Dungeon Lords CE Review @ Boomtown
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Kalia
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Dungeon Lords CE Review @ Boomtown

Boomtown has posted its review of the collector's edition of Dungeon Lords. The subtitle asks the reader, "Can it hold a candle to Oblivion". Judging by the 3/10 stars it garnered, apparently not. Three sentences sum it up nicely: <blockquote><em>Running away is a decent strategy, actually. If you see Dungeon Lords on the counter in your local games store, run away. Run as though your life depended on it.</em></blockquote>Read the rest <a href="http://rpg.boomtown.net/en_uk/articles/art.view.php?id=11130" target="_blank">here</a>.
Post Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:44 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

This review is *NOT* for the Collector's Edition, based on this quote alone:
quote:
You cannot customize the look of your character despite the manual actually saying you can.

And while I don't disagree with many of the sentiments, I get no impression from the review that he ever got out of Fargrove - the basic review is 'it's ugly, not as nice as Oblivion, now go away'. Thanks for the hint

If you think a game is crap - especially a RPG - give some decent reasons.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:47 pm
Kalia
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

While it doesn't show in the forum article, I've edited the article on the front page to reflect that this was not a review of the CE. Thanks for pointing that out.
Post Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:25 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

I admit I registered last night there to leave a nasty comment about that review. I can't stand Dungeon Lords but I *really* can't stand reviews that completely lack objectivity and essentially flame away. I totally agree that he probably never got out of Fargrove. Where is his discussion of the leveling system? Magic system? Combat system development? If anything, DL actually has a decent action combat system once you develop the dodging skills.

Bottom line is that this is a really terrible and outright irresponsible review. Bradley and crew deserve the dignity of a bit more objectivity from a so called "professional" review.

And to the knucklehead who flamed me over there - should you read this - I despise DL because of the horrible spawning and repetitive gameplay. Its just not a fun game.
Post Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:15 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by ToddMcF2002
Bottom line is that this is a really terrible and outright irresponsible review. Bradley and crew deserve the dignity of a bit more objectivity from a so called "professional" review.

They deserve to get properly slammed for the problems they have, not because their year-old game doesn't match the graphics of a brand new, best-in-class engine!

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:38 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

quote:
Originally posted by txa1265

They deserve to get properly slammed for the problems they have, not because their year-old game doesn't match the graphics of a brand new, best-in-class engine!
Mike

Oh no - coming from you one of the games few defenders! You have to admit this review was far from objective. There is a certain responsibility when you write a public review associated with a news site to have a certain level of objectivity. Claiming that DL has 1998 graphics and bad textures is totally absurd. Failure to talk about the games major attributes (whether positive or negative) is negligent.

The review is a total troll post.
Post Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:43 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by ToddMcF2002
The review is a total troll post.

Yeah, I was just joking around. Your point is absolutely correct - judge the game on its' merits. I was just taking it to the extreme - we all know the game is flawed (regardless of how much fun I've had playing it!), but that is one of those horrid reviews.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:05 pm
Sherwin

I hate to say it, they screwed people over with that game. I really really enjoyed playing until I hit a major bug and couldn't continue. I'm an old school rpger so I'm not too much into graphics so I mainly go for gameplay. That game could've been really good but now its just sitting there collecting dust.
Post Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:28 pm

txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by Sherwin
I hate to say it, they screwed people over with that game.

It is really sad (going to chime in here Dhruin ) that they didn't take the 'high road' and give away the Collector's Edition content for free - after being my personal 'most disappointing game of 2005' and more than one magazine's 'worst game of the year', they charged $40 for what amounts to patches, bringing content up to original promise and a few extras.

They could have earned tremendous goodwill, instead they earned yet more ill-will.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:32 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

quote:
Originally posted by txa1265

It is really sad (going to chime in here Dhruin ) that they didn't take the 'high road' and give away the Collector's Edition content for free - after being my personal 'most disappointing game of 2005' and more than one magazine's 'worst game of the year', they charged $40 for what amounts to patches, bringing content up to original promise and a few extras.

