I'll keep you posted...promise.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I'll keep you posted...promise.

I got the game today, too bad I'm still at work. I got tired of everyone playing and not telling me whats going on...So I'll keep you posted everyday bacause I have to come into work ever friggin day, dammit!

But as soon as I log on I'm going to powerlevel my way to level 2 and piss my pants cause I'll finally know whats going on and then tomorrow at band camp, err work I'll have a super duper post ready. Probably cause I wont sleep tonight.
Post Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:58 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Sweet! Im debating on whether to get Horizons or not, so ur assessment will pretty much help me decide, since you mostly have the same MMO tastes that i do (darkfall, everquest2, dragon empires..). So get in there and make me proud!

edit -- Actually i doubt i will buy Horizons. i think im just going to continue waiting... and waiting... and waiting... for DE, DF, EQ2, TOA, UXO, ect...

hence im not very thrilled about Horizons.

but i am curious how its going now. i was in beta a long time ago and gathered that its nothing special.
Post Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:50 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Well Ammon I like it, but most n00bs to a game do, at first. I was excited to see the world but I got lost one time and saw way too much of it. At one point I walked around for about 10 mins and didn't run into a single mob to kill me so I could port back to civilization. I only leved to warrior 7 and blacksmith 3, and found them both fun for the mean time. Things had better get a bit more interesting though, because I can see how crafting can become a real quick bore, and leveling is another treadmill if things just get hitpoints added to them. The world was pretty and I didn't have any bugs at all...I guess there is an issue where 56k ppl (me) have a disconnect issue and it did happen to me twice but really wasn't a problem. I played for about 6 hours. Quests were there and I did two...well I did the same one twice but it was a neat way to get a quest from the Quest giver...had the option to do a quick one, a quest of moderate length or a long quest. I did the short one. He gave me the same one twice so that was a bummer. Login was good, character creation was good, game play as a n00b to the game was good, customizatin of the keys, interface and commands were good. Only slight issue I have is a bit of lag but again i'm only running 56k, and the load times of some NPC's takes too long and I also have an issue where I am always grey, other ppl load and NPC's load my toon is always grey and undefined. But no biggie for now the gameplay over comes that. I do wish pvp was in though, it would give me a bit more to strive toward. The economy is tight right now, a crappy sword costs 4 silver, but total last night I made only 1.5 silver, maybe. But I like that, better than EQ where in 5 mins at level 1 you have 6 plat. I look forward to playing again tonight because I found some mobs where they actually killed me so if I can manage to beat them I might get decent exp. I also look forward to doing some more crafting because I want to see where it leads, I did just enough to whet my whistle and am looking forward to playing again when I get home from work today.
Post Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:39 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Ok, my second day of playing. It was fun, I joined a guild and they helped me out some. Didn't give me any loot or anything but I did group with them for a while and made a couple levels. But that was all after I spent all day online (while at work) and found my problem. Horizons is fun and different from all the games I have played in the MMOG's. Ok so like I said I'm a warrior, but I became a cleric (didn't know I could do that...good thinkg I work so hard at my job lol) yesterday and level him up to 5 and got me a heal and some stuff, then (haha) I switched to a mage and level him up to 5 and got some good bolts and more stuff then (muhaha) I switched back to warrior and leveled him up to 10, which was uber cool. How much fun is it to be able to switch between classes and get better at any one.
While with my guild group, we were doing good but had our first incounter with the Whitherd Aeiges...they kicked our asses, not really due to good AI, more due to bad PI (players intelligence) I also learned more about crafting and leveld up my Blacksmith to 5 then swithed to Outfitter and level him up to 5. Cool, I'm going to be self sufficiant, make all my own stuff all the way up. Still crafting was quite a bore and take a while. Artifact Entertainment spent alot of time working on Crafting and to make it fun and it is fun in a sense, because I always want to see whats next level, but I, I'm an adventurer and this game is doing a good job at that so far. When I can be a bad ass warrior with mage spells and cleric heals...dude that rocks. I did die a few too many times to maggots <--yeah actual maggots. And I'm still very poor, the economy is still tight, but thats a good thing. Ok everyone Merry Christmas to all and to all a good fight.
Post Wed Dec 24, 2003 2:35 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

