Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
What is your opinion of Icewind Dale II?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeons and Dragons General

Author Thread
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

I started IWD2 from the beginning twice and didnt finish.

I liked it alright. But less than baldurs gate or planescape torment.

What was just lame about it, was each level was a maze, you killed the monsters and a section opened. and then you went and killed those monsters.
And they were just the exact same monsters. The same party of monsters over and over and over. And then you moved onto a new screen....
With a different party of monsters, and a different maze and did the same thing.
I believe the playing time on this game is EXTREMELY long. Although its content is not like planescape torment, the way it is set up takes so much longer. I believe this is around 100 hour game although I did not finish it as I said.
This is just too much repetition to hold me in and both times I started it another rpg drew me in. I bet I will finish it eventually someday though.
Post Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:39 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Took me about 60 hours to complete it.

Heh. And you just described every CRPG ever made... but the good ones make you forget that you're running from different maze to different maze killing different stuff.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:17 pm
JOTAS
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I agree with Desdicudo up until the hand good game .then to much running about, even so finished game. still good value for money. iwd 1 enjoyed more
Post Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:33 pm
~NOBODY~
The One And Only
The One And Only

Don't you think you're a bit late... I completed the game almost a year ago & liked it much. I didn't play IWD1, so I can't compare them, but IWD2 was [color=452367]Great[/color]. Maybe I felt like this because it was the first D&D rules game I played.
Post Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:13 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

It's never too late to play a good game. And IWD2 is certainly not a bad one.

R.A.Salvatore The Cleric Quintet. Canticle
Post Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:27 am
Pico
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well, about it being RPG of the year. That was a few years back. If I remember correctly, there wasn’t much in the way of competition for it.

Anyway, Ya I liked it.

I just pulled it out again as a matter of fact and started it again, for the second time.

I knew when I got it, it was a dungeon crawl. I wasn’t expecting an epic like BG.

Most of the points that people made as to why they didn’t like it is why I DID like it. I loved the FedEx questing. I love that stuff. I loved it in Gothic, and I love(d) it in IDII. It adds a bit of realism to it, in my opinion.

Its like a dumbed down version of BG and BGII. Its like fore the people who liked BG but who wanted more fighting. Which was a pretty big complaint if I remember correctly. If memory served you can make it to like chapter 3 or something and still be like level 3.

Their was little plot but I didn’t expect one when I started the game. I think people sometimes loose sight of what a game is suppose to accomplish or be, and I think IWD II accomplished what it set out to do very well.

Plus, its like one of the only games that worth playing based on the D&D rule set that allows you to create your own party. Pool of Radiance was to… how shall I say..... shallow? I haven’t given Temple of Elemental Evil a try yet, but that may be nice. But I like to be in the Forgotten Realms and I don think that is…

Anyways, yes I like. But only by default really. Meaning it’s the only game of its kind.
Post Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:09 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

While not strictly in the Realms (as in... not in the realms)... the Flaughness (sp) area of Greyhawk is where Ed Greenwood lifted the Evermoors from. Homlet is Nesme in the Silver Marches.

Most of Greyhawk was stolen and tweaked around a little for EdsWorld. Put no stock in the title on a game world... they all robbed each other blind.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Thu Oct 02, 2003 3:16 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2