Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Confused about "Hybrid" classes in Wizardry 8..!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
shinoSetsuna
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Confused about "Hybrid" classes in Wizardry 8..!

hello all. i am starting up Wizardry 8 w/ a new party after playing it quite a bit last year (but not finisihing!)... after reading quite a bit here on the fora about "Hybrid" class characters being the most powerful later in the game, i wanted to try out some w/ this latest party... but i'm a bit confused.

after reading a post about Hybrids, i created a human mage that was switched to a Samurai at level-2... from the post i had read, it seemed like i would retain the spell-casting skills from being a mage but could start working my way up as a samurai, and to put all bonus points into martial skills after the switch. but, when i switched to samurai at level-2, i found that i could *only* put points into samurai skills, and do not have the option to add points to any spell-related skills... since i had only acquired a couple of spells within the 'fire realm', it seems i will not be able to build up any more power in any realm but fire, and i do not get any new spells as i level up! am i missing something here, what is the benefit to Hybrid-class in this instance? i'd like to try out this new party but don't want to get too deep into the game if i'm doing this wrong...

how does this work? for example, if i have a "lord" who is switched to "bishop" at early level, will he still be able to use swords and armor, and cast spells? i realize his skill w/ martial weapons will continue to rise w/ usage, is this correct?

any clarification about these "hybrid" classes would be great, i'm really wanting to get back into this game but want to make sure to get started properly..! thx in advance all..!
Post Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:03 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Your character's skills are controlled by the current class. So, with your mage/sammy, you wouldn't be able to increase your magic skills until you had enough samurai levels to get the ability to cast spells (level 5 sammy, level 6 overall for the character). Likewise, your lord/bishop would only be able to use equipment appropriate for the bishop. You could only gain skills points for weapons that both the lord and bishop could use- so "swords" would not increase, while "staff" would (if you had started your lord with a staff).

"Hybrid" refers to the melee classes that also get spell abilities- lord, valkyrie, samurai, ninja, ranger, and monk. The characters you've described would be called "multi-classed" or "class switched".
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:13 pm
shinoSetsuna
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Your character's skills are controlled by the current class. So, with your mage/sammy, you wouldn't be able to increase your magic skills until you had enough samurai levels to get the ability to cast spells (level 5 sammy, level 6 overall for the character). Likewise, your lord/bishop would only be able to use equipment appropriate for the bishop. You could only gain skills points for weapons that both the lord and bishop could use- so "swords" would not increase, while "staff" would (if you had started your lord with a staff).

"Hybrid" refers to the melee classes that also get spell abilities- lord, valkyrie, samurai, ninja, ranger, and monk. The characters you've described would be called "multi-classed" or "class switched".

hi dteowner... thx for your quick and informative reply! ok, so, is there any benefit to doing this then that i am missing? to use the mage->samurai as an example, what is the benefit to this as opposed to just starting as a samurai? will she garner stronger magical powers later on due to being 'multi-classed' at level-2 like described? will she be a weaker fighter for the same reason?

also, would the be benefit to starting out as a lord, maxing out the 'dual weapons' skill, then switching over to a true fighter?

the multi-classing procedure seems very confusing to me, the benefits do not seem totally apparent, and there seems much contention on the forums as to whether it is advisable or not. i don't mind a challenge if there are rewards to be gained later in the game though..! thx again!
Post Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:24 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

For the mage/sammy switch, you wouldn't see any benefit until the sammy gained the ability to cast spells (5 levels of samurai). Once you hit that point, those magic skills would become active again. The advantage is that your samurai would "start" with 25 points in wizardry and 7 (?) points in fire, water, earth, and air, rather than 0's across the board. This means your sammy will have much better magic skills than usual, with a minor hit to his/her melee skills (being 1 level behind a "dedicated" samurai). If you want your samurai casting spells, this switch can be valuable. Personally, I want my samurais shredding monsters with swords, not casting spells.

By the time you maxed the lord's dual wield, there wouldn't be much advantage to switching to fighter anymore, IMO.

Personally, I don't think much of multiclassing. Some folks like it, and it can be very useful if you have a specific development plan for your characters. Overall, I think each class has enough to offer skill-wise that there's no need to add extra skills with multiclassing. Just my opinion, though...
Post Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:42 pm
Shadow_Fyre
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Question

Hey Dteowner, gotta a question. I had heard from an unnamed source that if you start as a mage and switch to samurai at lvl2, then at character level 5 you would still get spells since your one level of mage would count towards the mage ability of the samurai which kicks in at level 5 (straight classing samurai that is).

Am I smoking something?
Post Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:50 pm
Shadow_Fyre
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Just Checked

Just used Wolvie's Spell Utility. Using lvl 1 mage, level 4 Samurai- Access to 1st lvl spells. Since you get that with one level of mage, that doesn't say a lot. Figuring hybrids get 2nd lvl spells at 7th level I kept the one lvl of mage and 6 lvl of samurai, whammo, access to 2nd lvl spells. If wolvie's utility is correct, then a lvl of mage (or bishop I gather) would give you count as a lvl of samurai for spell casting. If you took a lvl of non-mage or non-magic class (ftr, brd, etc) then you would need 5 lvls of samurai to get spellcasting.
Post Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:54 pm
mustafa
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Problem with multiclassing a mage

I 've a level 19 mage. I trained him well to cast Death Cloud upto power 2 (power 1 & power 2 green, power 3 is yellow). When he leveled up, I changed him to priest. In one of the battle, I tried to cast Death Cloud through this mage, but all power levels for Death Cloud for this guy (now a Priest) looks red.

So I waited for his next levelup. In his next levelup, I changed him back to mage. Now the power levels for DEath Cloud for this guy came back to normal (power 1 & power 2 green, power 3 is yellow). Can anybody explain why this happens? Because I though by multiclassing, the character should have access to the previous spells with previous power levels.

BTW, this may be my 30th time (approx.), I'm playing Wizardry 8. Everytime I play Wizardry 8, I atleast make up to Southern Wilderness and defeat the Sorceress in the temple. I actually use this Sorceress temple to measure my party's overall power, and to get the party's strong & weak points, areas the party has to improve and other statistics.

I believe this game has replayability every 6 months, just enough time for me to forget the various tricks, traps, monsters, routes and riddles and start the game afresh. Great game!
Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:22 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I don't think you mean "mage" since death cloud is an alchemist-only spell. Most likely the change you saw was due to the 25% bonus. While you were an alchemist, you got the 25% bonus to your stats when determining your casting rating. Once you switched to priest, you were stuck with the unimproved statistic.
Post Tue May 18, 2004 3:59 am