I am overwhelmed - guild question.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
genghiskhan66
City Guard
City Guard

I am overwhelmed - guild question.

OMG.....after 4 days of playing Gothic II...I am totally overwhelmed with all the side quest Is it just me or does anyone else have the same feeling. There are soooooo much more quest here than Gothic.

That aside...my question is that at the moment I am only doing Khorinis quest.......and I havent even started on Mercenary and mage quest......or are those other 2 not necessary if I want to become a Paladin???

I am really lost at this point because ULF ( mage ) and LARES ( merc ) offer to take me to visit their guild and I have not followed any one of them yet as I havent even finish half of the Khornis quest. and its already the 11 day

Will it be the same as Gothic where you have 3 camps and visit all three and complete all 3 camp quests and then DECIDE on which of the 3 you wanna join?
Is it the same here in Gothic 2 ? Where I can go to Khorinis, Onar;s farm and the monestery.....complete all the quest and then decide which one to join?

Because I realize once joined there is no turning back.

Also I read that as a newbie with Gothic 2....to play as a Merc makes life difficult for you.

I am holding back on lots of quest because I am still a little confused abt how the guild membership works.

I'd really appreciate any advice or information form you all. Thanks and regards.

Opps.....I forgot to mention 2 more things.

When Canthar approached me twice with his offer...I rejected both his offer
because I distrusted him the first time I encountered him. I guess that is not gonna have any future consequence to the game? or is it just another quest for XP ?

I also killed all three bandits near Xardas tower - the group that have my wanted poster. Well..because the first one attacked me. I read somewhere that these bandits are related to Dexter quest? Does it mean I will never meet this Dexter ?

Bartok the hunter....initially I thought was the same Bartok from Gothic swampcamp. But I guess it was a different Bartok. I really enjoyed meeting old char from 1st Gothic. I almost cried when I first met Lester.
Post Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:07 pm
(kc)wolverine
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

as for all the side quests i had that to iin the beginning just stay relaxed some you can solve only in later chapters and some i couldnt solve at all (so i looked them op here ) anyway you can go solve the quest just don't join the militia, try to get in to the monestary by paying 1000 gold and a sheep or join the mercenary's the rest of the quest you can solve
furthermore you get quest from your guild above that. if i were you i would decide which ones aprentice you want to become, what the weapon is that you are gonna use and then decide which guild fits best

for example first time i played i was blacksmithapprentice and became a paladin with 1h sword
second time i'm playing a hunter mercenary with bow working for bosper
and the third time i think i will go for alchemy aprentice and mage.... and no weapon cause magic is strong enough

the game is so diffrent when you play in another guild that it isnt boring and you have to play it three times at least to see all things in the game which means a lot of work for you
Post Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:22 pm
genghiskhan66
City Guard
City Guard

Hi KC

Thanks for the info and advice..... Thanks
Now I don't feel so bad taht I am not the only one who feels lost

At the moment I havent really decide on which guild yet. But I am an apprentice with Bosper and planiing on specializing in 2H and bows.
Can I still be a blacksmith, now that I am Bosper's assistant?

So far the only strong weapon i came across is a rusty axe damge 25/str 25 AND I can't use it becoz my str is only 20 goodness...this is soooooo embarrasing

"" I am old and I am slow, but I still kick butts ""
Post Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:45 pm
Punter X
Village Leader
Village Leader

well hopefully you won't mind if i share my thoughts as well

as was pointed out, just like G1, you can do a certain amount of quests before having to choose which guild to join (well apart from the mages who won't even let you in)

lares will take you most of the way to onar's farm (and even be nice enough to give you all the xp for kills and an extra xp reward once you get to the tavern). ulf on the other hand is far too busy getting drunk and just tells you about the monastry. oh and don't worry about time in G2 as unless i'm mistaken it has no real importance on the game

to be honest i'm not convinced that playing a merc is more difficult as that's what i initially played and seeing as how you liked meeting up with all your buddies from G1 you'll find quite a few on onar's farm (you even get to beat up buster again). that said before joining the mercs it is wise to level up a bit as it's very combat intensive.

