Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Pausing subtitles / Pausing the game mid-dialogue?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Rehia
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Pausing subtitles / Pausing the game mid-dialogue?

Hello everyone,

I did a search for this topic beforehand but it proved fruitless, yet it seems odd that no one asked this before, so I'll risk myself in my first post...

An avid RPGer friend of mine thoughtfully gave me his German versions of Gothic I and II: I'm studying the language and I believe playing this with some help from my Oxford-Duden would still be a lot of fun, and I'm already looking forward to buying Die Nacht des Raben.

My only problem is that I just can't understand written German quickly enough to follow the flow of the game very well. =/ The keyboard's Pause doesnt work, and the Escape key moves on to the next subtitle... I haven't seen any cheat to do this, either??

So, is there a tool or hack, or third-party utility or ANYTHING that can freeze the game mid-dialogue? Is anyone working on this? I'd even overlook potential stability problems! Anything at all would be welcome, I'm desperate!

Thanks for reading. Cya!
Reh
Post Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:05 am
sushimees
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Ok, better save your game before you start testing this thing. Press B while playing or the button, which opens your characters stats. When you do that, then type "marvin" without the ". After that press B again and it should notice you that you have activated the marvin mode. Now you gotta start testing the F1, F2 and those buttons, I think one of the had the option to pause the game. But I warn you that some of the buttons may change camera's forever, which means you gotta restart your game again.

Also, when you activate marvin mode then a little sweet thing, press the O button while facing someone and then you will control him, who you were facing. Press the K button to teleport you a meter forwad, hold it on and you'll move faster than Knight Rider.
M essages
Post Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:21 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

ehm u sure the pause button dosent work ? cos sometimes when i couldent read fast enough also i just pressed the pause button and readed the text then i pressed again the pause button and it continued. i think u should try it again or change the pause button to something else
Post Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:41 pm
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by sushimees
Now you gotta start testing the F1, F2 and those buttons, I think one of the had the option to pause the game.

Um, which one?

[F2] - Marvin console
[F3] - Toggle windowed mode
[F4] - Reset camera
[F5] - Fixed camera view
[F6] - Floating camera view
[F7] - Shift camera
[F8] - Full health and mana

quote:
Originally posted by Daedalus
cos sometimes when i couldent read fast enough also i just pressed the pause button and readed the text then i pressed again the pause button and it continued.

You mean the Pause button on the keyboard? It doesn't work. Is there a special button assigned to pause the game in G2? Edith told me it's F9.

Last edited by Kiwi Boy on Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:52 am; edited 2 times in total
Post Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:03 am
Spike86
Village Leader
Village Leader

F9 will "freeze" the game until you press it again.
but I don't know if then the game will continue to be rock stable if you do that to all the dialogue
Post Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:17 am
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Spike86
but I don't know if then the game will continue to be rock stable if you do that to all the dialogue

The subtitles do not freeze however. They'll go away once a line is finished.
Post Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:47 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Hey there Rehia,

First of all, welcome to forums.

Seems that the only possible option left is for you to try this:-

Go into your Gothic2/system/Gothic.ini file, open it with the default windows text editor, (notepad) make your way down to the line that says:-
"gametextautoscroll=1000" this is the speed setting in milliseconds of all the scroll speeds, now obviously, if you make the number higher, 2000 for example, then save, the text will then scroll slower, i dont know of the slowest speed that can be achieved, but try as slow a setting that you find is possible on your machine, if it can be at least quite slow, it may be sufficient to be able to read.
Hope this will help in some small way
Post Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:29 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

if u enter the options controls in gothic 2 u can see there is a button named pause , change it to something u like and then when u are talking just press that button. it works by me
Post Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:59 am
Rehia
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks guys, I've noted your tips and will try everything once I have a minute =)

Cya,
Reh
Post Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:36 am