View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Fallout

Author Thread
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

You Stinkin Dirty Rat

Hello Fallout Fans

Last year I splashed out on a laptop so that I could have a machine to work on which a/ would be portable and b/ would be separate from the machine on which I let my hair down.

Specs were not an issue therefore and in fact I deliberately snubbed higher performance machines with their shiny 3D graphics cards and their lofty price tags, reasoning that I didn't want to be distracted in work hours by the temptation to load up the latest game.

I still think this was sound strategy, but in part I am now prepared to admit that it might have been a little short sighted.

We all need a little R&R and I now find myself wishing that I had trusted myself a little more so I at least had more of an option in my lunch break say.

Luckily all is not lost. Although incapable of rendering the latest in software finery, my little work horse is quite happy churning out some of the older 2D titles from days gone by.

So it is that after raiding my archives, I am revisiting "Fallout 2". I use the term "revisiting” in the loosest possible sense, as to be honest I don’t think I actually played it when I first bought it years ago. I seem to remember a hasty installation, followed by some clumsy fumblings in a darkened room……. (Actually now I think about it this might not be the game I’m remembering) followed by a swift deletion because something seemingly more beautiful caught my ever fickle eye.

But now I am determined to redress that injustice and with a solemn pledge to discover the whereabouts of the “Garden of Eden Creation Kit” I have strode mightily out into the wilderness like a colossus! All be it a colossus wearing a string vest and armed with an old spear.

Which brings me to the reason for my visit to this fountain of knowledge for all things Fallout.

I have a problem with Rats.

I’ll not try to remember the town name (very near where you start) and anyway you probably all know exactly where I’m talking about. One of the quests available is rat hunting.

All began very well. I shout Ratty insults into the dark, the foul rodents scurry over and say cheese and I impale them on the end of my long pointy stick quick as yer like. Or I shoots em with the handy single shot rifle I found and though I suspect that it in fact fires potatoes, still it serves its purpose as most of the buck toothed felons I aim it at have usually had their chips! ( sorry )
I’ve even gone beyond the call of duty and found some sort of turbo fuel injector part whose usefulness seems somewhat in doubt given that there aren’t actually any working cars… as far as I know so far anyway.

But, and it’s a big but. There’s something large out there. Something big, hairy and all teeth and I can’t help but think I’m going to need a bigger boat.

It’s a Rat God apparently and it talks! Which is possibly reasonable given the unpredictable and freakish results of post apocalyptic radiation mutation. Unfortunately it actually speaks rather like my slow cousin Colin. Which has the effect of suspending my disbelief slightly…. But there you go.

Anyway in charges the Rat God and promptly wraps his teeth around my leg! This might shake the confidence of an ordinary man, but not I. With my muscles bulging through my string vest, the barrel of my rifle glowing hot from all the Rat killing and the head of my pointy stick dripping with rodent blood. I glare straight into the eyes of my nemesis.
Whereupon, bolstered by the knowledge that the game would not throw me so early on, up against an enemy which I could not handle with the tools at hand, I spit out my best “Duke” one liner. “It’s time to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and I’m all out of gum!

Well, this obviously shakes the Rat god and puts it completely off its stride. A fact clearly demonstrated by the fact that the ugly beast takes ten seconds longer to devour me than it actually intended to. Then sits and picks its teeth clean with the smoldering barrel of my bang stick!

Thing is, if I’m lucky I might take 9 points off this guy with a solid shot. But let’s face it, it’s more often 1-6. Out of interest, I found some dynamite elsewhere in the sewer which I used to blow open a door which led me to my fuel injector. But as an experiment I goaded the Rat God into chasing me to a ladder and then fed him the bomb before leaping monkey like up to my escape.

Two things happened quickly then.
1/ I got a message to say that because I’d been so clumsy with the bomb, it had gone off prematurely. Ha! Shows what they know. It’s called creative thinking boys!

2/ A second message tells me that on the level below me, the Rat God has just taken forty points damage! Huzzah!! I win, I win. Scampering down the ladder singing as I go, the following happens.

<clumping of feet on ladder>
Badger: “Hi ho the Rat is dead, nasty Rat, the wicked Rat, Hi ho the Rascally Rat is deeeead!”
Rat God: Graaaghghghghghghgh!!!!!!!
Badger: Ieeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!

