowbeast were dead! The sole surivor had a sliver of health left and went down with 2 arrows, leaving me a nice unfought for shadowbeast skin and a nice pile of unearned loot!

Isn't there a name for this type of thing? Emergent gameplay or something? Whatever it is, it's really cool when it happens, epecially when you didn't even plan for it. Anyone else have times in Gothic where something really cool happens that suddenly and unexpectidly make things a whole lot easier?
Post Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:22 pm
Hi-Necro
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

It is a good work, Dogar! Because the difficult level is pretty high for anyone who wants to do it like you.

But the first person who try to do this is not you, er..., about several months ago, here was a topic tell you how to deal with the lighthouse, and there was a reply like "I make the shadowbeast take care of them", and you can also lead those bandits to the city, the gate guards there will slice them up for you.
Post Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:09 am
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Just that you lost the XP on 2 bandits and one shadowbeast, that's the sad part Personally I kill all what moves myself, although there are couple of cases when something will be taken care of without my interference, that's always sad. Anyways, following all the quests, checking every corner, you get enough XP to level up rapidly enough and beat the snots of them all
Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:36 pm
Dogar
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Alas, you're right! How shall I ever cope with the 400 xp that fate denied me?

Seriously, who cares? By the time I gain about 5 levels that 400 xp means squat.

To go on a totally different tangent, it honestly really amazes me how some people will play games not by how they feel the game should be played, but by which path offers the least amount of resistance while garnering the most amout of xp(I'm not really talking about you, Whailor.)

I remember being on a NWN forum where a guy was playing a NWN mission that forced the player to make a really tough moral decision.(Which is a rare and precious thing in game, IMHO) When he went to the forum to for some moral advice, practically everyone said "Do it such and such a way, you get the most xp and gold" while being completely oblivious to the morality issue, which was the reason the guy came there in the first place. What's the point of playing a role-playing game if there isn't even any role play?
Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:40 pm
OctU
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

If someone comes to a gaming forum to get advice about a morality problem, then they have bigger problems to deal with first.

Until the day you can type or speak in your own custom dialogue into a game instead of having to select among a few given dialogues trees, you are playing a "forced", and not a "true" RPG. And if I'm not playing a true RPG, I am going to enjoy the game as much as I can the way I want to play it, which is combat and exploration based first, and dealing with interpersonal and dialogue issues last. And if I want to maximize my combat abilities, I need to maximize my skills, which means I need to maximize my potential for receiving experience points. Gaining as much experience points as possible has also been for me like trying to complete another challenging quest, except it's one that doesn't end until the completion of the game!

Proud to be an experience points junkie,

OctU
Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:54 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Dogar
Alas, you're right! How shall I ever cope with the 400 xp that fate denied me?

Seriously, who cares? By the time I gain about 5 levels that 400 xp means squat.

To go on a totally different tangent, it honestly really amazes me how some people will play games not by how they feel the game should be played, but by which path offers the least amount of resistance while garnering the most amout of xp(I'm not really talking about you, Whailor.)

I remember being on a NWN forum where a guy was playing a NWN mission that forced the player to make a really tough moral decision.(Which is a rare and precious thing in game, IMHO) When he went to the forum to for some moral advice, practically everyone said "Do it such and such a way, you get the most xp and gold" while being completely oblivious to the morality issue, which was the reason the guy came there in the first place. What's the point of playing a role-playing game if there isn't even any role play?

Dogar,

I think this is a beautiful post. The whole point of playing a computer RPG to, to me, is to make the character *you want* and to take that character through the narrative and challanges of the game.

It is the job of the game designer to make sure there is sufficient balance and opportunities for all types of characters to succeed.

What happened in your game was a great example of how dynamic and exciting the Gothic games are. It was a spontaneous series of events whose outcome was the completion of a quest that should "normally" wait for higher levels to do. So now, you are able to give Jack back his lighthouse and get 400 EXP earlier in the game. Multiple solutions at work here.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to optimize your character -- but sometimes that can be taken to the extreme. For example, in Gothic I a common piece of advice was to save all the permanent stat potions until you had reached 100 via regular training. By doing this, you could gain nearly 230+ STR in the game. But what was the point? 100 STR is more than enough to pummel everything in the end.
Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:34 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

the point is because its fun to kill 2/3 of the monsters in 1 hit
Post Sat Nov 08, 2003 1:13 am