Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
What is the 1st RPG game you've ever played?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Vempyre
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

What is the 1st RPG game you've ever played?

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons on Intellivision console is probably mine if I remember correctly...maybe Swords & Serpents on same console also...

So what old game got you into the RPG's realm?

Post Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:32 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Wow, come to think of it, that was probably my first one as well!
Horrible game by any modern standard, but it had to all start somewhere. Sure loved it back then, that's for sure ='.'=

i played Ultima VI later on, on some 486 with about ten huge floppy disks at my Uncle's house, that was what I consider my first real RPG. Now that was a cool game, Id still prolly play it if I got my paws on a copy. My Aunt & Uncle horrible at it and bet me I couldnt beat it since they were getting nowhere with it, you know, being hippies who had no idea how to play an RPG at all. Strictly Mah Johnng or whatever. I played Ultima just about every night for weeks and beat it, then collected my hundred bucks.
Good ol Sherry the Mouse is one of my all time fave party members!

Cool name BTW, Vempire is my favorite Cradle cd. Queen of Winter Throned is their best song ever IMHO
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:14 am
Vempyre
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

It just gave me the chills to see that cartridge box again...

Afterwards I really enjoyed NES ZeldaII: Adventure of link...
I think that's really the game that got me hooked on RPGs, but it was not the first.

P.S. Yeah Cradle of filth rocks...

Post Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:30 am
Lord_Brownie
High Emperor
High Emperor

I guess Atari's "Adventure" isnt realy an RPG, so my first RPG I played on the computer was "Phantasie" by SSI. While it is not much of a game by today's standards, I still have fond memories of creating a minotaur warrior and pixie theif for my party.
LB
Post Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:01 pm
Naked_Lunch
Village Leader
Village Leader

First RPG I've ever played was Darklands. Damn that was a great game.
Post Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:06 pm
JOTAS
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Started playing games 6 years ago when i was 47, the first game i played was might and magic vi. Ever since i have been hooked on rpg games
Post Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:20 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Dragon Warrior(Quest) for 8bit NES in 1988 or 1989. I still love that series to this day. I can't wait to play Dragon Quest8 on PS2. I think this is why I love Wizardry. The designer loved Wizardry and always tried to incorporate some of Wizardry's play mechanics.

Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:36 pm
Nukester
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

If you are counting old console games, then yes, Adventure on the Atari, and AD&D on the Intellivision, were my first (not sure if Adventure is a RPG or not. I dont really think so). I also had this little handheld AD&D game that had you hunt down a dragon.

My first REAL RPG was Wizardry I - Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord. I remember when I first saw that in the store, and got it home to play on my IBM PCjr. I was a PnP player at the time (although only about 15 years old), but getting a group of others to play was very difficult, so when givien the chance to play with a party, but by myself, in Wizardry, I was AMAZED and HOOKED for life.

Around the same time, I played Ultima III, but my real love was for the Wizardry series. I never really gave any of the Ultima games a chance, and to this day, never really played any of them (although I do OWN them all, between the Ultima Collection, The Ultimate RPG Collection, and having UU1 and UU2 from way back)
Post Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:34 pm
Davo
City Guard
City Guard

Dragon Warrior on the NES was my first. When I was fighting the final boss, my wife walked in, looked at the static photo that served as the graphical representation of all that is evil and said, "That's it? You've been playing this game for two weeks straight so you could fight Puff the Magic Dragon? " It's true. The final boss looked like a little green dragon with his head stretched into the air puffing a tiny plume of fire skyward. It was a flat, static photo on a black background. When I hit it, the screen would flash: that was the graphical representation of my mighty strikes. But you know how it is: in my mind's eye, I was battling a fierce monstrosity.

A week after beating Dragon Warrior, I picked up the first Final Fantasy and have been hooked on RPGs ever since.
Post Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:56 pm
Amelia
City Guard
City Guard

If you count Quest For Glory 1, or Hero's Quest as it was, as an RPG then it is so. Otherwise, it's shameful, but I can't remember. Maybe MM3.
Post Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:17 am
Dunmer King
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

I used to watch my dad play some old RPGs and would play them myself once in awhile. Things like Bards Tale, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Pool of Radiance, things like that. The first Rpg I played solely by myself that got me hooked was Baldur's Gate. Needless to say, I've far surpassed my father in gaming skill now.
Post Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:18 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Eye of Beholder (if it was RPG, I'm not sure about that).
Post Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:53 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Ultima 3 - on a 5.25 inch floppy disc with a monochrome (Orange on Black) screen.
Post Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:59 pm
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

My first RPG must have been zelda on the NES
and on the PC, when my real gaming experience started: Diablo was my first game
Post Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:13 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Glorious, glorious Ultima 5. I should play it again. I loved my magic throwing axes.
Post Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:45 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next