Poll Results and New Poll
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Poll Results and New Poll

The last polled asked about Starforce -- little did we know the issue was about to explode over Starforce vs Stardock. This issue produced column-inches of commentary all over the internet; while the response here was calm, the "I boycott Starforce" option steadily grew from around 39% early in the week to 47.6% at close, while "No opinion" fell from 14% to 8.7%. 27.7% try to resist but a good title will sway them while 15.9% don't care.
<br>
<br>Clearly, among regular internet-savvy gamers this is major issue - the question is how much the average/casual gamer knows or cares. Some have claimed this has damaged Starforce and NA publishers will steer away...but that remains to be proven.
<br>
<br>This week, with the major release of Oblivion just days away I thought we'd ask if you thought this would be a good year for RPGs. Off the top of my head, there's Oblivion, NWN2, Gothic 3, Dark Messiah, HoMMV, Titan Quest, Hellgate London and indie titles such as the just-released Avernum 4, Eschalon: Book 1, Age of Decadence and others. I'm being liberal by including games like Dark Messiah but I think quite a few of our audience will be anticipating it.
<br>
<br>So, a good year...or not? Hit the poll on the left.
Post Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:52 am
Roi Danton
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I'll think it will be a good year, but you can never know what will come, so I voted for 'Cautiously optimistic'.
Post Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:52 am

I am really excited about year ahead

For me, Gothic 3 (OMG!) and Oblivion (and the mods! All those lovely mods!)alone will make this a stand out year. When you add NWN 2, Hellgate and Titan Quest - I honestly can't think of more RPG titles coming in a year (or a year and a half - if past is anything to judge by)....ever?

Some may argue about quality of those games and whether they are "real" RPGs. Fair point but I think all will give RPG fans something and the range is huge.

With expansion packs (Obivion and NWN2 - I'm looking at you here!) this should keep single player RPG fans like me satisfied for quite some time.

After an extended period where every RPG was an MMORPG (which don't really do it for me, although I keep trying the new ones) this is great.

I am gushing! For me its that good and the fun starts in a few weeks when I finally get my sweaty mitts on a copy of Oblivion.
Post Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:45 am

Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

I see it as potienally one of the best years for RPGs.
It has been years since there was a stellar line up close to this.
Maybe it is unfair to think they all will ship this year but I feel very confident about Gothic 3, NWN2 and with eminet release of Oblivion, that is amazing.
Can anyone recall the last time 3 AAA, PC RPGs shipped within 6 to 7 months?

Btw Dhruin.
I was looking forward to Dark Messiah, why do you consider this a liberal addition?
Did I missed some media, they are developing more action without RPG elements or do you just have little intrest in this particular title?
Post Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:49 am
Elwro

Dhruin, you forgot Poland , I mean The Witcher!.
Post Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:12 pm

Dhruin

@Acleacius, Dark Messiah looks great but it isn't a real RPG by a long shot. Have a read of our interview -- sounds like a lot of fun but it's clearly an action game. And HoMMV is a strategy game.

@Elwro, D'Oh! Fixed.
Post Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:34 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

It's been a while since single player has gotten this much attention. With the inevitable schedule slips, we'll probably not see several of the anticipated titles, but the sheer numbers should make for a solid year numbers-wise. Then, the next shoe to drop will be quality. The "Big Three" (Oblivion, NWN2, G3) are probably going to be OK, but how many of the second tier will be thrown out the door half done?
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:54 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

It will be a great year.
Post Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:35 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

I put pessimistic..time will tell. I am not eagerly awaiting any of the big 3, just the indie titles, and those could or could not be released. But if just AoD, Ashes, and Eschalon are released this will be a great year. I also have Nightwatch to look forward to. Whats going on with Grimore? Also, I expect ps2's to drop in price after ps3 is released and I can rent all the fake rpgs made for that very cheaply. The game store next to me has old games for rent for 2 dollars for 5 days (or 5 games for 5 days for 5 dollars).
Post Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:58 pm
Jadar
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

From famine to feast?

Considering how badly last year sucked, it's likely that this year will seem great even if it's only mediocre. I'm at least anticipating something this year - here's to hoping that Chris Avalone captures some of that PS:Torment magic and puts it in NWN2.
Post Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:51 am
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

i think that people have realized that while the PC market will never again be nearly as large as the console market, there is some serious money to be made there ... and that RPG fans are some dedicated players and buyers.

So I look forward to some good games this year ... hopefully at least one 'great' one.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:19 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Re: I am really excited about year ahead

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
I honestly can't think of more RPG titles coming in a year (or a year and a half - if past is anything to judge by)....ever?

The year 2002 was quite similar actually . Dungeon Siege, Morrowind and NWN were all released between March and June IIRC.
Then we got Divine Divinity in the summer of 2002 (August/September I believe) and finally the German speaking ones among us had the "misfortune" of having to spend even more cash on Gothic II in November/December .
I don't remember any indy game releases or other 2nd tier RPGs, although there most likely were a few of those as well.
Actually, if Gas Powered Games would have been a little slower with Dungeon Siege II and would have released the game this month instead of fall 2005 and if Obsidian manages to finish NWN II by June as anticipated we'd be in a major déjà vu situation. It'd be 2002 all over again .
Post Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:58 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

There's a DS2 expansion planned for Q2-06 release, so you just might get your flashback anyway.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:23 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm trying to avoid hype so I can enjoy the games when they are released. The Witcher is at the top of my current list.
Post Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:55 am