Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
French Gothic 2 expansion on American version?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Figment
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

French Gothic 2 expansion on American version?

Hello everyone,

I bought the US version of Gothic 2 when I was in Philadephia last year (I live in the UK) and I am debating in getting the French version of the expansion pack on amazon.fr when it is released via them on 5th Sept. (amazon's slated date)

Does anyone know, however if the French expansion edition is compatible with the US normal version? I might decide to risk it anyway if no-one knows and report back - but advanced info would be useful.

If the answer is no, I read that the hungarian / czechslovakian versions are all English, is there a czech / hungarian site that ships internationally and that has a translated english language page or an easy to understand order interface where I could try this route?

Thanks for anyones help
Post Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:44 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

I know that the german version works on both the US and UK version of the original game, but that is only after you patch it to German. Unless you can find a patch in French that will enable you to extract its .exe file and replace it with the English one, it won't work. If you do find such a french .exe file, it might very well work.

I don't know of a way to get a English version shipped, otherwise I would've done it already, hehe. There are ways to give the German add-on English subtitles and such though, and probably even voices now that the voice-packages are out, but I haven't really tried so far.
Post Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:38 pm
Figment
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well, in that case it maybe easier either to wait until a US/UK compatible version is released in the US/UK (I've used amazon.com for such before) or get the German Collectors edition which I can apply the patch to and play the expansion with.
Post Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:41 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yup, I suggest you do that. It's worth it in the long run, as there will be no complications that way.
Post Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:28 pm
Hagen
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Hmm id be willing to buy a hungarian copy im pretty confident itd work its just getting a site that ships to the UK.
Post Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:38 pm
Mezzo
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Hagen
Hmm id be willing to buy a hungarian copy im pretty confident itd work its just getting a site that ships to the UK.

http://www.bontonland.cz/hry/rpg/Gothic-2--Night-of-the-Raven-100094.html

This site seems to ship internationally... Click on the UK flag (top left) to make everything in english. I haven't tried it though, let us know if it works
Post Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:19 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Thx Mezzo, I will try to find out whether it can be trusted. And welcome to the forums!
Post Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:37 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Man, that's cheap. I checked some prices just for fun. I already have a german addon and I'm happy with it. But it sure is a lot cheaper than the german addon I ordered.

the addon itself is only 599 CZK, which equals about 20 euro. I paid probably twice as much for it.
Post Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:44 am
Mezzo
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Sem
Man, that's cheap. I checked some prices just for fun. I already have a german addon and I'm happy with it. But it sure is a lot cheaper than the german addon I ordered.

the addon itself is only 599 CZK, which equals about 20 euro. I paid probably twice as much for it.

Yeah but shipping to a EU country costs 674 CZK, that makes it 1273 CZK (about 43 euro).
Post Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:13 am
Monkey Fluff
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

And their standard contact address (info@bontonland.cz) doesn't work, which makes me suspect.
Post Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:24 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Indeed.

Welcome to the forums by the way!
Post Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:43 pm
Lostnumber
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

So I have to ask the obvious question, will the Czech version work with the UK version? I live in the US and have the UK version installed. I would really like the expansion but am hesitant because of any unforeseeable compatibility issues that may crop up. I am ready to order from the Czech site that was so kindly supplied by a savvy forum member, but I see no point in wasting money on something I cannot use. If there is a way to get it to work then please let me know, just keep in mind that I have been out of the Gothic loop for quite some time so if there is an extensive process that I will need to follow then detail will be a necessity. The US has been laboring through a bit of a dry spell when it comes to quality PC games so at this point it looks like our German, Austrian, Czechoslovakian, French, British, and who-ever-the-hell-else-ian friends are going to be the answer. To who ever helps, thank you.
Post Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:06 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

[quote="Mezzo"]
quote:
Originally posted by Sem
Yeah but shipping to a EU country costs 674 CZK, that makes it 1273 CZK (about 43 euro).

Which is the normal price you'd pay in other countries for the game alone!
Post Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:10 pm
Monkey Fluff
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Maylander
Indeed.

Welcome to the forums by the way!

Thanks!

My concern is less with compatibilty and more with the reliability of the e-tailer, you know? From what I understand there should be no issues with installing the Czech version of NotR over an English version of Gothic II as for all intents and purposes it's an English version too.
Post Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:16 pm