Usergroups
Your Favorite Martial Arts/Samurai Movies
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Books & Movies

Author Thread
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

OK, I'm replying to myself, and yes I do feel dirty and ashamed, but it's worth it to recommend a great film to you all. "Mibu Gishi Den" finally arrived (it was delayed for weeks, but it finally showed up with a free silver letter-opener!) and much to my surprise and joy, it was actually even better than Twilight Samurai! This is seriously a fantastic film, and not one that will only appeal to Samurai buffs... it tells us about the complexities of their code of honour and sense of duty (and not just the Samurai, but the "normal" folk that existed in that world too) in a way that we can all understand... but I won't say more than that, for fear of spoiling it.

A brilliant, brilliant film. My only criticism is that maybe the emotional button-pushing is a little too strong at times, but in the face of the film's good points this really is a non-issue. Kengo2019, I know you'll like this one, and I recommend it to everyone else too. The English title is "When The Last Sword Is Drawn."
Post Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:40 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

quote:
Originally posted by piln
Mibu Gishi Den" finally arrived (it was delayed for weeks, but it finally showed up with a free silver letter-opener!) and much to my surprise and joy, it was actually even better than Twilight Samurai! . Kengo2019, I know you'll like this one, and I recommend it to everyone else too. The English title is "When The Last Sword Is Drawn."

I try to find a copy. I am always up for a new sword movie.

You like Lovecraft writings right? You NEED to rent Uzemaki. It's a groovy Japanese horror movie that is very influenced by Lovecraft. It's only horror movie influenced by Lovecraft that is anywhere close to his writings.
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:40 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by kengo2019
You like Lovecraft writings right? You NEED to rent Uzemaki. It's a groovy Japanese horror movie that is very influenced by Lovecraft. It's only horror movie influenced by Lovecraft that is anywhere close to his writings.

Hey, you must be psychic. I've just ordered a copy! I'm quite looking forward to it, especially now after your recommendation - I've been disappointed with every western Lovecraft "homage" I've seen so far (most of them were just weak slasher flicks), and this looks like the best effort I'm aware of. I oredered it after seeing the trailer on a DVD of "Long Dream" (a Japanese short TV horror movie, quite good, but with ridiculous/hilarious make-up effects and awful music).

(as far as games go, hopefully the new Cthulhu game will be great; the only one I've played previously that did a really good job was Eternal Darkness)

While frothing at the mouth (metaphotically speaking, of course) about Mibu Gishi Den, I forgot about the other samurai films I've seen recently. These include two versions of "Samurai Reincarnation" - a crazy story involving lots of real-life characters in a decidedly not-real-life scenario - it's about a samurai who gave up the warrior's code to follow Cristianity, along with his followers, and the Shogunate had them all killed (all true so far, I think) - then, after death, he renounces Christianity and turns to Hell instead, comes back to life, resurrects similarly tormented souls and leads them on a revenge jaunt. I think that stuff is made up. Anyway, it has Miyamoto Musashi, Yagyu Jubei and his father & siblings and some other historical figures I'm not so familiar with. The earlier version is by Kinji Fukasaku, who directed Battle Royale, and is far better than the remake (10 years later, not bad, but not great either). Apparently there is another version & sequel which are worse still.

Also saw Shogun's Samurai (aka Yagyu Conspiracy) which is also by Fukasaku, and it's about two brothers vying to be the 3rd Tokugawa Shogun after pops croaks in suspicious circumstances. Once more we have Yagyu Jubei and his father and siblings, and between this film and the 2 versions of 'Reincarnation, I've seen 3 different explanations of how Jubei lost his eye! Anyway... this is a good film too, takes a while to build its momentum up, but once it gets going it's great. Fabulous ending (despite a little bit of unnecessary narration).

