View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

i got the game...

sorry bout the triple post thing, gorath, heh

anyway, i got the game Gothic today! And it runs! I have played a whole minute, and it looks pretty good, except i jumped into that pond at the beginning from the dock, and i was upside down in the water, and couldnt for the life of me get the character to get rightside up, so he drowned in the pond! poor guy...

in any case, i'd appreciate it if Gorath could tell me what exactly to optimize and how. i set the graphics all the way up and it runs great on my uber system, but extra optimizations would always be welcome... especially: is there a way to increase the max view distance? like beyond 300%... my new uber system can handle anything (almost), bcuz i ran that morrowind optimizer and set the view distance extra, which is two times and half again the regular max distance in morrowind, and it runs that easily. point is, it can run anything + ... So knowing how to get over that 300% mark would be great!
Post Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:50 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Okay, good to hear Gothic runs.

It´s possible to a) increase the viewing distance to 400% and increase the details a bit; b) revert all censorship and c) unlock the frame rate.

a) and b) are simple. You can find the infos in the Cheat Guide. Read the intro and the complete FAQ.
c) is more complex. Read this thread. You can find the 3 files here. This is unofficial and unsupported, so be careful. If it works you´ll think you´re playing Need for Speed Porsche.

Also examine the gothic.ini.

The game still has a few serious bugs. Make sure you always have a savegame to go back to.

Controls: Read the controls section in JemyM´s FAQ. Alternative controls are recommended for right-handed players. This is similar to most shooters (ASDW + mouse). (CTRL or LMB) + forward does almost everything.

Sound: set it to DirectSound HW and disable reverb if you encounter stability problems.
Post Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:47 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

okey thanks!
Post Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:46 pm