Thoughts about the Add-On
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
HulluMikko
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thoughts about the Add-On

I just finished the add-on as a paladin, and I think it is the best RPG game ever made (at least the best I have played.) Still I think itīs far away from being a "complete" game.. Here a few things: 1. Bugs. For example many cases where you take some distance to your enemy and you can shoot them to death without them following you.. 2. Bad voice acting (Iīm not talking about german language ) 3. The lack of shields and mounted units (wouldnīt it be cool for example to ride a horse, so you wouldnīt have to use speed potions & teleports all the time?) And in my opinion it would be cool to choose your helmet, shoes etc.. instead of getting the full armor.. 4. The game gets too easy after "dragonhunt." It normally reaches a point where you have all the gold but nothing to spend it on. I mean whats the point to get a 200dmg weapon when you can finish the game pretty easily with a 140dmg weapon? OK, off course itīs cool, but is it worth the trouble? 5. When you think about the increased difficulty level in the NOTR, doesnīt it bother anyone when you reach a cool place and expect to find something big, you open a chest and find 100gold or something else as crappy that has simply not been updated to the needs of the add-on?
And donīget me wrong, I am really a huge fan of gothic (finished the game 3+1 times now) but still Iīm hoping to see it become closer to the game it could be.. Comments, anyone?
Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:59 pm
Uocjat
High Emperor
High Emperor

the horse thing would be cool and i've heard that they might be added in G3 .. although sadly i dont think your gonna be able to attack from a horse .. now that could be awsome .. rideing along in full speed and then chopping some blokes head off or trampling him down
lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. the rset can be a
total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.
tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey
lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:42 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

if u gonna compile armor , shoes helmet and all this it will take away gothic magic feature then why everybody wont do that ? some guild member gonna say he is from lets say Old camp but he looks like somekind of half sect half new camp and half old camp with his helmets armors shoes and all that imo the full armor thing should still be left inside
Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:26 pm
Uocjat
High Emperor
High Emperor

yer the armor bit would be too morrowind like .. plus then you would be carrying alot even more junk as if there wasnt engouth already .. but i would like and open/close option on the paladins armor .. it looks stupid when its open all the time me thinks
lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. the rset can be a
total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.
tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey
lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:56 pm
HulluMikko
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

well.. I got your point, maybe getting to choose everything starting from the underwear would be too much. but are you guys thinking that rings, helmets and amulets are OK, but letīs say a shield would be too much? were you disappointed when the add-on introduced belts, and did it not fit in with the rest of the game? and in NOTR you can combine things to some degree.. for instance paladin armor+pirates saber+ring of the water mages.. thatīs 3 different guilds. And wouldnīt it be logical to get extra armour points for combining clothes/armor of the same kind? who would combine for example paladin armor and fire mages hood? well anyway, I donīt think I can convince any of the developers to make this game my way.. so I think Iīll just go to sleep..
Post Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:06 am
def46
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well Gothic is Gothic. Let's leave the inventory management hassle to Baldur's Gate. I think the designers chose a good blend of action / adventure and character development. Maybe not a perfect blend, but a unique one.

It's funny I personally didnt even pay attention to the armor being a 'one piece' until you mentionned it. Eveyr other CRPG I played separate the boots/helm/chest/etc, and yet in Gothic it never felt wrong. It certainly would make the game 'heavier', placing all those armor parts for treasure or loot, and making all those choices available at the merchants. I don't miss em.

As for the shield I suppose they didnt want to have a character holding his weapon and shield all the time. They made it so you can sheathe the weapon. Though I think Dark Age of Camelot MMORPF has characters able to sheathe their weapon and still holding their shields, and they looked alright. A shield would not complicate the game too much. But I guess it would need a change of gameplay i.e. a real advantage of 2 handed weapons VS using a shield and one handed weapon.
Post Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:02 am