Bytespawn
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

quote:
Originally posted by Val
1. Did you bother to read my posts?

Maybe , maybe not
quote:
2. Yes, Divine Divinity was developed by Larian Studios.

i knew, i didn't knew if beyond divinity was from LARIAN, but it made it clear anyway.
quote:
3. That is irrelavant. All that one needs to make something similar to an ancient culture are some good history books and taking a look at the art and writtings of that era.

maybe, but do people who live in america learn as much medieval history in europe as in europe itself? History books are no match for historical experts.
(not that you you need a historicus to create a meatbug, though )
quote:
4. If one does not speak out against such blatant and wrong stereotypes, then you accept them with your silence.

sure, whatever.
quote:
Then I'm sure you were thoroughly entertained while reading this thread.
I was!
Post Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:18 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

@Gorath: Big publishers "give a damn" if they want to keep their customers. If they want their customers to be the mainstream ones, then why should they care what a niche market wants?

quote:
Originally posted by corwin
I rest my case!! Thanks Gorath, well said.

Which point was that, the one that the only quality games produced come from Europe or that all Americans are greedy?

@Bytespawn: If you aren't going to bother reading the posts here, then that makes your comments even more irrelevant.
quote:
Originally posted by Bytespawn
maybe, but do people who live in america learn as much medieval history in europe as in europe itself? History books are no match for historical experts.

In public school curriculum, no. But one can certainly pursue it in college over here if they wish. We probably have quite a few historical experts on medieval history, not that it matters any in game design since game design is at it's heart fictitious. The same applies to movie making. The creators aren't concerned with historical accurracy as long as it looks believable.
Post Sun Dec 28, 2003 8:33 pm
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

Hey I got a lot of stones left, maybe not enough to start building a complete wall between our continents but it's a start for those who believe one continent is better than the other.
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:41 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by Val
@Gorath: Big publishers "give a damn" if they want to keep their customers.

They create/sign games for a big anonymous mainstream audience. In case of EA this means they do not invest in games without projected sales of at least 600k units. The single customer is of no interest for them, except of being a data set in a DB, which can of course be used for various purposes. The target audience as a whole is of course important.

quote:
If they want their customers to be the mainstream ones, then why should they care what a niche market wants?
Who said they should care? That they donīt leaves a niche open for smaller companies.
Post Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:04 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin

Yes, you're right. My question is - why? Bernd Lehann from Egosoft says they deliberately avoided a mouse-pointer in any part of X2 to improve immersion. Frankly, he's just plain wrong. I suspect that's just marketing spin to cover the fact they re-used the menu structure from X:BTF / X:T and saved the development time on a new interface.

Yes, this sounds like a budget problem to me. Egosoft probably thought developing a new interface was too expensive. Could have cost a man year or two.

quote:
Or do they really believe their own hype (same thing probably goes for Gothic/2)?
Gothic probably only had weak interface design. When they got external input it was too late to do more than adding mouse support. G2 had an extremely small budget and a short development time. More than optimisations wasnīt possible.

Maybe some of the smaller companies did their homework in the meantime. Most full price games take about 2 years development time. The games released in the past year were started before the crash.
Post Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:20 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3