And finally Roningai. This is the polar opposite of almost every samurai flick I've seen - it's set during the decline of the samurai age, like many such films, but this one focuses on samurai who have already become masterless and sunk into rather squalid existences... almost everyone is drunk for much of the movie, and honour is not high on anyone's list of priorities, really. Strange, maybe, that this film then goes on to illustrate the principles of the samurai way very effectively. Although this was made in 1990, it has the feel of a 70s film. I really enjoyed it, it has great characters and a wicked sense of humour, and it's very different to your typical samurai flick.
Post Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:29 am
Amelia
City Guard
City Guard

I've been enjoying a lot of oldschool Zatoichi lately. Then I popped on Kitano's interpretation and it's fire material. Highly recommended.

quote:
Originally posted by Evil Ash
Ong Bak is the best martial arts film on the face of the planet. It's Muay Thai boxing, and what makes it so amazing is, well... the people actually hit eachother. Of course it's a damn fine movie all around, but it is just unbelievable. No wires are used for any of the stunts (done by people, but they are used once during a taxi chase scene, on a taxi... I think) and it's just... mind blowing. This movie is THE martial arts film to see. If you havn't, you are not a martial arts fan. All must witness its glory.

I saw this a couple weeks ago actually and it was pretty good. Not too much for the story but after seeing it, who cares? Only hits to the face are 'movied' up. Great martial art flick. Phanom Yeerum is really talented and has a hellacious elbow drop.
Post Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:32 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Shanghai Knights, Anna and The King, The Last Samurai, The Matrix trilogy, is not really a Samurai or Martial Arts movies (if you prefer a more specific classification).

Shanghai Knights is simply Jacky Chan action film specially packaged for Western audiece, like his Shangjai Noon, Rush Hour, and its sequel. His earlier effort to enter Hollywood entertainment industry including the Rumble in the Bronx. Most local Hong Kong entertaiment journalists would probably point up that. Same thing with Anna and The King and the The Last Samurai, they are Hollywood films. The Matrix trilogy is influeced by Ghost in Shell film, and added the Kung Fu flavor. It's science fiction with Kung Fu.

The Hong Kong film industry already waning for several years now since late 1990s. They seem to slowly recover recently as supports start coming in from Chinese government (still many negative restrictions) and its huge market. Real live action or drama films in Japan never been as big as her gigantic anime industry and its popularity. The Ring and many horror movies only became popular several years ago, even then they were low cost productions. The film industry is lagging far behind Hollywood except the animation entertaiment. Kurosawa's film is outdated, as i heard most younger generation dislike or don't care about his works anymore; and no one capable to replace his position so far.

There are several very good Hong Kong films; A Better Tomorrow (1986), directed by John Woo - famous for the slow-motion gunplay and battle sequences and years later we all saw its shadow in Max Payne action games. Tsui Hark, well known box-office director produced many popular films: Once Upon A Time in China (starred Jet Li), A Chinese Ghost Story, Zu: Warriors from the Magic Montain.

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
My recent favorite is - indeed - Kung Pow: Enter the Fist

I haven't watch yet but the film horribly kicked by reviewers. For weird funny film i recommend Shaolin Soccer staring Stephen Chow, famous for acting nerdy but most often stupid character with tons of nonsense jokes. Essentially the film is about soccer + Kung Fu + cute chick (but she has bald head!). The english version was out in US last years i think and available in DVD.

For art film, i suggest Eat Drink Man woman (english ver. available) by Taiwanee director Ang Lee. He's talented and can handle well western movies (Sense and Sensibility, Ride with the Devil, etc). Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is well received in the west and winning Oscars but in Asia the ticket sales mostly so-so, maybe the same reason because i watched tons of similar movies in 1980s so it's not really interesting.
Post Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:47 am
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

I'm a big fan of Ang Lee. I've loved everything except Sense & Sensibility. Can't wait to see what he does next.

