Getting a very powerful character in Baldur's Gate Games
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeons and Dragons General

Author Thread
Gothic Soul
Master of Shadows
Master of Shadows

Getting a very powerful character in Baldur's Gate Games

Ok I've been wondering on which may be the most powerful character to create to get through all baldur's gate games. I was thinking maybe a Fighter which I may turn into wizard slayer on BG2 cause there are so many mages through BG2. But I've read that Fighter-Mage (DUAL-Classed on level 9) do a wonderful character, or even a Kensai-Mage dual-classed in level 9 too, These I've read on some guides.
Post Tue May 20, 2003 3:35 am
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

I like a dual classed Kensai/Theif. When you have a level 12 Kensai with 5x backstab, and high strength, you tend to do about 70 or 80 damage with a backstab attack. *grin* It sure makes a good surprise for those wizards when you can do twice as much damage as they have health before they even know you’re coming. Give him some boots of speed so he can run into the shadows after attacking and he can take out entire parties with ease.
Post Tue May 20, 2003 4:20 am
Gothic Soul
Master of Shadows
Master of Shadows

Hey thanks, thank you very much I'll be using the kensai-thief then.
1.Any suggestions in which level dual class it???
2.and since I can't be a kensai in BG1 I have to choose a fighter which in BG2 I make him Kensai and then Thief?, Is That It?????
Post Tue May 20, 2003 5:44 pm
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

Yes, I started a new character for BG 2 as Kensai, BG 1 didn't have specialized classes; when you choose a second class I don‘t think you can choose a specialized class like Kensai. Kensai get bonuses to attack and damage every four levels so dual class him at either level 4, 8, or 12. The longer you wait the more powerful he will be, but the harder it will be, as you do not get your fighting abilities back until after you get one level higher than you dual classed at. I dual classed at 12. Don’t wait any longer than that, if you go too high you may not reach a higher level in your second class.
Post Tue May 20, 2003 10:40 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

A Kensai/Theif rules with the expansion! Especially when you pick the "Use all items" ability. It was great running around weilding The Holy Avenger with my evil Kensai/Theif.
Post Wed May 21, 2003 9:19 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

You can't backstab with Carosmyr, but then... you don't need to. It's Carosmyr.

I'm partial to fighter/thieves myself. BG throws plenty of thieves at you, but they all suck (with the exception of Yoshimo). Jan Jansen is decent too (incredible with his starting equipment), but as a multi-class it takes a while to get him there. So if you want to do it right, do it yourself...

Kensai/Wizard using tenser's transformation is the most powerful melee combatant in the game, however. Mine had over 200 hit points when tensered. Almost 300, actually.

Not that you need to melee when you can stop time and destroy the universe with a thought as a pure or dual classed wizard.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed May 21, 2003 2:25 pm
Oye
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

the most powerful class in bg2 is without a doubt the sorcerer, i'd say. Cant remember if it is possible to dual class into a sorc though..

¯|_
   |_     
     |_

Post Wed May 21, 2003 3:12 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

It's not, but then... you're a living, breathing, walking staff of the magi of horrific magical carnage. Who needs a second class when you have that?

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Wed May 21, 2003 4:17 pm
Gothic Soul
Master of Shadows
Master of Shadows

Ok this topic is getting nice and well informative for me. Now a couple of questions.
1.How do I backstap???
2.Is that a special abilitie or something???
3.Can Yoshimo backstab???
Post Wed May 21, 2003 5:07 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

All thief and thief kits can backstab. It's simple... you have to be hidden (or invisible) and then attack someone from behind. The computer handles the rest.

With the throne of bhaal expansion there's a power called 'assassinate' that turns all attacks in the next round into backstabs. You don't have to be hidden or attacking their back or anything... with a fighter/thief it's brutal, as you can hit 5 or more times in that round for x5 damage EACH.

Post Wed May 21, 2003 7:23 pm
Gothic Soul
Master of Shadows
Master of Shadows

Ok which is the difference between choosing my Human Fighter Thief and dual class him to have an elven fighter thief and multi class him because you cannot dual class him???? I hope you understand the question.
Post Wed May 21, 2003 10:59 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Biggest difference is the elf won't be a Kensai.
Post Thu May 22, 2003 5:21 am
Gothic Soul
Master of Shadows
Master of Shadows

My elF won't be a kensai
Ok tell me if I'm gonna do well. I'm going to start the BG saga again from the first one and In BG1 / TotSC I'm going to choose a Human Fighter and gain the maximum levels I can with him. Then I'm going to import it to BG2 SoA with ToB and when I import him I will change the Fighter class for the fighter kit Kensai then when my Character gets to level 12 I'll dual class him to thief. Is That OK??? any suggestions welcome.
Post Fri May 23, 2003 2:41 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Heh. My suggestion is to skip the first baldur's gate game and go right for BG2, but that's just me. I found BG flat and dull... whereas BG2 ranks as one of my favorite D&D CRPGs, BG ranks as one of my least favorite. Weird, but true.

Your idea sounds just fine. A fighter is a lot of fun to play in BG.

Post Fri May 23, 2003 9:13 pm
Gothic Soul
Master of Shadows
Master of Shadows

I feel the same about BG it is not as good as BG2 but I want to take one character through all the BG saga and who better than the Kensai-Thief. I have a lot of hopes on BG3 being announced soon. And I see it will be using 3rd editions D&D rules.
Post Fri May 23, 2003 11:07 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next