Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Gothic is OK, but Vampire: The Masquerade is alot better
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread

And Vampire:TM has much better graphics and alot more action also. One of the main gameplay problems with Gothic is that the "camp" locations (other than the "old camp") are not clearly marked or explained in the game. And it can become very tedious and frustrating trying to find them, especially the "new camp".
Post Sun Feb 03, 2002 5:53 am

Kwitzak
Village Leader
Village Leader

??????????????????????????????????????????????
(some ? deleted. Gorath)
Maybe you should try and play a little longer..OK

And try to look at Vampire again..The grafix sucks..and the gameplay is very BAD

[ This Message was edited by: Gorath on 2002-02-03 02:15 ]
Post Sun Feb 03, 2002 8:06 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Anon:
Just the opposite. Vampire was good, but I think Gothic is far better.
Vampireīs graphics were more colourful but not better. A different style.
Vampire: small and liveless world, strictly linear, extremely unbalanced, IMO crappy realtime combat, very good graphics, weak AI, good sound&music, brilliant ending(s), no freedom due to the linearity, complex skill system but not a complex game, a lot of action.

Gothic: graphics, sound & music at least equal; larger world packed with details; the best AI in an RPG so far (of course far from perfect); story good but worse than Vampire; flexible but complex realtime combat (if you use all your ressources); relatively nonlinear; weak ending; a lot of freedom; simple skill system but surprisingly complex game; 50% action, most in the second half.

To say it clearly, I had a great time with Vampire. It was not good enough to play it again, but I saw all three endings and was 100% satisfied. Vampire was definitely worth the money.

quote:
One of the main gameplay problems with Gothic is that the "camp" locations (other than the "old camp") are not clearly marked or explained in the game. And it can become very tedious and frustrating trying to find them, especially the "new camp".

This is no problem. Mordrag leads you to the NC and the Baal at the marketplace to the SC. You have various possibilities to buy a map. If you own a map and you where there before you should be able to find the camps again.

[ This Message was edited by: Gorath on 2002-02-03 02:20 ]
Post Sun Feb 03, 2002 8:13 am
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

I thought Vampire, was a great game, and I agree that the graphics were better than in Gothic. But when comparing the two games, the gameplay itself in Vampire seems somewhat restrictive. And the replay value is much better it Gothic. Gothis has so many little things you can discover, that it's almost as fun the second time through.
Post Sun Feb 03, 2002 4:38 pm

I loved both games,but Gothic is almost non-linear,of course the jobs you have to do for the camps are the same but still is a good game.
Anyway i have a strange problem with Vampire,after i installed the patch(now i have the version 1.1 of the game)i don't have the window with the three finals at the end of the game and my character choose himself the answer.I've finish the game six times already and always the same way(too bad the game is linear).I didn't played the version 1.0 of the game and i've upgraded to 1.1 then i played.In this six times only one time the game works fine at the end.
I've asked Activision but still no answer and i hoped you guys could give me some answers(or solution).
So please help me out!!
Thanks in advance for any suggestion!
Post Sun Feb 03, 2002 10:44 pm

Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

Vamp was "ok" at best. The game itself was a blast until towards the end when it just simply got lame.

Combat was piss poor.
Post Sun Feb 03, 2002 11:29 pm
Drakhan
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I agree, don't get me wrong, I loved Vampire. It started out great, it was really strong up to the point where you go into the future. It was strong at the beginning of this portion, but it started to go downhill after leaving Lodon. I had a lot of fun with this one even though it was Linear, but it could have been so much better if it were not. I also would have loved to see a time system in it, I would have had a lot of fun creaping around in the shadows during the day, and leaching of the blood of young women ,

Oh yeah, does anyone still play it Multi-player, and if so, how is it?

Thanks
Post Mon Feb 04, 2002 8:55 am
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

Glad to see so many still remember V:TM. Graphics-wise it was very colorful and pretty, but it dont compare to Gothic's level of detail. And yes the beginning of the game (chopping off heads and stuff)(definitely beats the end but it was cool how you went from Sword/Sorcery and armor and shields to matrix-looking leather coats and missle launchers and fighting cops.
The editor was cool and one of the only ones I ever played. MultiPlayer abilities is what makes ok games fun and fun games great to play after the singleplayer quest is done.
Anyway, for its time V:TM was very very cool, but not better than Gothic.
Total game ineteraction and non-linearity are what makes a game for me. When the game makers allow you to do stuff thats not part of solving the big quest and make it something that actually looks good while doing it is what I get a kick out of (Preparing potions on the alchemy lab, or making your own sword, or cooking your food)
These things dont have to be in-game, yet it seems like they took a lot of time to create all these animations
Multiplayer was kinda weird for me cause any game I went into was hosted by some weirded out role-playing vampire/goth GM and you had to pick a side and roleplay it until you logged...

[ This Message was edited by: Shrapnel on 2002-02-04 10:51 ]
Post Mon Feb 04, 2002 4:48 pm
propellerhead
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

another lowsy comparison. Gothic is far better.
Post Mon Feb 04, 2002 4:58 pm

Both games are great!! I LOVE Vampire The Masquarade, I think the combat...everything about it was fantastic, reminded me somewhat of Ultima 6's combat, love how you can play each individual character ..etc..., only problem I have with the game is to linear and towns..etc..way to small but thats it, it was a GREAT and WONDERFUL experience the graphics are one of hte best I've ever seen! in top 5 I HOPE AND PREY THEY WILL MAKE A sequel!!! Vampire had 3 endings? When I finished it I only remember one!!!!!!!!! I know Deus Ex has 3 endings I managed to do those all oh my
Post Tue Feb 12, 2002 2:01 am

Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

The three endings depended on with talk option you choose when talking to, I have no idea how to spell it, (Vokvadlac?), if you save before fighting him you can easily see all three. But you only get multiple talk options if you go to the right place in the last stage first. You have to get sent to, I guess it's the basement, where there are some pillars that have stored Anesca's thoughts and talk to all of them. If you didn't you get the default ending, which is the one your suppose to see, sence it is the only happy ending.
Post Tue Feb 12, 2002 11:47 am

Crap,I have the same problem at Vampire with the three endings.They just don't appear,and btw the three endings appear(or should appear)when you first talk to Vukodlac.If you choose the good ending after a fight with him he will send you to the Cathedral of Flesh,there you'll find the Anezka's thoughts,because before to meet Vukodlac you cannot enter in the Cathedral of Flesh.
I've finish this game fourth times already and only one time i get the window with the three finals,this is very crapy.
Post Tue Feb 12, 2002 11:26 pm

Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

The endings are tied to your level of humanity. Only if itīs medium you can choose.
Post Wed Feb 13, 2002 4:12 am
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

quote:

On 2002-02-12 22:12, Gorath wrote:
The endings are tied to your level of humanity. Only if itīs medium you can choose.

AH HA! Now thats the post I was waiting to see, and thats why I have no idea about all this 3 way ending stuff u guys are talkin about: when I hit the city I musta ripped the throats out of every cop in the city, so my humanity was damn near ruthless...oh well
Post Wed Feb 13, 2002 12:21 pm

Thanks Gorath,i didn't know that,i've terrorized with mails at Activision(i thought is a bug).
When i met Vukodlak my humanity was 45 or slower,man,but this is crap,why they've implemented this stuff with humanity.
I hope the humanity on the other characters dosen't matter at the final.
Thanks again Gorath.
Post Wed Feb 13, 2002 10:39 pm