They could have earned tremendous goodwill, instead they earned yet more ill-will.

Mike

Totally agree. In fact if they had just given the original purchasers a big discount or SOMETHING to at least recognize us it could have been at least partially justified. As it stands though - they (Dreamcatcher) and Heuristic Park have totally alienated the gamers they were trying to attract. Who are they targeting now? The unleary impulse buyer I guess. Very sad. The engine is not a bad one by any stretch. With some design work, some extra coding and effort it could have been great.

How depressing. Yeah definately my #1 disappointment as well. The fact that it wasnt just a failure - but complete travesty - makes it so much more painful. *sigh*

The review still sucks a$$ though.
Post Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:52 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Good job ToddMcF2002

As I've said previously, I like just reading the various jibes and such that have been directed at the game, some reviews and commentary have had me actually cracking up. Like a sarcastic review of a horrible film, a well-worded DL bashing is quite entertaining. I was cracking up myself just playing the demo for the original.

That said, I think this guy figured he'd have no resistance whatsoever to a fun little cruise-control pummel of a pretty much universally-despised game. I do and have always totally disagreed about the graphical criticisms of the game. This is the sticking point with me, and has been when I read other people's rants toward the game. Granted, I have not played the full version, but what I saw in the demos has been pretty damn cool looking. It just played like hell

Just look at those screenshots, look pretty good to me.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:04 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

quote:
Originally posted by xSamhainx
Good job ToddMcF2002

As I've said previously, I like just reading the various jibes and such that have been directed at the game, some reviews and commentary have had me actually cracking up. Like a sarcastic review of a horrible film, a well-worded DL bashing is quite entertaining. I was cracking up myself just playing the demo.

That said, I think this guy figured he'd have no resistance whatsoever to a fun little cruise-control pummel of a pretty much universally-despised game. I do and have always totally disagreed about the graphical criticisms of the game. This is the sticking point with me, and has been with other people who have used it in their rants toward the game. Granted, I have not played the full version, but what I saw in the demos has been pretty damn cool looking. It just played like hell

Just look at those screenshots, look pretty good to me.

I get incensed by this kind of bashing because the game does have some postive attributes and some people actually like it. This reminds me of the kind of bashing you see for ToEE and POR2 - games that also have positive attributes but tend to get the short end of the stick. When this kind of thing happens it means publisher dollars don't get allocated for risky projects. Sure they deserve criticism but it needs to be objective. Making a "sport" out of bashing certain titles is very destructive to sales and it puts good studios like Troika out of business ultimately. Unless people want to play console games they really need to give the more complicated development projects (rpgs!) some allowances for issues. I thought PCGamer had a really good DL review - it gave it a 46% but it was very objective about what the problems were.
Post Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:18 pm
sandy168798
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Get more money in game

where you want to find good life ,of course in the games .beause in the real life ,we have many distresses and pain only in the games if we have enough gold to buy the good arms ,and we can play the games well.so i'll give u one website games you can buy the gold from them ,beause they have good server and their service is so good let me tell you .if you can try it ,and you can get a surprise from them.
network games:
US WOW Eve online
EURO WOW Ragnarok oneline
FFXI RoseOnline
DAoC Rune Scape
EQ2 Guild Wars
Star Wars Galaxies
Matrix and so on or Power Leveling
you also can contact them via:
AIM:gilssales
Yahoo: sellgilstoyou
Msn:gils_sales@hotmail.com
http://www.gneedg.com
Post Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:55 am
Kalia
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Ban Sandy.
Post Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:21 am
Travleer

publishers dollars come from critical and most importantly economical successs like BG2 and Elder scrolls series. publishers and developers like those who made DL are just after a quick buck. i dont think the utter failur od DL hurts the rpg genre.

there are several well stblished developers and publishers currently working on the next greatest cRPGs. we just have to realize that th golden age of 5 golb box SSI RPGs are gone. 1 or 2 a year is the limit. stop buying all the opportunistic crap in between.
Post Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:24 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next