View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
nazzer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

whats wrong with SWG?

I played the game for 3 months and feeled forced to cancel my account
I was in guild on eclipse with over a 100 members and after the october bigpatch they are now just on 30.
Is it that there are still broken classes or the lack of content in the game?
Post Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:49 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

What's wrong?

People's expectations. There is plenty of content, and classes certainly aren't as foobared as people are trying to make them out.
Post Sat Oct 18, 2003 5:09 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

What's wrong? I haven't played in nearly a month and still dropped 20 bucks canadian on it! Stupid hurricanes and delays in getting internet at my new apartment.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sat Oct 18, 2003 1:29 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Are you serious? 70 people of your PA quit just because of the October patch?
Let me guess, they spent too much time reading the (official) forums instead of playing the game. I feel their pain. All the negativity on these boards can easily drag you down and you start believing there is no content and that *everything* is broken and nerfed after an hour of reading.
But then... *magic* ... you go back to the game and suddenly realize that most things seem to be working for you. You realize that you just have to adjust your playstyle a little to overcome the "nerfs". And you realize that you're in no position to properly judge the absence of content because you haven't done every themepark yet. Heck, maybe you've not even been to every planet yet, leave alone visited every POI or done much exploration at all.
In short: Don't listen to the whiners. Don't let them drag you down. Make up your own mind and decide for yourself if you're still enjoying the game or not. Get the most out of it until you're really really really bored and then... quit .
Post Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:55 pm
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

I think what's "wrong" with SWG, for me personally, is the repetition. I almost get the feeling of a Diablo2 type game, grinding XP until you reach another level, at which you learn more skills....

Sure, it's Star Wars, and that's fantastic, but when you really get down to it, I just don't see the differences *yet* to make it worth my money to play. When they get mounts, vehicles, and player cities running reliably, I'll probably rejoin. For me, it's borderline...play or not play right now... and those few things should be enough to get me to pay for play again...time will tell!
Post Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:08 am
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

In my opinion, there's nothing that is more wrong with SWG than any other game out there. Most mmorpg will start to give out a feeling of emptiness after a few months, and you start getting the feeling you've done everything you had to do with it. I don'T think that's even remotely possible for regular players in SWG, but still most people do feel that way.

SWG has enough professions and skills to last at least 6 months if you dabble and play around with it. The beauty of it all is that you can do it with the same character without ever "gimping" yourself. You can try a variety of professions, and get rid of those you don't like. You can literally reinvent yourself as many times as you want.

Besides, look at it from another angle. You played for 3 months. You averaged, what, 20 hours of play a month? A week? That's 60 to 240 hours of playing time all told over the course of those 3 months. Which other type of game other than mmorpgs gives you as much as hundreds of hours of gameplay in a single given game? Sure, you paid $80 US for it ($50 for the initial box and first month of play, plus two months at $15 dollars each), but heck that's a lot of gameplay for $80 over 3 months.

I don't think there's anything wrong with SWG. You just grew tired of it, and maybe after you've taken a break you'll grow eager to play it again. I paid $40 for Jedi Academy a few weeks ago and got maybe 40 hours of play out of it. And then I... grew tired of it, same as everything else really! But for some reason some people out there expected more out of SWG...
Post Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:11 pm
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

Oh, no, please don't misunderstand! I'm not complaining about the cost of SWG, if you average out the time spent on the game vs. the cost, this is one of the most cost-efficient things to do! I'm quite happy with the time I spent in-game, it's just time for me to take a break now,that's all.

I spent $50 for the game, another 42 for a 3 month subscription. So basically, I got 4 months out of the game for <$100....that's fair to me! I'm sure there will be many ppl like myself out there that take a few months off and then return...it's the nature of the beast. People get burned out on something, get away from it for a while, then return. I'll be one of those!
Post Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:45 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by iplaygames2
Oh, no, please don't misunderstand! I'm not complaining about the cost of SWG

I didn't misunderstand at all I was merely pointing out to the original poster that I think it's quite normal, in fact, to grow tired of a game ofter playing it for so many hours. And, in my experience, it's very healthy to actually let go of it when you do feel that way, and to come back later on. Those that cling to it when that feeling creeps up on them develop either one of two things: 1) they become grumpy at anything and everything that happens to the game, even if everything is good, or 2) they become so wraped up in the game that they don't see any of its flaws, and even sometimes refuse to acknowledge their existance.

I had a love/hate relationship with DAoC for a good 2 years before I quit for good. And even now sometimes I have small urges to reinstall the game and try it out again. But then I remember that the fun will only last only a few minutes for me, so I decide against it. But heck! I've played for a better part of a whole year all told, so I must have liked it! And yet after 3 months I felt about DAoC just like you feel about SWG. Is anything wrong with SWG because anyone feels like that after 3 months? Nope. It's pretty normal actually.
Post Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:30 pm
nazzer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
_______________________________________________________________________ Originally posted by Ekim
I was merely pointing out to the original poster that I think it's quite normal, in fact, to grow tired of a game ofter playing it for so many hours. And, in my experience, it's very healthy to actually let go of it when you do feel that way, and to come back later on.

Okay i see your point and i know what you mean but,i think i dont go back to the game because of 1 good reason. I dont know if many ppl have that issue, but i got constant ctd's(crash to desktop).
On the other problems broken classes,nerfs,and bugs if they still got the time they can fix that.(if ppl leave in greater numbers then now they and up like AC2)
Post Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:43 pm
Hagen
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

I stopped playing SWG because i reached my goals to quickly...

I believe i was the first person ever to get a full set of storm trooper armour and an at-st, and i got this in just 4 days of solid FP pounding...

getting st amour was like the biggest reason i got SWG...but once i had that, and an at st...i started to get bored... I had also spent 3 months testing it before hand, so it didnt take long before I got fedup, doing the same stuff all the time, watching the devs seemingly mess the game up a bit more with every update... I just quit, but i plan to return when mounts r out.
Post Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:27 am