Gothic 2: US Release Update
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Gothic 2: US Release Update

According to <a href="http://ve3d.ign.com/?fromint=1#452129" target="_blank">this newsbit</a> at VoodooExtreme (based on info straight from Atari), it looks like 'Gothic II' is still on track for an October release in the US of A. Additionally, EB Games lists it as shipping on October 28. <br>Also looks like Atari is slowly starting to kick off its marketing campaign. There is a 'Gothic II' ad banner at <a href="http://www.shacknews.com/" target="_blank">Shacknews</a> and I don't remember ever having spotted an ad banner with the Atari logo on it but then I don't pay much attention to ads anyway so this may be *really* old news .
Post Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:14 am
Garrett

I wonder if anybody is still seriously interested buying the title in the US. Every RPG Fan will have imported it from the UK, all the others won't bother buying it anyway. Still puzzled by Atari's strategy with this one...

And if all runs bad, the sales numbers will be so low due to the above reason, so Atari won't sign other RPGs or at least no PB games anymore...
Post Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:15 am
Wolfie_

G2 in US

Sad, but very probably true Garrett. Wonder if they will include the Gothic II Add-On as a "sweetener" (similar concept to the release of Morrowind on Xbox, having Tribunal included in the release).

Post Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:25 am

Ale
Village Leader
Village Leader

Considering that Gogamer was the best online shopping experience I've ever had, I find it strange that anyone is actually waiting for a US release.
Post Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:47 am
Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

I saw the DVD box a Fry's this weekend for $50, but didn't buy it. I am waiting for the US version to be released. I am willing to pay $40, and I want to know what is different about the US version that is taking months to release.
Post Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:13 pm
Dwango
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Considering how Atari handles ToEE, I'd say they are not the brain surgeons of distribution.

If you don't know, they forced Troika to pull out children so they won't be killed, pull out much of the evil quests, and pull out a brothel. They also requested most of this toward the end of the Dev cycle, ensuring much of the bugs this caused could not get fixed in a timely fashion. They even released the game a week early, even though Troika had a newer build of the game that could have fix at least some of the bugs, it never got out. And all this to please Walmart stores that won't sell adult games, even though the audience of such serious role-playing would be more adult than your average Final Fantasy game.

I just can't wait to see how they handle the US release. I bet they add the ad-on, but take out a bunch of offensive material to clean it all up, making it shorter than the original game without the ad-on, and buggier.

-Dwango
Post Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:01 pm

I don't think it was atari that pulled the kids. I think it was hasbro who owns the WOTC (d@d) liscense who made the decision to pull the kids.
Post Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:24 pm

Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by Garrett
I wonder if anybody is still seriously interested buying the title in the US. Every RPG Fan will have imported it from the UK, all the others won't bother buying it anyway. Still puzzled by Atari's strategy with this one...

Grave mistake, Garrett. Hardcore RPGers are not part of the target audience. The 5k lost sales there are unimportant. Only two factors are important:
1. shelf space
2. marketing
If Atari does some marketing and assigns some of their shelf space to Gothic 2 it will find its customers.

quote:

And if all runs bad, the sales numbers will be so low due to the above reason, so Atari won't sign other RPGs or at least no PB games anymore...

Can it be worse than it was with Xicat? I heard even Xicat sold more than 100k units. Atari will surely sell more than that, for a 2 times higher average sales price.
Post Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:29 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Re: G2 in US

quote:
Originally posted by Wolfie_
Sad, but very probably true Garrett. Wonder if they will include the Gothic II Add-On as a "sweetener" (similar concept to the release of Morrowind on Xbox, having Tribunal included in the release).

Wouldn´t make sense. The add-on changes the whole game.
And why would they cut off the option to earn additional money with the add-on and a later gold edition?
Post Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:32 pm
Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Re: G2 in US

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfie_

Wouldn´t make sense. The add-on changes the whole game.
And why would they cut off the option to earn additional money with the add-on and a later gold edition?

True, but knowing about the addon and its nature dampens my desire to buy immediatly. When Simcity 4 came out, I waited knowing that they would come out with a delux or gold edition, and sure enough they did. I got the full game and expansion for only $40.
Post Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:44 pm
BuddyToolooze

Believe it or not, I've been waiting for the release here in the U.S. Not because I'm mad or anything, I just thought it would give me time to finish some games I already have. I am really looking foward to it tho, as I just loved the first one. So I'm sure there are a few of us out there who are waiting.

Also, there will be some who just see it on the shelf and give it a try. Thats what happened to me and the first one. I saw it there on a shelf, thought it looked pretty cool, took it home and was blown away. I for one think it will do good here.
Post Wed Oct 01, 2003 1:28 am

Ale
Village Leader
Village Leader

But you can get it cheap from Gogamer and have it installed in 2 days. The game is complete, in english (but lame in having dragon voices be same as vendors), runs great, and the sex scene is quite good actually.

Post Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:16 am
Ariel
Harmonious Angel
Harmonious Angel

Heh. Who knows, maybe it simply took a few months to completely remove the brothel from the game, including all references to it or any of the people who work there.
Whatever the cause, I'm really curious as to what the differences of the US and UK versions will be. Personally I don't see any justification for the delay, but that's probably - not - just me..
Post Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:55 am
Lysander
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath

Grave mistake, Garrett. Hardcore RPGers are not part of the target audience.

Of course they are. They're just not the whole thing.

Is there even an English demo yet? I think we can all agree that G2's distribution has been incredibly amateurish.
Post Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:36 pm