View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
aldee_
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

NotR customizer - difficulty changer for NotR / G2

Hi there,

I wrote a small tool that allows you to modify several aspects of Gothic II Night of the Raven (German) back in fall last year. Now that there's some kind of more or less "English version" available, I made a quick translation and adapted it to the Translation mod. For a screenshot have a look here http://www.worldofgothic.de/dl/index.php?go=downloads&release_id=74 (German page). Note that this tool has originally been created way before the modkit was available, the original version modifies Gothic.dat directly. That has been changed to G2aTT-G2TNoTR.mod exclusively for the translation mod ;-) (see readme.txt).

Here's the download (customized for the translation mod all versions). You REALLY SHOULD skim read readme.txt before getting started.

http://no.game-host.org/notrcustom-sub.zip

And here's another version, which will work with the English release version of NotR as soon as available:

http://no.game-host.org/notrcustom.zip

Note: This second version SHOULD work with G2 without the addon as well. This hasn't been tested though, tell me how it goes. You'll receive a few warning messages if NotR is not installed. The tool assumes that Gothic.dat (located in Gothic II\_work\Data\scripts\_compiled) is >7MB for NotR and >5MB for G2 without the addon. I hope this is accurate for the English release versions as well. And be sure to backup Gothic.dat.

A short list of what can be modified:
quote:

- Number of skill points gained per level up may be chosen freely
- Number of health points gained per level up may be chosen freely
- Number of experience points (XP) per kill may be modified (percentage wise)
- Number of experience points (XP) per quest may be modified (percentage wise)
- Minimum attributes of melee weapons and (cross)bows may be changed (percentage wise)
- Damage of melee weapons and (cross)bows may be changed (percentage wise)
- Mana consumption of runes may be changed (percentage wise)
- Mana consumption of scrolls may be chosen freely
- Damage of runes / scrolls may be changed (percentage wise)
- The multiplier for purchase / selling prices may be changed

Oh, the version not adapated to the translation mod could could possibly complain that it cannot find your G2 registry key. It looks for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JoWood\Gothic II\RunCmd, feel free to tell me the location of that key for the English G2 if it's not the same there ;-).

Comments / problem descriptions appreciated (and in case I didn't mention it before, readme.txt is your friend ;-).

Last edited by aldee_ on Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:08 pm; edited 3 times in total
Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:05 am
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

That's an interesting package. I haven't used it yet, but, I think may try it. I have really no need for any such adjustments in the game at the moment, but if one would ever create their own mod for the game, this tool could be of help, I guess. Definately worth to check it out, so I'll do it later
Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:16 am
aldee_
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well, if you create your own mod you could easily adjust the difficulty of the game to your own likings plus the tool would probably not find custom additions such as custom weapons / runes etc., unlike you stick to the "naming conventions". The problem that there's unfortunately no "multiplier" for certain types of values in Gothic.dat (or in this case: G2aTT-G2TNoTR.mod) and the values therefore have to be adjusted individually is mentioned in readme.txt as well. The Customizer was originally meant for people who complained that The Night of the Raven was so much harder than the original G2 (plus you are somehwat forced to specialize). Actually it's quite a "dirty hack" as it modifies a binary file directly. Anyways, the German version has been fairly popular (~8000 downloads from worldofgothic.de) so I guess there might be some interest here as well ;-).
Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:40 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

ehe well a couple of people sure complained about the game that it was too hard i think here is the solution they can put everything like it was in G2 or to change it customly like they want to anyway great work over there
Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:47 pm
[PB]Nico
Keeper of the Bugs
Keeper of the Bugs

Hi aldee,

Well, it IS slow - but it works like a charm
(tested all options at min and max and I had only one freeze while starting a new game... but this might be the result of too much load on the machine due to an busy compiler and other running programs at the same time)
Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:17 pm
aldee_
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for confirming, Nico ;-).
Post Sat Jun 05, 2004 3:19 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

tryed it out several hours back and indeed it works well , only that it seems that the pc gets a little bit slower if it runs back
Post Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:56 pm
aldee_
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Shouldn't affect your PC as soon as the modification is done... However, modifying itself takes its time, the reasons are in readme.txt ;-).
Post Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:18 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Maybe you should change the thread title. I have the impression that a few people who I would expect to participate here didnīt read the thread because they donīt fully understand what itīs about.
A title including the word 'difficulty' could attract more people. At least worth a try.
Post Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:30 pm
aldee_
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Gave it a try ;-)
Post Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:43 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

and here they come .....
Post Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:09 pm
Edda
Village Leader
Village Leader

I honestly admire people for developing mods!

Concerning the difficulty of the Gothic games: they are not too difficult (I am not a pro). My key is to fight with rhythm up from the very beginning, to find the exact moment for the first beat, no need to tip quickly.
Post Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:22 pm
aldee_
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

That's not really a mod since it modifies the original binary files and isn't based on the modkit. Anyways, NotR is more difficult than the original G2. Still very doable of course.

Gorath: Thanks for your advise, guess I'll change the topic back in a few days ;-).
Post Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:10 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

yup many ppl complained about it that it was too hard with that tool they can config the game so that they can play it in ease
Post Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:55 pm
aldee_
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Alright, in a probably futile attempt to spice up this thread I added another version to the original post that's supposed to work with the retail NotR as soon available AND with G2 w/o the addon.
Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:13 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next