as for your canthar question i'm not completely sure as i took offence at him trying to blackmail me so got him sent to jail (where i proceeded to kill him off for good)

you may have forgotten but dexter was a shadow in G1. well to get the quest (don't worry if you didn't as it's not very important to the game as a whole) you must be hesitant to follow the one at the entrance and admit to having been a convict in the colony (no need to mention xardas however). he'll then tell you that there's aprice on your head and if you give him 10gp he'll tell you about dexter (he'll also warn you about the other 2 bandits in the cave)

well as i mentioned earlier you'll meet quite a few characters from G1 on you travels including diego, gorn and milton in chapter 2 (and even grimes the digger from the old mine).

yes you can be a blacksmith as well (although you'll need to find a different blacksmith to teach you) and you can also learn alchemy (again to learn the basics from a different teacher), unless you're a merc i wouldn't recommend it as you'll be limited to the amount of swords that you'll be able to forge while alchemy is recommended (at a later date when you have spare skill points) for permanent stat potions.

as for a nice early sword with little bother, you may want to try getting alrik's sword (25dam/20str) which is faster than the axe as it's 1h while also giving a 10% bonus to your 1h skill (you're supposed to give it back to alrik but i tend to keep it until i find better weapons). while this is my own personal opinion i would suggest that you use 1h weapons in chapter 1 at least until you're able to find a good 2h weapon
Post Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:37 pm
genghiskhan66
City Guard
City Guard

Thanks Punter

I really appreciate your advice...and help is always welcome. I needed it I finished Gothic twice and I never felt this lost
Yes..I remember Dexter becoz in Gothic...Fisk and Dexter are the 2 guys I did most of my trading with.

As for the Alrik sword...I returned it......see..the silly mistakes that i made I thought I might find a better sword somewhere else and I desparately in need of XP

My initial preference is to join the merc...as I myself is the rebellious type.
Lares is MUCH nicer and friendlier than in Gothic.

But seeing some of these merc harassing , extort and bullying the farmers makes it look like they are the nasties...the bad guys....and thats too bad becoz in Gothic 1, I found the Merc to be quite polite and gentlemen like.
In Gothic 2, It makes me think twice abt joining the merc.

Of course..I might be wrong.
Post Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:03 pm
Punter X
Village Leader
Village Leader

well the good thing about alrik's sword is that you can always to challenge him again and when you beat him (he's more difficult now that he's got his sword back but if you're careful you should be able to manage although you'll need to block) he should drop his sword which you can pick up before he gets back up again.

i know what you mean by getting lost lol, G1 is much smaller than G2 (and i even got lost in G1 cuz i'm really bad at directions). speaking of the colony, you probably already but you get to go back there in chapter 2 although it's changed quite a bit (that said you should still be able to find your way around if you remember G1)

well the mercs aren't all bad and hell when on onar's farm you even get the chance to see the militia acting just as bad. me, i joined the mercs in my first game but that's just me (working for lee with torlof, cord, wolf, cypher, jarvis and even buster in the backround is just like the good old days in the new camp for me)
Post Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:19 pm
genghiskhan66
City Guard
City Guard

Hey Punter, Thanks for the advice
I am GLAD that I am wrong about the Merc I will have to check out their camp soon. At the moment I am still doing a lot of exploring. Man..this map is big !!!

I am still doing some quests esp the bandit related quests....the caves, lighthouse and all that...quite a struggle but challenging. Most time I have to reload though, these bandits are tougher than I thought

I just tried this for fun while exploring and met Gaan...near the old mine valley with the paladins guards. They won't let me in.
Anyway..probably I am not in the right chapter yet.
Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:58 am
(kc)wolverine
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

the bandits at the lighthouse are really though i have great difficulty dealing with them because they all have bows and shoot all at the same time, i get there later on when i'm a lot stronger.

when i was a paladin i once tried to lure the shadowbeast to them they whacked him easily sigh so dont try to hard to nail them down in the beginning cause they are really though.

later on you will get the key to the valley of mines but even then you're way to weak to face the orcs (at least as a paladin or merc) i think that's one of the coolest things of the game: that you can be to weak for enemies and sometimes have to run for your life most rpg's are way to easy with enemies
Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:08 am
genghiskhan66
City Guard
City Guard

hey KC....thanks for the tips. No wonder I keep dying
I guess I have to leave the lighthouse for a while and come back later, just as you said.

I totally agree with you. The enemies can whack you senseless sometimes....even if we think we are strong enough

There are just so much realism in the game. Its just fantastic.

