GRIMOIRE: Latest Update on the Beta Test
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

GRIMOIRE: Latest Update on the Beta Test

Cleve has posted a lengthy update on the current state of the Beta Test for Grimoire. Here's a quick snip that gives a good summary:<BR>
<BR>
<!--StartFragment -->
<BLOCKQUOTE><i>Some of the bugs that came out of the beta test were pretty shocking, but most of them were of a very minor variety, merely some empty data or slightly askew logic in a few places. The biggest trouble came from the scripts that drive the NPC characters. The scripting engine is just massively FUBAR on all levels, it doesn't even execute identically in any two runs because of problems it has with parsing the script correctly. I still have not decided what to do about it. <BR>
<BR></i></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>
You'll find it all <A href="http://www.grimoiresystems.com/cms/index.php" target=_blank>Here</A>.<BR>
<BR>
Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:24 am

same old talk

i bet he will program it again from scratch. sorry folks!
Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:25 am

crpgnut
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Does this surprise anyone? How many release dates has Grimoire missed now? Cleve confesses that he'll likely miss October. If he does, I'm guessing it might be another year or more before we see this game. After all, Cleve is a busy man. He told us so himself. It's time to put Grimoire back on the Vaporware shelf where it has always belonged.
Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:36 pm
Yttermayn

Cleave Flakemore

My thoughts exactly, both of you.
Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:42 pm

corwin

Once again I have to explain simple things to simple minds!! This is a LONG and challenging game. It takes TIME to play through it. All the testers are part time volunteers who have real lives and real jobs!! We found a number of bugs which Cleve is fixing. We now need to check those fixes, make sure they work and check they haven't introduced new bugs. That will also take TIME. The game is HUGE. If it misses an October release it won't be Cleve's fault, but ours; we can't test it any faster!!!!!! The game is finished-got that? It's FINISHED!! All that's left is bug fixing and a little cosmetic polish. It will be released just as soon as the testing is done.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:02 pm
Vidder
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

finished or not, its a neverending story. ADMIT IT!
he is playing this game for several years now.
always the same:
1. its soon finished, just some beta tests
2. ominous beta test begins
3. some more bugs than expected are found
4. cleve rethinks some of his ingame mechanisms
5. cleve announces that he won´t make it to this release "year"
6. continue next year with 1.

as sad as it is.. its true.
Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:25 pm
Lucky Day

*sigh*..why won't this go away?

I hope this start another discussion like last time.
Post Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:26 am

niteshade
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I'm not sure how you can say the game is finished, Cleve's post makes it very clear that many things about it are not working at all. At the very best the game is in mid beta (Cleve says it's in the 2nd of 3 beta runs). Certainly no game with the serious problems he is describing can be called finished.

Anyway I'm just happy that people are being reasonably mature in this thread so far. I almost shuddered when I saw another news item about Grimoire because I expected a repeat of the last time. I hope people keep it up.
Post Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:19 am
corwin

The game is finished in the sense that you can play it from start to finish; everything critical is working. Most of the problems are very minor. I've played it twice through already!!

Post Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:34 am
crpgnut
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Corwin, Cleve said that the script engine is completely broken. It doesn't run the same way twice! That's a SERIOUS bug. Read this:

The scripting engine is just massively FUBAR on all levels, it doesn't even execute identically in any two runs because of problems it has with parsing the script correctly. I still have not decided what to do about it.

You may not be a programmer, but believe me if your scripting engine is shot to pieces, your game isn't going to fly. What worked one time may not work at all the next. That's really bad.

Plus, you know Cleve. He's a perfectionist. He won't release the game until he believes it is absolutely flawless. That's why I consider it vaporware. Cleve will never reach perfection, and Grimoire will never be released.
Post Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:57 pm
Yttermayn

Cleve Flakemore

'Nut hit it on the nose. Grimoire has become less like any sort of real product, and more like a sick, run-on joke.
Post Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:12 pm

shaf
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Working with software developers on a daily basis i can understand how long it take to build a product.
I think people expect Grimore to be out soon based on the fact that most RPGs are built by a team of people not a single person.

I respect Cleve and am willing to wait for the final product. I remember how long I waited for Devils Whiskey and that was a team effort.
Post Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:20 pm
niteshade
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Hmm...that would make for an interesting comparison. How long did Devil's Whisky take to come out? I never really followed it.

To give you a basis for comparison, Grimoire was declared virtually finished and almost ready for release about 6 years ago. This latest piece of news is pretty similar what we got 6 years ago, and pretty much every year since then. There was even a "finished" beta 6 years ago that you could play all the way through.
Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:20 am
corwin

You are referring to the DOS beta which Cleve totally re-wrote for Windows. He really didn't have much choice about that. The scripting isn't broken, it's just very buggy. Most of those problems are minor, or have been fixed so they work. When the patch is released to fix these issues, we'll have a better idea whether or not the game will make its current release date.

Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:19 am
Mystery_Guy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

You have to admit, this is funny.

Common sense tells you that (no screenshots + strangely "boilerplated" updates by the designer + no real acknowledgement of the game by any other RPG site + overall community apathy = vaporware)

The indie CRPG community is rather close knit. All these folks are "in it together", and I find it hard to believe grimiore is just that one indie RPG that none of the other folks acknowledge.

Now, you can hoot, holler, scream, complain, and throw silly rantings out that all seemingly point to the contrary, but speaking as someone who once worked on such a project long ago, I think I know what I'm talking about.

If this game is ever released, fully playable, the devil will be wearing mittens. I think someone on RPGdot is getting paid to hock the game...or someone here is one of the contributors.
Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:22 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next