Lockpicks
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
airmech
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Lockpicks

So not to sound like a total moron, but how does one open that Apprentice level chest in the opening sequence? I've got a Security of 35 and the lockpick is equipped, per hint-box instructions... still won't open. What am I doing wrong?
Post Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:07 am
Naked_Lunch
Village Leader
Village Leader

You may have hit a bug. It doesn't matter, there's only like 20 gold in there, you can get more by snagging everything you find in the building and pawning it off in the tradeshop.
Post Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:36 am
airmech
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Leave it to me to figure it out mere *MINUTES* after posting this cry for help. Just for the record for anyone else stuck... equip it like you would a weapon, then look at the locked item you want opened. Ready the lockpick so it's visible in your hand (as if it were a dagger or other weapon), then Use it (hit whatever button that normally swings the weapon at the enemy).

Thanks for the post, N-L... I did loot the building... quite a tidy sum of gp once it's all sold.
Post Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:48 pm
Naked_Lunch
Village Leader
Village Leader

Well, my fellow MA resident, I just thought you knew that and you just hit a bug and the chest just wouldn't open for some reason. No offense, but I still can't believe you didn't know how to do that
Post Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:34 pm
Dunmer King
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Hey, the game is not all that specific about the lockpicks. I'm sure everybody had a problem with that for awhile. You don't stab chests with lockpicks in any other game. Not his fault.
Post Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:39 am
Fez
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I think this is yet another good case for pointing out why a decent manual is needed in most games. Or at least some sort of in game tutorial, especially for the basic skills, dammit.

@Naked_Lunch Heya, I see I'm not the only one that tones it down for here.
Post Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:32 am
Dunmer King
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Actually, when I first played the game I wanted to see if you could attack creatures with the lockpick since you do "stab" with it. Lets just say that the mudcrab didn't take that to well....
Post Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:38 am
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

quote:
Originally posted by airmech
Leave it to me to figure it out mere *MINUTES* after posting this cry for help. Just for the record for anyone else stuck... equip it like you would a weapon, then look at the locked item you want opened. Ready the lockpick so it's visible in your hand (as if it were a dagger or other weapon), then Use it (hit whatever button that normally swings the weapon at the enemy).

Thanks for the post, N-L... I did loot the building... quite a tidy sum of gp once it's all sold.

That is funny!

Are you having fun picking locks?

I loved picking locks so much, that I literally spent at least 30 hours of game-time of the 300 + I spent playing the game picking locks and stealing stuff. I loved it so much that I decided to play Theif2, then Thief3 because it was so fun picking locks, that I needed an entire game devoted to this!

Great news is that lock-picking is getting overhauled to be more like Thief. A guy who worked on Thief2 is on Bethsoft's dev team now!

Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:47 pm
kingsorel
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

re: picking locks

I did get occasionally something like a bug when I casted the spells " erkash 100% open lock": what happened was I saw some purple circles on top of the box but it did not open. Did anybody see the same thing?

When I enchanted a belt with 100% open lock/door, it works prefectly.
Post Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:44 pm
Breton_mage
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Maybe you missed? I allways make a spell (when i have a new character) with 100 open with range And then just telekinesis to get the stuff in it!
Post Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:55 am