Windows XP and Wiz 8
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
obj1
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Windows XP and Wiz 8

I am about to buy Wizardry 8, but I need to know if it works in Win XP Professional. The Wizardry 8 site says it requires Windows 98 or 2000. Can anyone answer this for me? Thanks!
Post Fri Nov 01, 2002 5:37 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

I had no problems at all with Wiz8 / XP.
Post Fri Nov 01, 2002 9:17 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

@ Dhruin, that is good to know! I just bought a new system ... it runs Win XP.
Post Fri Nov 01, 2002 2:24 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I'm using XP Home, but I have zero problems.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Fri Nov 01, 2002 3:49 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Wiz8 + WinXP = NP
NP = NO PROBLEM

:]
Post Mon Nov 04, 2002 6:27 pm
VanDine
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

hello, new face here :)

my problem seems to be the opposite one, I have Win98 on which I know Wizardry 8 runs, but have some difficulty getting Wizardry, only copy I have once seen in shop had been badly overprized ($80 Can which is very tops for any game, even the latest greatest fireworks) and now its nowhere to be gotten here in town... maybe will have to mailorder.

I've been reading on and off this forum, got Wiz8 demo and although I only started that, found it actually good despite my worries about the step to 3D that managed to kill off many games in past.

Long time ago, I got Wiz7 Gold ed., and Mac edition to top it off, I very much enjoyed playing that and got fairly far into the game, as far as that Fun house there which I think I finished and then I wanted to get on internet with my Mac and so had to get better OS and on that one, Wiz7 didn't run anymore, I had corrupted graphics and my mouse pointer kept hiding and so I didn't finish. Later I switched to PC platform and tried to finish Wiz7 Gold on Mac emulator running on PC but couldn't make it run at all.

I remember still how I practiced swimming early on in the game and very soon after I got to that first town, I kept going swimming out to sea, made it along the shore back to that starting area and one day, I stocked up on those stamina bottles and we went swimming direct out to the open sea, since I have seen on the game maps, there were some islands out there

On first go, only one or two of the whole party made it to one of those tiny islands out there and I aborted the venture and fell back on savegame but I knew there really was something there, so next day, I worked out a strategy of the extreme stamina conservation at all cost in fights on water and went to buy some more bottles of stamina but I remember that the supply ran short, the shop or where I was getting those bottles just stopped selling them, bummer... but I still swam out and after some touch and go, we all made it to one tiny island where we rested and made it to that dungeon island with the sphinx, had a big laugh there and did all there was to do... but as we didn't have the keys to get beyond the gates there (I only started the game then and didn't get them yet), we swam back to town and felt like heroes untill later on I realized, I left some important item back on the island for some reaon, maybe weight considerations... so had to make another trip back there, for some reason, I didn't want to or couldn't reload... or I found about the missing necessary item only after I played for some time and didn't want to loose that...

I never got as far in the game as to get the boat in that town, years later I read somewhere that you can cheat and sleep on water but when I was playing, I did it all honest hard way, only kinda cheat I found in the game was to sell all maps I had on me to NPCs you met, I pocketed the gold and then I killed them and got all my maps back (but I remember, I couldn't do that with that 5flower master of some martial arts, he was one toughie)

ah the memories, graphics looked real good on Mac (much better then on PC gold edition or no gold) and the Gold edition had that voice over that was actually good although I used to switch it off as my Mac wasn't terribly fast...

So, now Christmas holidays are coming, I expect to play that demo (in Prague ) and then I will see, maybe here Danicek has some tip on getting hold of Wiz8 out there?? But I am sure, the game will show itself sooner or later someplace... but maybe it didn't come out in large edition and will be always scarce??

V
Post Tue Nov 12, 2002 10:15 am
obj1
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Win XP et cetera...

Thanks for all the replies. I got it, am almost to Arnika, and it works great on XP. I couldn't find it in stores, either, had to order it from the company online. They sent it out right away; I got it in 2 business days.
So far, I am very pleased. I didn't QUITE finish Dark Savant (Wiz 7) - I explored the whole world, I think, but never found how to start the space craft after the maze of force fields. My computer failed after that, so I didn't get to import my chars into Wiz 8
Interesting to hear about the Mac version!
Post Tue Nov 12, 2002 5:17 pm
VanDine
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

another one who didn't finish it due to objective difficulties...

Mac versions of games were much better done graphically than their PC originals since Mac was way better in graphics department but that is past now, PCs are just as good these days on this point (but for example Prince of Persia II still looked much better on my Mac than on a PC and looks are fairly important I think if the game is otherwise good in the first place.