I love that new Zatoichi, having never seen the old Shintaro Katsu movies. I bought a cheap DVD triple-pack the other day which contained one of them, Zatoichi Meets Yojimbo, but I haven't watched it yet. (the other films were Red Lion and Ambush at Blood Pass, all three starring Toshiro Mifune)

Still haven't seen OngBak either, I really need to track it down. I have "House of Flying Daggers" (Zhang Yimou's follow-up to "Hero") waiting for me at home, I think I'm gonna watch it when I get back from work tonight.
Post Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:07 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

The title "House of Fying Daggers" kind of strange and confusing. It refer to an alliance or a martial art group with its members skilled in the art of using dagger in combat. In the movie they are revolutionary group during the waning days of Dynasty Tang. The original title make much more sense; from a proverb i think, associated with dire situation - surrounded, no way out, dead end. That's pretty accurate consider the situation and relationship between the three important characters in end of the movie.

The movie became much more interesting when near half way through, but that didn't mean the earlier part is bad. Good story, good acting, good cinematography and music, and yes, many good action sequences. The film is beter than Zhang Yimou previous movie, Hero. If you liked CTHD and Hero, don't miss this one.

One weak point is not much depth in characterization of characters. Russell Crowe in Gladiator has habit of picking up soil and smell it. Tom Hanks in Saving Private Ryan with one of his hand problem (quivering). These actually adding personality, habit, or blemish/imprefection to a character.
Post Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:51 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

What was the original title? Anyway, an alternative viewpoint on "Flying Daggers" - I was pretty disppointed. It's tough to talk about without giving anything away, but suffice to say I was thoroughly enjoying it for about the first half, thanks to some great, imaginative fight scenes, incredible looks and many intriguing, slightly bewildering (in a good way) plot developments. But after the midway point, I felt that everything - script, characterisation, and (most surprisingly) even the quality of the action scenes - went totally downhill and became completely uninteresting and predictable. Shame.

Personally, I thought Hero was far better, CTHD better still. This film was fun for a while, but had none of the cerebral impact of Hero, or emotional impact of CTHD - it did, however, have much more outlandish action than both films, that worked incredibly well for the first half - if only it had kept it up rather than focusing on the melodrama towards the end, it could have been a superb action movie. Still, I would recommend seeing it just for the spectacle of the early scenes (Mei weilding a sword with her sleeve is incredible, and something great happens whenever Jin goes for his bow & arrows - though scarce, I believe these scenes were at least as good as any of Legolas' archery feats) - just don't expect to be satisfied at the end (instead, skip back and watch the early fight scenes again!)

Spoiler:
One thing that particularly annoyed me was when we finally found out the full truth of Leo's predicament - he'd been subtly fascinating all the way through, someone who was clearly "more than meets the eye," and when we finally discover the agonising situation he's in, he becomes a superb sympathetic character - then, in literally a couple of minutes, he takes a thoroughly unconvincing - and irreversible - nosedive into 2-dimensional villain territory. That really annoyed me, because up to that point, Leo made a more likely candidate for the film's ultimate hero than Jin ever acheived - at the very least, he'd been portrayed as a wise and honourable man, and the course of action he took (even under such strain) was simply not believable, IMO.

Another thing that just seemed like a needless waste to me was the pedestrian nature of the final fight scenes - we know that the General's troops were finally advancing on the Flying Daggers, and of course, we don't need to see the ensuing battle to know that it takes place. But when the final fights between Leo & Mei, and Leo & Jin are so much less engaging than any of the preceding battles, it's clear something is wrong. I strongly feel that their resolution should have taken place in the midst of the General vs. Daggers battle (and then, of course, peripheral characters & events could have added depth and perspective to the plight of the main three). But this, IMO, is a sign of the film's one terminal flaw - Zhang Yimou failed to recognise its value as a straight action movie, and believed that the drama was more important. Indeed, in the case of Hero and (Ang Lee's) CTHD, this is true; these are martial arts films where the "core" of the film is something other than the fighting. But in Flying Daggers, the script simply isn't strong enough for this to be true. It could have easily succeeded as a straight action flick (and very nearly did); or it could have been an effective romance/drama in wuxia clothing (like CTHD), but only with a lot more work on the script (as it is, the story itself is actually pretty good, it's just told in a way that gets flat and cliched long before the end).

