Star Wars: KotOR 2 - EGM Article Scans
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Star Wars: KotOR 2 - EGM Article Scans

As we <a href="http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10077&newsid=26724" target="_blank">reported</a> back in March, Electronic Gaming Monthly (EGM) does indeed have a cover article on Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2. <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.com/" target="_blank">RPG Codex</a> has found some reasonable <a href="http://www.nforce.nl/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14775" target="_blank">scans</a> of the article on the Nforce.nl forums. Fans of Black Isle will no doubt notice that Chris Parker is the Producer and Chris Avellone is the Lead Designer.
Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:15 am

So - the same small playing areas, the same canned fight sequences. A no doubt to-be heavily overrated sequel to a heavily overrated adventure game wrongly called an 'RPG'. Check out the Dark Emperor's new clothes everyone!!
Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:17 am

Wolfgarou
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

With experienced people under the helm, I think this'll be a sequel to look out for. Overrated? Maybe... Adventure game in RPG clothes, I don't think so
Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:37 am
OctarineDragon
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I haven't seen the CGW sister article to this one yet, so I'm aware that I've only seen one side of the coin, but I can't say I'm exactly overwhelmed.

The article quotes one of the team members (Gallo, IIRC) to say that they didn't plan on extending functionality, just content.
That is odd. I thought the stong part of KotOR had been content, with functionality severely lacking. Now, 2 years later (fall 05, I'd guess), PC gamers will be faced with a new KotOR game sporting a doubtlessly nice new story but the same technology (somewhat dated already in 2003) and, worse, interface which felt awfully clumsy and restricted. So what improvements exactly are we to expect from this sequel apart from a new plot and maybe some gameplay mechanics (extended workbench options and some fancy feat/jedi power gimmicks)?
Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:52 pm
Wolfgarou
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Really? I thought the original KOTOR lacked content, but had a good story! Besides running around doing quests, there was nothing else to do (not much interactivity), besides some side games and the workbench. Hence I didn't finish the game coz I got bored playing about halfway thru...lol.
Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:04 pm
OctarineDragon
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

This is semantics:
I consider 'story' as part of 'content', much as 'dialogue', 'items', 'background information' and certainly the extent and presentation of the gameworld.
On the other hand, 'interactivity', along with 'gameplay mechanics', 'combat system', 'interface' belongs to 'functionality', in my book.

So I think in essence, we agree
Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:03 pm
Dhruin

Has two **Spoilers**

Boy am I with Octarine on this. I enjoyed KotOR but there was a whole bunch of issues that really annoyed me. Bear in mind I'm covering what I'd like fixed so I'm not bashing the game as such!

- Perhaps the Xbox was fine but the PC interface - particularly the inventory and lackof paper-doll - was awful.

- MCA discusses how he used only Critical Strike basically the whole game so they'll have more animations because he was bored of it. D'Oh!! I can't believe MCA said that! He hit the nail on the head and then took a right-turn. The source of the problem is not enough interesting/useful active feats. Fix that, not (only) the animations!

- I didn't think KotOR's story was that great. It was very similar to NWN's 'find the four waterdavian creatures', then Aribeth turns evil. It was much better told but I hope Obsidian do a better job.

- I'm a bit dubious about the beginning. I'm a Jedi who doesn't have a lightsabre and must regain my powers? Hmm...

- Please, please, please balance/improve ranged weapons.

There's more but that will do.

On the plus side it sounds like there's better support for evil characters, particularly when it comes to influencing party members. Not being able to take Juhani as an evil party member was lame.
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:17 am