Usergroups
Mage Melee Skills?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

It's much more fun to learn as less fighting as possible. I'm now playing the game for the second time as a mage. The first time I learned about 80% fighting and 100 strength, but in the end I never used my Dragonslicer. Now I have only 55 Strength and 45 Onehanded and I'm killing a lot of Orcs just with my fireball. My Orc Slayer is only for emergencies and for beating up people, that's kind of stupid that there aren;t any spells that leave people alive. Anyway, it's great. If I want to use my sword or both sword and magic I'll become a paladin of mercenary.
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:43 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

as a mage indeed u dont need any swords at the end or bows or crossbows all u need is magic u just target every enemy with a fireball or something and it will be easy walk in the park
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:22 pm
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Right now I am playing mage for the first time. I grabbed Rapier from southern troll valley. A lot of people say dex doesn't factor into critical hits, but in my game I think it does. I do a lot of damage on critical hits with strength only 10.

In my game, I used 40 LP to train my dex to 50 in order to use rapier. I will use dex potions later.

I used 10 LP on skinning animal and picking lock

20 LP on 1 handed fighting.

That's 70 LP total. I think I want to become a novice now. I could spend another 50 LP to train my 1 hander to master, that will take me to level 12. I have a feeling that kind of melee skill will be overkill for a mage. I am worried that I won't have any points to spend on magic stuff early in the game, and I will suffer because of it.

In my game I found out once you become a novice, strength and dex cost double but not weapon skills.
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:32 pm
kingsorel
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

re: mage role

There are more than one way to play out the mage role: pure mage, fighter mage, ranger/fighter/mage... all of them canl still complete the game sucessfully.There is no correct way to do it, it all depends on what you like most.
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:31 pm
Graham 2
High Emperor
High Emperor

@ Joeman

When you become a mage weaponskills do double so make sure your sure you only want to train to 30% because I'm sure you don't want to be spending 4LP to get up to 31%.
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:04 pm
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:
Originally posted by Graham 2
@ Joeman

When you become a mage weaponskills do double so make sure your sure you only want to train to 30% because I'm sure you don't want to be spending 4LP to get up to 31%.

Well I don't know. If it makes the game easier to train to master, then I'll do it. The downside is I can't start training for mage stuff until level 13. What do you think?
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:32 pm
Graham 2
High Emperor
High Emperor

It's up to you, you dont need the melee skills but I like to have them for beating up the NPC's, other than that I suggest If you don't train melee skills get a lot of mana, Imagine attacking a horde of orcs then running uot of mana when there are still 3 elite's charging at you and all you have is your 30% in 1h. Not a good situation.

If you wanted to you could train up to level 18 in the first chapter, I always do that but I am a sad loser with to much time on my hands.
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:44 pm
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:
Originally posted by Graham 2
It's up to you, you dont need the melee skills but I like to have them for beating up the NPC's, other than that I suggest If you don't train melee skills get a lot of mana, Imagine attacking a horde of orcs then running uot of mana when there are still 3 elite's charging at you and all you have is your 30% in 1h. Not a good situation.

If you wanted to you could train up to level 18 in the first chapter, I always do that but I am a sad loser with to much time on my hands.

I played a bit this afternoon. I found out it's much much easier to kill things with a crossbow than a sword, even if you don't have any skill. You just have to be good at dodging.

I think it's a good idea to train sword to 30% anyway because there are creatures that are immune to arrow, but not beyond that. So far in my game I trained my crossbow and 1hand to 30% and dex to 50% before becoming a mage. I think that's sufficient. If more than that, it defeats the purpose of playing a mage.
Post Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:53 am
kingsorel
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

re: mage role

The advantages of a range spell such as lightning over crossbows are:

1. a range spell like lightning has much longer range than a crossbow. It can see the enemies before you are seen by them.

2. the damage of a range spell like lightning is higher than crossbow because the damage of lightning itself is only 60 but you can train mana up to 450 and .

3. lightning has the effect to stop the opponents from advancing for a second. It is the shocking effect of electricity.

4. lightning can be used on almost all opponents, from wargs, orcs to trolls and dragons and golems. Crossbows will be hard to deal with trolls, dragons and golems.

Last edited by kingsorel on Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:20 am
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

The only reason you use crossbow at all is because you run out of mana or want to conserve mana. For a mage, it's silly to even debate magic vs crossbow.
Post Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:36 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Re: re: mage role

quote:
Originally posted by kingsorel

2. the damage of a range spell like lightning is higher than crossbow because the damage of lightning itself is only 60 but you can train mana up to 450 and .

Small Lightning does 30 damage and normal Lightning, the one you're talking about does 120 damage.
Post Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:28 am
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I am almost done with chapter 3. I didn't bother with magic up to this point. It's simply more efficient to kill with a crossbow. I leave orcs, lizardman, and dragons alone in chapter 2 but killed just about everything else with a crossbow. With dex=50, it takes 2 bolts to kill a snapper. 3 for dragon snapper. 4 for a seeker, but those are weak. It's very difficult to melee dragon snapper with the kind of armour you have. I am in circle 4 and have a lot of points saved up.

I am still glad I spend 20 points in 1 handed combat to get to fighter status, because there are a few NPC's you need to beat up. Fernando almost had me in chapter 3. He is the toughest of the 4 in list of the possessed.

I think you need enough melee or ranged skill to get by the first 3 chapters and after that, your magic should take over. I have never played a mage before beyond chapter 3, but based on what I read, that seems to be the case.
Post Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:42 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

you can finish the game almost with every character u create its just the hardway or the easyway but till the end u can beat the game for sure with any character if u really want to tho that depends on nerves
Post Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:04 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by Joeman
I think you need enough melee or ranged skill to get by the first 3 chapters and after that, your magic should take over. I have never played a mage before beyond chapter 3, but based on what I read, that seems to be the case.

Oohh. you should try that once, it's great. I'm in chapter two now (playing the game for the fifth time) and went as a level 19 mage trough the normal entrance to the VoM, you know the one guarded by orcs. I wanted the healing rune that lies there . I needed to run very hard one time because about five orcs were coming and after killing two and a half I ran out of mana, but it can be done very well.
Post Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:01 pm
kingsorel
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

re: mage's melee skills

The FAQ oversimplified when it says that as a mage you need 4 times the learning points to learn combat. So, from fighter(30%) to master(60%), you need 30 x 4 = 120 points. WRONG! you actually need only 72 points. Here is how and assuming you want one-handed combat:

1. First you need 4 x 13 = 52 points. Which brings one-handed to 43% and and two-handed to 23%.

2. Read the book (northern blocking) and listen to Sergio's fighting advice. That will get you in total 7%. Which brings TWO-HANDED TO 30%.

3. Read the book(southern defense) and listen to Walruth's fighting advice, which nets you 7% one-handed.

4. Now you have 30% two-handed and 50% one-handed. You need only 2 x 10 = 20 points to get to master one-handed.

And if you play the role of fighter/mage like I do, you need even less point to get to one-handed-master.
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:05 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next