is Gothic still for retail sale?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
bigkerry
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

is Gothic still for retail sale?

I have a few questions about Gothic 1 please (I am playing Gothic 2 and I really like it alot)

1. Is Gothic 1 still available for sale anywhere? (not sure how old it is) so how hard would it be to get ahold of a copy?
2. Are the graphics and gameplay almost as good as Gothic 2 or alot simpler?
3. Are there alot of bugs and have there been patches?
4. How hard is the game and how long does it take to complete versus Gothic 2?
5. Are there any similar locations or maps in Gothic 1 compared to Gothic 2?
6. If I finish Gothic 2 will it be worthwhile trying to get ahold of Gothic 1 to play? (kind of going backwards and playing 2 before 1, does it matter?)
7. If I play Gothic 1 after I finish Gothic 2 will I enjoy it as much? is there as much depth to Gothic 1 as there is in Gothic 2? (as many locations, mobs, quests, caves, etc.)?

Thanks alot for all the advice
Post Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:34 pm
rcarter3
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Just my opinion

Ok, first yes you can still get gothic I, try amazon or why not use the link on the main page of the Gothic Hosted site here at rpgdot.com. at to the rest of your questions...hmmmmmm

Graphics are less detailed to a degree but in my opinion they are better in the sense that you dont see as much stuff hanging down in your face spoiling the camera angle in the game.

Bugs and patches, Bugs, yes there are some bugs but most of them have been patched. I purchased gothic I online and patched it from this site with the 1.08k patch and have had no bugs which crashed the game during play. I haven't had a gate that wouldn't open properly with a winch (you will understand if you either read the walkthru from this site or play the game) but then again I played the game as it was supposed to be played (without trying to cheat).

It isn't as hard to fight creatures in G-I as the AI responds differently to your interaction with them i.e. scavangers can be killed one at a time in a group if you can kill them with a single arrow/bolt without the whole group rushing your position, but still with either game the attacking theory/killing process takes you as the player to interact, think, and try different tactics to figure out the best way to dispose of your enemys which I really like in both games.

G-I takes place in the colony so yes the whole phase of G-II which takes in the valley of mines is in the same place. However the look feel is different due to the fact that you have yet to destroy the barrier and having that take its toll on the land, so its more lush, green, and inhabitable. Plus some of the areas those of us who played G-I and would want to check out in G-II (speaking for myself here) were inaccessable due I am sure to their not being in the game plot line and game restrains such as the games pull on system resources.

If you played and liked G-II you will appreciate going back to G-I and getting the rest of the story. I can say that after my first completion of G-II I went back and replayed G-I with a different perspective and fell in love with the game all over again. (think I played it through to completion 3 more times). So to me it brings a new dimension to both games.

The quest are different you won't find the chapter quests changing as much due to your camp selection but it is a very well put together game and it is most certainly worth your time and effort to play.

Last thought: If you loved Gothic II you will love Gothic I as its our same beloved Hero and you get the backside of the story line you would have missed if you only play Gothic II.

One word of warning though: The controls are somewhat different in that you will not be able to just left mouse click to interact or pick things up you will need to mouse click and use the up arrow or left control + up arrow to do so. After playing G-II I almost forgot that and found myself in a bit of a quandry for the better part of an hour. Had to go back to the manual to figure that one out.

Hope that helps ya some
Post Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:06 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Buying Gothic 1 will be pretty hard, since even large Internetstores like Amazon don't have it in stock anymore. So you'll have to wait to get till someone sells his version and you can get it second-hand
Post Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:18 pm
zuman
Village Leader
Village Leader

Re: is Gothic still for retail sale?

quote:
Originally posted by bigkerry
I have a few questions about Gothic 1 please (I am playing Gothic 2 and I really like it alot)

1. Is Gothic 1 still available for sale anywhere? (not sure how old it is) so how hard would it be to get ahold of a copy?
2. Are the graphics and gameplay almost as good as Gothic 2 or alot simpler?
3. Are there alot of bugs and have there been patches?
4. How hard is the game and how long does it take to complete versus Gothic 2?
5. Are there any similar locations or maps in Gothic 1 compared to Gothic 2?
6. If I finish Gothic 2 will it be worthwhile trying to get ahold of Gothic 1 to play? (kind of going backwards and playing 2 before 1, does it matter?)
7. If I play Gothic 1 after I finish Gothic 2 will I enjoy it as much? is there as much depth to Gothic 1 as there is in Gothic 2? (as many locations, mobs, quests, caves, etc.)?

Thanks alot for all the advice
I just bought it at best buy in nyc. I loaded it and it looks good.I will play it when I am between games.good luck
Post Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:41 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Gothic can still be found at retail. There are 2 threads about it in the correct forum.
Gothic uses the same graphics engine as G2. It can tweaked quite a bit on a modern system, so you´ll get decent graphics and a smooth frame rate.
The bug situation is worse than G2 and somewhat random. Just expect to use the console once or twice and be happy if it doesn´t happen.
Gothic is still worth playing. It´s as good as all the other big RPGs of its time. (MW, NWN, Arx, DivDiv). A few points are even better than in G2.
Post Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:11 am