Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Is it true??? Holy moly! Thank you god!!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by Kiwi Boy

AFAIK, both English and German versions of Gothic are developed by only a team of people (only a few dozens of people are in Piranha Bytes).

Only one dozen developers, plus one for management stuff.

quote:
Originally posted by SirDiety
I know they are made in Germany, but is it a team of developers in a large company spread throughout different countries?

Nope. Small independent company located in Bochum.
Gothic II was developed last year. Now they´re working on the add-on and the Gothic III preproduction.
Post Mon Jun 23, 2003 6:09 am
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

Doesn't a Gothic MMORPG sound awesome?

Gothic Atlas
I am the founder and former leader of a guild in EQ, retired member of The Code in EQ, original member of KOE in AOE2, past Corporal of EVO in MOHAA, respected veteran of UT 2003, a conquerer of all decent games, and an aspiring game developer.

Gothic's Loyal Hero, SirDeity
Post Mon Jun 23, 2003 4:52 pm
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Doesn't a Gothic MMORPG sound awesome?

Gothic Atlas

Absolutely not.
Post Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:08 pm
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

LOL Kiwi. I take it someone else has already asked you that question. I think a Gothic-like MMORPG would be sweet. However, it would have to be very different in some ways. The AI is perhaps most noteworthy.

I'm ordering the game tonight. I think it should arrive on Wednesday.

About the hardware requirements: I am sure I will be fine, but has anyone who's played the US version had any troubles? I'm interested in reading some of them before I start playing the game, but don't have time to search the threads. Give me a few links of people who've had problems running the English version.

Is there an ETA on Gothic 3?

Is the plug-in going to be an expansion of Gothic 2? What's the difference between an expansion and a plug-in?

What Gothic/Morrowind/Arx Fatalis-like games can we look forward to after we've all finnished Gothic 2? ;Is there anything you've got your eye on that you'd recommend to a Gothic series fanatic?

Thanks!

PS. I'm curious Kiwi. How did you come up with that surname? Do you like the fruit or the native to New Zealand birds (apteryx)?
I am the founder and former leader of a guild in EQ, retired member of The Code in EQ, original member of KOE in AOE2, past Corporal of EVO in MOHAA, respected veteran of UT 2003, a conquerer of all decent games, and an aspiring game developer.

Post Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:41 pm
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

Three more quick questions:

The biggest complaint from people who've played the English version seems to be the voice acting. The only thing I want to know is whether or not the voice acting is better or worse than Gothic.

I think there are two options of controls you can use. The classic version is the exact same as Gothic, yes? I want the controls to be exactly the same as the first Gothic. Is this going to be an issue for me?

It seems like most the people who post about Gothic 2 are still level 1 or 2. Do you think many people have conquered the entire US version of the game yet?

Post Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:23 pm
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
About the hardware requirements: I am sure I will be fine, but has anyone who's played the US version had any troubles? I'm interested in reading some of them before I start playing the game, but don't have time to search the threads. Give me a few links of people who've had problems running the English version.

Personally don't have any problems. With your powerful PC, I doubt you'll have any problem at all.
  • Here, Gorath posted an FAQ about problems with Gothic 2. You may want to peek through it.
  • The VDFS program can greatly slows down the loading process of the game, even on a fast machine. You may want to check this out
  • I heard that not all the translations are complete, but that's minor.
  • Some people have problems with the dragons being invulnerable. It's a quest bug and is not related on the machine.

So, in general, unless you're using some "unfriendly" video cards such as Radeon 9700, the game should run perfectly.

quote:
Is the plug-in going to be an expansion of Gothic 2? What's the difference between an expansion and a plug-in?

Read the news at Gothic@RPGDot. The German addon, The Night of the Raven, will be released on Aug 20. And sorry. No details about the addon.

quote:
What Gothic/Morrowind/Arx Fatalis-like games can we look forward to after we've all finnished Gothic 2? ;Is there anything you've got your eye on that you'd recommend to a Gothic series fanatic?

There are MANY threads about Gothic-like games. In this post, for instance, Roach had listed a few dozens of links forwarding to this threads about this topic. You may want to go there.

quote:
The biggest complaint from people who've played the English version seems to be the voice acting. The only thing I want to know is whether or not the voice acting is better or worse than Gothic.

Personal preferance, but what happens when I say worse? Even though the voice-acting may not be as good as before, the organic world of Gothic is still well-maintained by its graphics, character / monster AI, ambient sounds, music, and last but not the least, voice-acting. I think you'll still be impressed by that.

quote:
I think there are two options of controls you can use. The classic version is the exact same as Gothic, yes? I want the controls to be exactly the same as the first Gothic. Is this going to be an issue for me?

No. Just change one of the options in the configuration menu, and boom. Perfectly Gothic 1 controls

quote:
It seems like most the people who post about Gothic 2 are still level 1 or 2. Do you think many people have conquered the entire US version of the game yet?

As far as I can estimate from the Spoilers forum, most people finish the game at least once. They're now progressing through the game with their second character.

quote:
I'm curious Kiwi. How did you come up with that surname? Do you like the fruit or the native to New Zealand birds (apteryx)?

My surname is not based on fruit or nationality. It's just based on my initials. One of my best friends called me like that 8 years ago. Since then, that's my surname.
Post Wed Jun 25, 2003 6:08 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2