thanks kiff, keep up the good work
Post Wed Dec 24, 2003 3:52 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Ahh the gloryious ramblins of an idiot...yeah thats me.
Well after a week of play I'm still really enjoying Horzions. My guy is up to 15 Warrior, 8 cleric, 8 mage and an 8 scout. I love the fact that I can be anything I want to be...soo much fun. I was having a blast the other night becuase with my guy being a level 15 warrior I switched him over to scout...so here I am the strongest level 1 scout the game hath ever seen (well maybe not but this is my fantisy) So I went out with my uber level 1 scout and started killing level 10 critters and in about 10 mins I had my scout up to level 6 and after a few more mins I was level 8. Death in this game is handled ok...I like harsher penelties, but this game makes it only slightly a drag. You die you port back to your bind city and you get a Death point. Each Death points gives you 5 mins of a stat decrease. At the end of a play session sunday I had 3 death points and then died again...so I had 4 death points...after I release I had a 20 min timer for my stat decrease. I also played some more of the crafting, and it went by a bit quicker, becasue I did quests, and the rewards for quest are good exp and a new formula. Formulas are needed to make armor, weapons, spells in the game so they are somewhat valuable. I did enough quests to get my guy up to level 10 in outfitting and level 11 in blacksmithing. So buy the time I was finished with all my questing I had received enough formulas to get me a good bit of money. There is alot more in the game that it is hard to explaine...like the way you can buy/sell, barter, trade...make it alot more fun than an economy like DAoC. The AI, I found out, is pretty good, when you start figthing higher level mobs or the Weithered Aeiges. The WA work together, and the clerics and scouts of course stand back and attack you...a cleric will run and if you kill the other members of a clerics party it will spint away from you into oblivion. Mobs also use stances, which you have to counter with you own stances, which they will counter by changing their stance, which you again will have to counter by changing your stance...more fun than it is a bother beleive it or not. But by far the best part is the ability of my 15 warrior having abilities of a cleric a mage and a scout. Minor minor bugs I have notices, some lag and a big stability problem for 56k users (me) I crash out of the game due to lag or disconnects but really not to bad. The more populated a city the more lag you have and of corse the more idiots you have whom like to stand right on top of the vendors. But all in all I like to play...its' fun...its' pretty and my wife hates it...so you know it's good.
Post Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:56 pm
The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

I too have been playing Horizons lately(as well as Rubies of Eventide).
The game is pretty good in my opinion. I have the details turned up pretty high and it still runs well(I admit I have a high end system though).
One strange thing, for some reason the game would not run in fullscreen mode. I checked message boards and seems this is a problem few people have. No one seems to be able to determine the cause of it.
The game has had fewer bugs(at least from what I saw) in it on release than I've seen with other similar games.
I'm playing a mage/spellcrafter on the Life server. Have a few friends who play too, so that makes it all the more fun for me.
Crafting system is one of the most detailed and complex I've seen so far in an mmorpg. I'm enjoying it, but competition is stiff with other players.
I admit, I really wanted to forget about this game after David Allen lost control of the project and the grand vision he had for the game got trimmed down alot. Most likely I will keep playing until something better comes along, such as Warhammer Online.
I used to post here alot on the boards, but ever since I got involved with Rubies of Eventide in May, hardly ever come here anymore. Just want to say hi to all those who remember me. I miss you guys.
Post Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:02 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Hello again Hulk! So Rubies of Eventide didnt totally shut down after all? Why?

Im with you too. I remember the old Horizons and i wanted it to happen so much. I was dumbstruck when there occurred that massive blackout. Then later when i saw how much they took out of Horizons (the very soul of it), i was exceedingly disappointed and angry (along with a ton of other ppl). I doubt i will play the new Horizons, since its ruined for me, especially when games similar to its initial vision are coming out soon (Darkfall, Trials of Ascension, Realms of Torment).

However, i like to hear news about what its like, so thanks for chipping in.
Post Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:15 pm
The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

Hi there.
Well, it's true Rubies of Eventide was close to shutting down, even gave an official announcement about it due to not enough people playing(and I think not enough good advertising on their part).
However, I think at the 11th hour, they managed to secure some more funding (and cutting costs, trimming back on staff, etc.)to continue development and keep things going. How much longer it will stay, I don't know. I am just glad it is still running because the game has a very special unique charm to it(for one, the female gnomes are just so darn cute!) that I've never seen in any other game that just won't let me leave. I'll probably be there in RoE until the very end when they pull the plug on the server for good, in addition to playing Horizons until something better comes along.
Post Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:34 pm
hollaholla
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Kiff...what guild were you in?? I know alot since I was in beta....
Post Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:24 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Knights who say Ni.

But I've stopped playing all MMO's until a good one comes out. Or until UXO comes out since I get that one for free and a free three monts.
Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:02 pm
ziBzi
Necromancer
Necromancer

to enjoy horizons you would have to be an idiot.
Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:07 pm
-=[Xtr3Me]=-
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

It's a shame to pay for it anyway....You can download other MMORPG's instead. There are good MMORPG's around for free...
Post Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:53 am