Blatant sexism!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Blatant sexism!

Yeah, yeah, I know this's for Computer RPG's, it's just that I had to comment on this outrageous case of sexism and using a woman's body merely as an insutrument for perving.
I was in the PS rental shop the other day and saw Baldurs Gate - Dark Alliance and thought ohh I might like that. So I rented it, intending to see what it was like before I bought it. I put in on my PS2 and saw that it was, as usual, a middle-ages setting. Then the character choice came up - Dwarf archer (I think), and he was dressed in a armour, next was the Barbarian fighter, dressed in a bearskin with a thick belt, next was the Scoreress, dressed in a flimsy green body stocking with a plunging neckline and cut high on the hip - admittedly she did have tights under it, but they ended mid-thigh. WHAT!!!! If a woman HAD dressed like that in the middle-ages she'd be hung. But what really got me, was the stance, the Dwarf and Barbarian were just standing there but the Scoreress was swaying her hips like a prostitute on a busy corner. This was just so mid-numbing that I didn't even get around to playing the game.
I know we need more women making games so this sort of thing doesn't happen but no other game I've seen has it been made so obvious. I'm no prude, but I think the first step to a good game is proper apparel to go with the setting and the story.
If guys feel they want to gawk at scantily clad women in games, why the hell aren't woman gamers given the same option? I wouldn't mind watching a manly bloke wearing nothing but a g-string fighting an Orc in an orcish g-string. C'mon, let's make it equal!
Post Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:48 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

The nameless one in Planescape is scantily clad. The new Conan game gives bigger breast to him than god gave my wife.
Post Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:13 pm
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Lol, Oh yeah... I forgot about The NamelessOne, but he's too far away and too small to get a decent look at him - I have a 19" monitor and I still couldn't get a good perv, I mean, view. But anyway he'd be rather 'cold' don't you think
Post Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:17 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

The problem Sherrin, is that the target market for most games seems to be the adolescent male about 14-40. Scantily dressed females!! What else would you expect if that's what you're appealing to. The sheer absurdity of it, never seems to dawn on them. I'm waiting till they show a female warrior in fullplate armor. Then I'll know it's a serious game.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:48 pm
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

I know males take a long time to mature Corwain, but adolescence lasting until 40 (middle-age)? On second thoughts you might be right
Yes, I agree 100% about a female warrior in full armour pointing to a serious game. I'm trying to think of one that even comes close, but I'm having a spot of bother, surely there must be one or two?
Oohh NWN! Arabeth wore armour! I played a thief (as usual, lol) so I only wore leathers, but I think you could be a female warrior/paladin with at least some armour.
Post Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:55 pm
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

quote:
Originally posted by Sherrin
.Then the character choice came up - Dwarf archer (I think), and he was dressed in a armour, next was the Barbarian fighter, dressed in a bearskin with a thick belt, next was the Scoreress, dressed in a flimsy green body stocking with a plunging neckline and cut high on the hip - admittedly she did have tights under it, but they ended mid-thigh. WHAT!!!! If a woman HAD dressed like that in the middle-ages she'd be hung. But what really got me, was the stance, the Dwarf and Barbarian were just standing there but the Scoreress was swaying her hips like a prostitute on a busy corner.

I’d like to point out that the setting is on different planet so she might be hung in here on Earth but on el-Toril is perfectly normal.

quote:
If guys feel they want to gawk at scantily clad women in games, why the hell aren't woman gamers given the same option? I wouldn't mind watching a manly bloke wearing nothing but a g-string fighting an Orc in an orcish g-string. C'mon, let's make it equal!

Interesting point, but I would rather look at cleavage than six pack any given day.
Post Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:01 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Sex in the RPG

I'm with you Sherrin, it sucks. I do know of one other game the female can wear armour, Morrowind. I have a female character and full set of armour plating. As for 40 years of adolecences? You know its true. I think longer than that for 90% of them. But now I'm being sexist. Oh well.
Mark Twain
Post Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:01 am
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Ohh Yeah. Morrowind. Well there's two - not a great record is it really
[img]I’d like to point out that the setting is on different planet so she might be hung in here on Earth but on el-Toril is perfectly normal.
Whatever plant it's set on women still get hurt Seth. Or maybe we're just stronger and tougher than the average warrior, maybe women have an invisible ring around them, or maybe they really have armour-plated stomachs and legs [/img]
Post Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:09 am
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

How the hell do you get the quote thing (what someone said) In that different colour? I can't figure it out
Post Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:13 am
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

If you quote somebody look at the brackets.

[quote="Sherrin"]How the hell do you get the quote thing (what someone said) In that different colour? I can't figure it out [/quote]

[quote=[i]name here[/i]] quoted text [/quote]

[color=red][/color][color=blue][/color]
Post Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:18 am
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

How the hell do you get the quote thing (what someone said) In that different colour? I can't figure it out

quote:

And with BBCode
Post Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:28 am
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Ohh, ok thanx for that.
[quote=Seth
Interesting point, but I would rather look at cleavage than six pack any given day.[/quote]
I bet it doesn't work. Anyway, Seth, you're obviously not a Kiwi or an Aussi coz they'd look at the cleavage while drinking the six pack. I'm not picking on you, honest .
I can't wait for Pikkon to have his adolescent say on this topic - then I can pickkon pickkon
Post Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:29 am
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

quote:
Ohh, ok thanx for that.
[quote=Seth
Interesting point, but I would rather look at cleavage than six pack any given day.
I bet it doesn't work.
Remember both brackets “[“ &”]” and the preview is a great helper

quote:

Anyway, Seth, you're obviously not a Kiwi or an Aussi coz they'd look at the cleavage while drinking the six pack. I'm not picking on you, honest .
I can't wait for Pikkon to have his adolescent say on this topic - then I can pickkon pickkon

Born European, living in Canada, sleep walking in the Fearun
Post Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:42 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Ah, I don't drink so this is one Aussie that should escape the stereotype.

To be fair to game developers, it's fairly prevalent in fantasy settings regardless of media, is it not?

Conan movies, book covers, fantasy calendars - they often feature near-naked women, don't they?
Post Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:47 am
corwin

Let's just check in with Kayla for her opinion on this shall we!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:57 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next