But never mind, it was better than nowt!
Post Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:55 pm
Imago Storm
Dremora
Dremora

While not a martial arts/samurai movie in its own right, I enjoyed "Jing ke ci qin wang" (The Assassin/ The Emperor and the Assassin/ The First Emperor) a lot. Even though I didn't manage to see it in one piece.
Post Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:42 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hey, I'm with Imago Storm 100% - I wouldn't call it a m.arts flick, I enjoyed it a lot, and I didn't see it in one piece either! Uncanny Yeah, really good film, it's the only one I've seen by Chen Kaige so far, and I was impressed. It's challenging, nice to look at, has some great performances and has the most realistic stabbings I've ever seen in a film!

This is one of three films I've seen on this subject (the first emperor of China and his efforts to unify the country) - the others being Hero and Qin Song (aka The Emperor's Shadow). Emperor & Assassin is the best "serious" film, Hero is better as an action/fantasy (not to say it's a dumb film, I don't believe it is). Qin Song is not as good as either, but it's not bad... and curiously, it tells the tale of the Emperor, his daughter and his best (but still mistreated) friend (a musician) - and the daughter and musician characters are almost identical to the Emperor's lover and the assassin in Emperor & Assassin! Weird.
Post Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:53 pm
maic_ro
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Samurai Jack is my all time favorit... it realy capture the spirit of the concept
Post Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:02 am
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yeah, I like Samurai Jack too. Hope it continues. I did hear it had been dropped, but then I saw some episodes that were new to me, so maybe not. I liked the early ones, but even so the more recent ones are a big improvement IMO. The art style and direction are near-perfect in the newer ones, and the humour doesn't fall flat like it occasionally used to. One of them was a homage to the old Lone Wolf and Cub manga/films (or Babycart, if you prefer), but I keep missing it! But I did see the one that drew a little from Once Upon a Time in the West, where a bunch of bounty hunters all team up to catch Jack... that one was brilliant. Also, the "four seasons" episode, the ninja assassin (culminating in the black & white fight), the duel with Aku... they're all excellent. Even so, my favourite is still one of the older ones - the episode where Jack learns to "jump good."
Post Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:49 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Piln, I just saw "House of Flying Daggers" here in the US a month ago. I think it is still in theaters some places. Great Kung Fu flick. It's done by the same guy who directed Hero!

Oh, have you ever watched "Storm Riders"? That one is entertaining as well!
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:45 pm
Pepto
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
My recent favorite is - indeed - Kung Pow: Enter the Fist.

Kung Pow is a classic movie, for sheer silliness.

I loved Dragon: The Bruce Lee story
For the ultimate ropes and tricks kung fu you cant go wrong with the "Once upon a time in China" movies

Lethal Weapon 4 only for Jet Li, since Bruce is gone...hes the best

"I can handle anything that life throws at me. I may not be able to handle it well, or correctly, or gracefully, or with finesse, or expediently - but I will handle it. Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well DANCE!!!!!"
Post Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:41 am
CassRo
Seer of Delphi
Seer of Delphi

Something with a Matrix Cow and a really cool tongue with eyes and mouth
I think it's Kung Pow. Anyway, I never laught that much in a long time, I recomend it to all.

You read this text AGAIN?! ARGHH! Stop reading! Now! You're still reading this, aren't you. *sigh* Sure, read, I doesn't bother me. Really! Read on, dude. Cool. READ. Ok, enough! Stop! ... I hate you ... If you don't stop I'll replay Manhunt and I'll show you what I can do with a toothpick!!!11 Save the Whales!!!!!!111oneoneone
Post Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:25 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next