V
Post Wed Nov 13, 2002 8:27 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Re: Win XP et cetera...

quote:
Originally posted by obj1
Thanks for all the replies. I got it, am almost to Arnika, and it works great on XP. I couldn't find it in stores, either, had to order it from the company online. They sent it out right away; I got it in 2 business days.
So far, I am very pleased. I didn't QUITE finish Dark Savant (Wiz 7) - I explored the whole world, I think, but never found how to start the space craft after the maze of force fields. My computer failed after that, so I didn't get to import my chars into Wiz 8
Interesting to hear about the Mac version!

It nice to here that someone else likes this game :].
Post Wed Nov 13, 2002 5:57 pm
Regnar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

all Wizardry rules

I have the Wizardry archives, ranging from 1-Wiz Gold and they are all great. I like the older versions with little vid and more thinking (but I really can get into a graphic harassment game) does anyone here play the Zork games going all the way back to the original????

I love these games!!
Post Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:30 am
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

Many, many moons ago I played the original, text only Zorks. In fact, I still have them on my computer (abandonware, but I can't remember where I got them).

I loved the whole Wiz series, and won every one except #4 (Return of Werdna). I too have the archives, and one of these days after winning Wiz8 a second time and playing NWN beyond the little bit I have, I'll go back to #4.

Oddly enough, I find Wiz1 VERY replayable, even today. I was still replaying it up until maybe a year ago, when I got Wiz8.
Post Thu Nov 14, 2002 7:59 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Wiz8 is my first one, I really love it, but I doubt I will enjoy older Wiz games. Graphics is probably too important for me.
Post Thu Nov 14, 2002 6:35 pm
John373
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Yeah, that's one of the best things about this site: you don't have to have the game to ask such questions. I wish other companies, such as Blizzard (the damn jerks!), would allow people to come to forums and take things for a test run. Although demos help, they don't always give a true presentation of the actual game. It may surprise some people here but I haven't even installed DirectX 8. The reason being that I'm running an ATI Rage 128 video card whose drivers have proven unstable in the past. They sometimes make previous games even worse. And because DX8 is not removable...well, why be stuck with such settings?

In the end, I just have to take the good with the bad when it comes to computer games. The "bad" being that it's never going to stop changing. Like when I brought my last system I thought "That's it. Why do graphics need to get any better than this?" But the entire industry is run by consumers who demand things to get prettier and prettier, so that if you want to keep up with things, you'll never use the entire life time of your computer. Here I am, just a little over 3 years old, and already most software I'd like to buy, even photographic and programming stuff, exceeds my Pentium II 400 processor.
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 3:00 pm
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by John373
In the end, I just have to take the good with the bad when it comes to computer games. The "bad" being that it's never going to stop changing. Like when I brought my last system I thought "That's it. Why do graphics need to get any better than this?" But the entire industry is run by consumers who demand things to get prettier and prettier, so that if you want to keep up with things, you'll never use the entire life time of your computer. Here I am, just a little over 3 years old, and already most software I'd like to buy, even photographic and programming stuff, exceeds my Pentium II 400 processor.
It's the nature of the beast, and the beast has been around for a long time. I remember the same thing back in the days of Wizardry I/II/III on the Apple ][ line of computers. Sir-Tech at that time (Robert Woodhead, IIRC, not Andrew Greenberg) talked about coming out with a "Wizardry 2" series - requiring (gasp!) 64K AND two floppy drives (back then, 48K was standard with 1 drive, and virtually no one had a hard drive). For historical completeness, the series never came out. People I knew complained about the higher system requirements. Not long after that (and having nothing to do with Sir-Tech), the Apple ][e came out which upgraded the standard to 64K, prices on floppy drives dropped so more people had dual drives, etc.

Has it really been 21 years since Wiz1? Ow, I'm feeling old.
Post Mon Nov 18, 2002 5:56 am
John373
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
People I knew complained about the higher system requirements.

What annoys me the most is that they can't make the lastest games -- such as NoOneLivesForever 2, Alien VS Predator 2, Warcraft 3, etc.) with adjustable graphics that can be played on a 3 year old system. I don't care if the game looks like Half-life, it's the "thrill of the chase" that holds my attention. Perhaps we ARE too old for this stuff. But you're right, it IS the nature of the beast. As computers get faster and richer in graphics, AND cheaper, game makers aren't going to hold back while someone else removes the unattractive blocks and lines from Lara Croft. Since men are usually playing such games...okay, I know where it's all going now.
Post Mon Nov 18, 2002 7:11 pm