I also love how mature and thought provoking it is as well....a few times , we come across task that question our moral conscience and I have done things which I felt bad after that
Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 11:03 am
(kc)wolverine
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

hehe remind me of the first orc i killed. i was playing as a paladin and my first encounter with an orc was..ehm well.. he killed me so fast it scared the shit out of me so i dicided to let the orcs alone, ging into the valley of mines carefully avoiding contact with orcs for a long time. one time later on ...way later on an orc saw me and charged me. the only thing i could do was defending myself. so i draw my weapon and to my own suprise i kicked his ass. when i found out i could kill them i had a big the hunt was open but they were still much more difficult then now. im an archer now and with 2 shots i wack orcs, with 4 i wack the elites
much easier a bow, only the skeletons are a pain in the ass then with their arrow protection. did you know there's a sword that needs dex instead of str to wield it so i think the developers have done a great job making the game also playable as an archer
Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:21 pm
Pikkon
A Hadou Master And A Skilled Thief

quote:
Originally posted by (kc)wolverine
as for all the side quests i had that to iin the beginning just stay relaxed some you can solve only in later chapters and some i couldnt solve at all (so i looked them op here ) anyway you can go solve the quest just don't join the militia, try to get in to the monestary by paying 1000 gold and a sheep or join the mercenary's the rest of the quest you can solve
furthermore you get quest from your guild above that. if i were you i would decide which ones aprentice you want to become, what the weapon is that you are gonna use and then decide which guild fits best

Im hurt... my favorit character (of all 3 guilds) is my paladin (i was in the millitia)... why shuldent him join the millitia? its very good you know...
being a marc/dragon hunter was my most lasser fun character of all (cant say i didnt enjoid playing as a marc but it was the most less fun character for me...) you cant say its not good if you havent played in the millitia.. i dont want to sound angry coz im not... but i just say that dont jump to conclujons without chacking first.. ok?
Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:18 pm
(kc)wolverine
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

i think you misunderstood me pikkon i meant he shouldnt solve these quests because with these you decide which guild you want to follow and he didnt want to choose for now. i also said he should make a decision in weapons and skills first before chosing a guild.

By the way i joined the militia also right away had much fun with the deamons in xardas his tower just got the holy arrow rune then kicked some major ass
Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:23 pm
Pikkon

Oh... oops... i relly misslead you... as a paladin you csn get more runes than just holy arrow... (hurm evil heal light and medium woonds.. you know..).. im sorry..
Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:45 pm
Sir RubberDuck
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by (kc)wolverine

for example first time i played i was blacksmithapprentice and became a paladin with 1h sword
second time i'm playing a hunter mercenary with bow working for bosper
and the third time i think i will go for alchemy aprentice and mage.... and no weapon cause magic is strong enough

the game is so diffrent when you play in another guild that it isnt boring and you have to play it three times at least to see all things in the game which means a lot of work for you

A piece of advice. Don't become Constantinos apprentice, since the fire mages can teach you everything you need to know about potions.

Becoming Constantinos apprentice would be a waste of herbs.
Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:35 pm
genghiskhan66
City Guard
City Guard

Hey guys...thanks for the great tips These is really great

Yes.....one of my fav weapon is bows.
I intent to master in bow/ or crossbow. Frankly I still can't see much different in both.
I played Gothic twice..once as a old camper and once as a mage and both time.....I mastered in bows and it got me out of troubles many time.

Yes...I can understand what you mean about the orcs I once ventured innocently into a cave near Khorinis city expecting the cave to be just goblins or raiders or molerat and all of a sudden, an orc came and sliced me in two It scared the pants of me

ehhh...something happen after I became Bosper's apprentice.....i don't have the "become apprentice" dialogue with Constantino anymore.

I can't even get the "herb list" from him now.
I did earlier....but I reloaded the game because I wanted to test out the "forget spell" forgot the name of that spell.
And I totally forgot abt Constantino....after the next day..I remembered and I went back to him.....dialogue to be his apprentice is gone.
I think this is after Bartok hunt and became Bosper's apprentice.
Oh well.....

Also I venture to the monastery and after meeting Isgaroth and Pedro....man.....I am sooooo tempted to join the mages.
I LOVE the Monastery. it has to be one of my fav building in Gothic so far.

Decision desicion

OHHH before I forget...what are your opinions guys? Should I buy the world map for 250 gold? or will there be free maps later on ?? I already bought the city map. Now at the moment I only have 281 gold left

And is lock picking necessary? I have to pay 200 gold to learn lock pick with the carpenter.
Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 6:01 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next