Gavin Carter Responds to Concerns on Shadows in Oblivion
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Moxie
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Gavin Carter Responds to Concerns on Shadows in Oblivion

Elders Scroll's forum moderator CCNA has compiled a <A href="http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=227652&st=0" target=_blank>group</A> of Gavin Carter's responses to the <A href="http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10077&newsid=45814" target=_blank>discussion</A> over changes in Oblivion's shadow-rendering approach. <BR>
<BR>

<BLOCKQUOTE><i>
<P>The shadows I talked about in the Beyond3D interview(<A href="http://www.beyond3d.com/interviews/oblivion">http://www.beyond3d.com/interviews/oblivion</A>): Only characters get shadows now. </P>
<P>Other than that, no major changes have taken place in either the renderer or art assets that would affect quality of visuals on a global scale, so if you think it looks worse then it's an effect of video compression or low settings (or you've just been looking at Oblivion stuff way too long )<BR></P></i></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>

Concerns over objects not casting shadows in the new system are addressed in the thread by pointing out that objects do not cast shadows in any of the already-released screenshots. It looks like new screenshots from a system running on high settings will be required before we can do much more than speculate.
Post Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:30 am
pmk

Bs

in the e3 video, they showed us and made a big deal out of that ribcage casting shadown, and those chains
i still want it as an option... there are other games that have 2 or more distinct ways of handling some effects, why not oblivion
doom 3 had 5 different rendering paths, why can't they have 2 ways of deling with shadows ?
Post Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:34 am

ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Total copout and blatant disregard for the PC's capability with upcoming video cards. We can all collectively thank MS and the XBox 360 for the dumbing down of Oblivion.
Post Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:49 pm
Shimbatha
Village Leader
Village Leader

ToddMcf: *Claps* Total agreement there.

I was reading on one of the forums (either the [H]ard forum, or the Evil Avatar one) where some schmuck named "Ben Skywalker" claimed the 360 was capable of more (graphically) then a top of the line PC. God...what an imbecile. Guess he must be jealous that he can't plunk down thousands a year on new hardware and/or a new rig.

I have FEAR for the PC, and Condemned for the Xbox 360. Both run on the exact same engine...heck, condemned's version of the engine had actually been "fixed up" a bit since it was used it FEAR. And yet, when comparing both side by side, my PC-powered FEAR blows my 720p HDTV Condemned away. Simple as that.

The Xbox 360 isn't much different from the original. Plus, you mean to tell me WE have to make sacrifices for the 360, which has only 512mb of system RAM which it SHARES with the video card (Which doesn't have its own RAM). Come on now...

It isn't the fact that our PC version will be dumbed down now that bothers me...what really bothers me is that they have everyone thinking that it's the PCs fault that this has happened.
Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:08 am
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

In other highlights - did anyone see these Gavin quotes that were recently deleted????

"... and I'm not allowed to enable object shadows on the PC version, even as an option because it would be playable on an ATI x1900 and would look waaaaay better than the XBox 360. Since Microsoft says the 360 is the future of Hi-Def gaming... well then damnit that's the future of Hi-Def gaming and I have to just agree! That's what Bill told me ya know."

Also

"... and you guys should feel lucky! I argued with Bill for DAYS! I refused to release a lower texture resolution pack for the PC like they made that other company do for King Kong just to make the 360 look waaaay superior! Thank goodness I won that battle. He also asked me to make the code less efficient on the PC but... errr... I think he was just joking? Don't worry I didnt do it LOL..."
Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:37 pm