Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Need advise on my thief character (possible spoilers)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
Merz
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Need advise on my thief character (possible spoilers)

I am level 7 character whith high dexterity (18) and moderate strength (10) and Constitution (10). I boosted my stealth (83) and Close Combat (70) skills. Additionally am sufficient with ranged combat, technical and object knowledge skills. Storyline-wise, my caracter has just escaped the ambush of Ysedes (damn name :) in the castle of Arx.

Now I noticed, that I put too much into my dexterity and the way combat works (maximize damage, close-in, hit, step back, etc..) the dexterity is somewhat less important then strength. The weapon with the highest so far dexterity requirements in my possession is a stealth dagger of ratman (14 DX), which seems to be not powerfull enuf against touh monsters.

So my problem is I am too weak for direct combat with enemies like liches and Ysedes, and my stealth skills does not help me much.. Not that I can't kill them but I can hardly take one, not to mention few of them at the same time.

And the questions that bother me are:
- Is it possible to finish the game without engaging into combat with tough monsters?
- Which skills should I appoint the future points to? (BTW, I really would like to invest into Object knowledge and Technical skils to be able to open more locks, create complex portions, identify objects, etc..)

Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Post Thu Nov 28, 2002 11:57 am
CaptainBob
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
And the questions that bother me are:
- Is it possible to finish the game without engaging into combat with tough monsters?
- Which skills should I appoint the future points to? (BTW, I really would like to invest into Object knowledge and Technical skils to be able to open more locks, create complex portions, identify objects, etc..)

I think it would be relatively challenging to solve this game as a thiefly-type. You'd have to be at least a bit fighter-like, unless you are good at a bow and have the bow that shoots fireballs.

I would also say that getting magic to at least 30, so you can cast "speed" and/or "armor" would help. Speed is an awesome spell for a mainly-fighting type, because you can dance it, WHAP, dance back, which is a good way to kill Ylsides and the tougher foes (demons, liches, etc)

So, my advice to you as a thief is to get your fighting skills up a bit, get a bit of magic, and get a LOT of healing and mana potions. I was a complete scrooge on healing potions (and could brew them myself since I had a 50 object knowledge), so I went into the final battle with like 45 healing potions. I don't think you *need* 45 potions, but you'll want more than 10. Or regen rings. Or heal scrolls. Or you'll take a while to solve the final battle-- its definitely challenging, IMHO.

Captain Bob[/quote]
Post Mon Dec 09, 2002 3:52 am