Hey! What's 'mighty?'
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
Temptress
Purely Innocent
Purely Innocent

Hey! What's 'mighty?'

I can't find it anywhere in the manuals. I have a wepon that is +5 mighty.

And what's freedom?

I've been playing for quite some time but don't know all the D&D stuffs which makes it hard to understand a lot of the detail. I just go in and fight. LOL. I guess if I knew more about the things then I could be a better fighter.

-=>Loyal Member of the NFG<=-

"In the end, a shadow is only a passing thing."
Post Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:22 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Re: Hey! What's 'mighty?'

quote:
Originally posted by Temptress
I can't find it anywhere in the manuals. I have a wepon that is +5 mighty.

And what's freedom?

I've been playing for quite some time but don't know all the D&D stuffs which makes it hard to understand a lot of the detail. I just go in and fight. LOL. I guess if I knew more about the things then I could be a better fighter.

Hiya T! Sorry for the slow turn around time on an answer here, but I've been a bit swamped at work *grin*

Freedom means that things like Web or Tangle don't effect your character. Anything that would slow or freeze your character don't have an effect. I don't believe the effect extends to things like "Hold Person" or "Daze" but I could be wrong there on two accounts 1 - NWN implementation, 2 - my memory of the D&D rules. Personally I really like having the Freedom effect on at least one item, as there are many times when you are caught, can't move, but are getting blasted by spells or arrows.

Mighty (I believe, but again I could be wrong here ... Xen is the real source of knowledge about these things) applies to bow weapons only ... it allows you to add your strength bonus to the damage done by the bow. I am 99% sure of this answer!!

Does that help?
Post Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:09 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Freedom SHOULDN'T affect daze because it doesn't directly impede your movement (it makes you miss turns). Hold Person DOES directly impede your movement because it doesn't make you miss turns... it prevents you from taking actions during them (including move actions). Simple, no?

In any case... Freedom of Movement prevents anything that impedes your movement, magical or natural. This includes walking through water in full plate (you'll still drown, of course, because the spell doesn't give you buoyancy to swim or the ability to breathe water... just the ability to move along the bottom unimpeded) as well as walking through spider webs, vines in a jungle, escaping grapples, avoiding hold person, walking over grease spells, walking through web spells, etc. It doesn't let you pass through solid objects that impede your movment, though, even ones created by magic such as wall of stone or force wall. With the vines example above you could walk through densely packed vines unimpeded, but an impassible wall remains impassible.

Mighty is for ranged weapons (bows only, actually... nothing else needs it except crossbows, which can't have it). It allows you to use up to that much of your strength bonus on the damage. Mighty +5, for instance, would let a half orc with a 20 strength get his full strength damage on each shot. An elf with a 16 str would only get +3 still, not +5, and a dragon disciple with a 28 would only get +5 instead of the +9 he'd normally enjoy.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:29 pm
Temptress
Purely Innocent
Purely Innocent

Thanks boys!

Ok, so! Freedom=good and Mighty=so-so?

It seems that the level of mighty on the bow could be good OR bad depending on your current level and/or the level of the mighty? Yes?

man, I really love you guys. Thanks!

BTW, err. . . . .ummm. . . . ya think you could help wif anudder question I posted? *winks*

LOL.

Post Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:56 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Mighty is always good because you're getting a bonus you would not normally get. It might not be as much as you could get based on your strength stat, but something is still better than nothing.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:14 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Unless, of course, you have a strength of 10, which makes it a moot point.
Post Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:36 pm
Temptress
Purely Innocent
Purely Innocent

Hi Val!

So, meaning strength of 10 exactly? Or 10 and higher?

Post Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:19 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Val's just poking me with a stick again.

If your strength is 10, you get a bonus of 0. Mighty on top of 0 is still 0.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:31 pm