So there you have it in a nutshell. This rat tasks me and I must have him! But, am I going to have to go back to town and find a bigger bang stick? Or is there an infinitely more subtle solution that escapes my clumsy Ape like brain?

Yours (with a clawed and bloody stripe) Badger.
Post Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:12 am
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

Man I had higher opinion about your ability to fight , now that aside let me tell you something, you gonna meet bigger creatures not to mention somebody with really big gun. So buckle up, go to the store for the chewing gum (you will need it) and get used to hit reloading quite often.

I can tell you are in Klamath (trapper town district) in closed mine, I don?t want to give you any spoilers, BUT you should make the practice to walk slowly around corners and checking boxes that are hidden from your point of view by walls. In that mine you get first gun for free 10mm pistol (lying down somewhere in the dirt, second level I think). BTW called shots are your friends, unless you took fast shot, then tough luck.

Last advice, take the time playing this game because you will never forget that experience, and with BIS almost closed we wont see F3 in the future.
Post Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:44 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

You're always agreat read, Badger. If it makes you feel any better, I had trouble with him the first time. What followers do you have?
Post Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:15 am
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

[quote="Seth"]Man I had higher opinion about your ability to fight , quote]

Seth.. You don't think that feeding a Rabid Rat Deity a ticking time bomb before leaping Bond stylee up a ladder deserves a little kudos? Have you no soul? Did you not cheer when Chief Brody snarled at Jaws "Smile you *******" before shooting the scuba tank it was chomping on?

Right.. I feel a vote coming on. The Badger got his behind kicked by the Rat God, but who thinks that he did it with style?

Thanks for the gun tip, I'll see if I can find that.

@Dhruin: Followers? Ahhhh right the followers! Well too many to count really. There's.... erm... well there's definitely... ah, no well he had a cold and couldn't come. But there's always...... hmmm

Ok then, I don't have any followers! But it's not because nobody likes me, noooo. Quite the opposite in fact. They love me, they all do. They worship the ground I walk on and fight to pick up my cigarette ash.

Let’s face it, it's not as though they sent me down into a Rat pit filled with man eating vermin armed with only a pointy stick is it..... well I mean you'd have to hate someone to make them do that eh? ...... erm.... oh dear.
Post Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:20 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Truely Badger, you are hilarious.

Go to the local tavern near the entrance of town and get Sulik in your party. You'll like him and his Grampy bone. Give him a good melee weapon, like that pointy stick or a sledgehammer and he'll go to town on the rat god's bum while you do called shots at the rat god's head.
Post Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:49 pm
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

, yes the best fun you can have with bombs, but be careful if you play with un-patched version, because if you leave armed bomb in pockets of some characters, the game throws you back to desktop. The bad thing about patch is it doesn't support saved games, so you would have to start from the beginning.

BTW, I'm very impressed with you handling that rat with the bomb. OK this is some exploit of the game, but if you need cash really bad you could use to your advantage. If you go to protect the 'cows' of the village idiot, on that map you will meet the Duntons brothers. Now you can steal the spiked knuckles from one of them, but if you enter the combat mode and exit right away the spiked knuckles reappear in his pocket. So you can wash, rinse and repeat as many times as necessary.

Few more tips you might find useful:
- Check the pockets of everybody you never know what you gonna get.
- For easier pick-pocketing, feed your targets some alcohol to lower their perception, ergo easier to steal their pocket money.
- If you pick up some companions and you equip them with some machine guns under no circumstances stand in front of them. (I'm speaking from experience)
Post Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:17 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Whether deliverate or not 9 critical hits out of 10 are instantly fatal to all the rat models in the game, including the rat god.

Called shot for the eye and you'll have a confused (and dead) pile of Rat God in no time. There's a pistol on a hunter body in an alcove near where you run into the Rat God. It's not much of a pistol, but it's better than a pipe rifle... and at point blank range you should kill the rat god in one hit to the eyes... two or three tops. It still can be irritating to get those hits off, depending on your level (should be about level 3 or so with a melee or firearm skill of 110 to 115 by now, yes?) but not impossible... especially if your luck is 6+.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:22 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Thanks all. I'm off now to bring that Rat God some Old Time Religion.

Badger
Post Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:05 pm