Deus Ex 2 - demo
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Deus Ex 2 - demo

I have to admit: I think that I had greater hopes and expectations for DX2 then for HL2. At least I anticipated it more eagerly.

So, having finally gotten a chance to d/l a demo, I jumped on it. Insanely a lot of trouble and annoyances later, I find myself in the game. First thing I notice is the controls. Not the "oh well, I'll get used to it" kind, but rather the "omg, this is making me physically sick more and more every second that goes by" kind. Then, the text is so huge on the screen that you can only stick about 5 words across at the time, and therefore nothing displayed on the screen can ever be more than one sentence (at this point I really don't care to find out if changing to some insanely high resolution fixes this, as even in that insanely high resolution, the text is about 20-30 times too big).

You know, I don't even want to think about this for a while. I am getting sick from just thinking about it. This is such an incredible disappointment that I trully hope Ion Storm goes so bankrupt over this that they'll be writing books about it 300 years from now. Bloody greed! I hope that few thousand copies of this game that they'll sell on x-box is the only thing they ever sell. Every self respecting PC gamer should so totaly boycot this title.

--Edit--
P.S. If you haven't clued in yet, I'm quite mad at the moment. I probably shouldn't post with this state of mind, but I needed to vent.
Post Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:02 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Well, forums are a good place to vent a little. Just make sure next time you pick the right forum, my friend.

*Backs up the moving truck and hauls the thread over to the Deus Ex Forum...*
Post Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:25 pm
goshuto
Wanderer
Wanderer

One word: console.

Moondragon, check the other thread in the Deus Ex forum. And the Ion Storm forums are practically rioting over this.
Post Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:07 am
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Val
Well, forums are a good place to vent a little. Just make sure next time you pick the right forum, my friend.

*Backs up the moving truck and hauls the thread over to the Deus Ex Forum...*

Bleh... I was even looking for a proper forum to put this. *sigh*
Post Sat Nov 29, 2003 2:37 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

I'm completely with you, Moondragon. At this point I'm pointing the finger at Harvey Smith.
Post Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:45 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I noticed this two (for me very important) things:

- everything is easier (or less complicated) - one ammo etc.
- graphics are nearly same as in DX1 and there where changes were implemented, then nearly everytime in bad way (again - this is my personal opinion)

Now my expectations are very low and I suppose I will not even try to play (and buy) full version. My expectations of HL2 are now much bigger then expectations of DX2.
Post Sat Nov 29, 2003 11:40 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I couldn't even play the demo. I installed it, launched it, and got a message saying it has caused an error in 'unknown'. Did this after rebooting, making sure nothing else was loading in the background, graphic acceleration up, down, etc. Lovely. Uninstalled it, deleted the install file, moving on.

Might pick the full version up once it hits bargain bin.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:39 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I can't play the demo either. Some access violation or other in the graphics module. But well, I'll wait for the full version just like EX (depending on how time-consuming the game I'll get for Christmas will be - if it's CoD, I will in all probability get DX2 pretty soon; should it be Silent Storm, however, it might take a while and so chances for a bargain bin deal will rise).
Post Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:07 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Is that bad?.

They probably screwed something up but i guess most reviews would still be above 80%.
Post Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:12 am
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Jaz, something to think about... even the most favourable reviews give DX2 about 15 hours of play time. The argument is that it has so much replayability that 15 hours should be more than enough, first time through.
Post Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:51 am
soltys
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Long time since I've been on rpgdot last time

Well, about DX2 - I'm very disappointed, game that I've been anticipating so much was dumbed down beyond the point of belief. Some of the easier annoyances - like big fonts, inv/bio/data layers switching, etc. are easily correctable through tweaking in default.ini or the latest patch. But aside from that:

- small claustrofobic levels (limitation of xbox's 64 mb ram and engine they use - confirmed by warren)
- short game
- simplified story
- unified ammo
- no water of any sort
- no skills of any sort
- very easy biomod system (obvious choices)
- no leaning (that is part of the engine, it was removed from dx2 on purpose)
- no localized damage
- terribly low textures (again, xbox limitation)
- unrelaistic physics (just compare throwing barrel and cigarettes)
- not too good ai

Well, the list could go on. I don't mean that it's bad game. It's nice game and I even enjoy it a little when I'm playing it. But calling it DX1 sequel that is better than original - it's just insulting. It's just mass market pulp so it can be the same game for console (utterely limited in hardware compared to current PCs) and could attain less demanding audience.

Similar, but much less severe fate happened to Broken Sword 3. It's nice adventure game, with great graphics, but again - short and dumbed down (very dumbed down).

But - Thief 3 is coming.. and I'm really scared. The same engine (there're a lot of references to T3 in DX2's ini files), more or less the same people writing it, the same producer... I keep my hopes, but I'm scared.
Post Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:31 pm