Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
GIII mod or ES4:Oblivion mod. Which one should I do?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 3 General

Author Thread
postaldudeleo
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

GIII mod or ES4:Oblivion mod. Which one should I do?

Mod for G3?

I'm making a big total conversion for a game (though it can be called new game in itself) ("called running man" and was supposed to be based of own engine but that engine team "disappeared" for some reason.)

It is based in the future and has an very detailed storyline. (about 300 pages worth) and I'm writing it in script/ novel form style to save time which means with in-game conversations and quests it will be much much more.

My team is small but will grow when I start to officially release my info and my storyline plus prerendered cinematics all done. I had 12 ppl but after engine team died 3 months ago now there are three. Me for music, sound, cinematics, stroyline,models, shaders, a dude who did stuff for valve and crytech and is doing models, guns, sound, cinematics polishing, and another dude who is a good programmer and web designer and he's doing scripts.

1. Problem is that I can't choose which game to mod it off. Elder scrolls 4 and gothic 3 have same engine with haser model three. Good enough, I'm using HD models (cinematic quality) straight from poser and maya with full shaders. But what interaface is better suited for guns... which is better for big gun fights and big battles.

2. The devs of oblivion told me that 7 ppl will be the biggest battle their game an handle without a crash or freeze up. Gothic will allow without doubt more then that.......

3. So what should I choose? I like gothic series more but will elder scrolls 4 have better editor?

Anyone who can find info to support GIII for this purpose will be really thanked.
Post Sat May 07, 2005 5:57 pm
pink-hippo
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Re: GIII mod or ES4:Oblivion mod. Which one should I do?

Big gun fights in a 7-person multiplayer Gothic game.

*looks at calendar*

This is not April Fool's. Are you all right?
Post Sat May 07, 2005 7:03 pm
postaldudeleo
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Dude, it's not 7-player multiplayer. there will never be any multiplayer mods or gothic games, or elderscrolls games for that matter. If there are somehow mods that do that, I'm would probably have nothing ot do with it. (multplayer mods usually end up garbage, a weak attempt to bypass the problems of voice recording and mission making because in multiplayer your supposed to entertain yourself obviously..............)

I'm talking about a single player total conversion for Gothic III or Elderscrolls 4 Oblivion.

Not only is this an idea but the storyline is almost done, all music is edited and ready, many models done, 2 out 0f 30 cinematics done (pre-rendered movies rock and I took the liberty of being the only mod maker with them because they take a good system and expensive software to make, any happily I have everything), and finally backrounds and the quotes on black screen you get when you load a guild specific area are done. textures are also mostly done...mostly.

All that needs to be done is finish a lot of stuff up and then make a world out of it......

And hey, I can name over 30 such mods for elder scrolls 3 though they all pale in comparrison to my quality as mine has good storyline, not worthless crap about a genaric artifact and everyone but you being to much of weakling to go fetch it, lots and lots o new music, lots of violence and movie quality custscenes, and finally high definition models.

Hopefully I'm not bragging but..............it's true.

Seriously, this was going to be a new standalone game but the engine team died and I'm left with two buddies. So I decided to go back to using a game as a base, as I can't script for the life of me.

But before I can start publically doing lots of stuff and recruiting team members over the internet I need to pick a game for the base and stick with it.

Remember gothic 3 or Oblivion.
Post Sat May 07, 2005 8:16 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Forgive me for being a little sceptical, but this does sound like a hoax.
Post Sat May 07, 2005 10:31 pm
postaldudeleo
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

No prob,

Go to my site at www.snow-wolf-studios.com for updates when they come.

I'll be finishing up the intro cinematic to use as a trailer and that should be done sometime next week. (It's done in maya, sound over done, but need to render it
and finalize.)

BTW, the dude on the home page with the bullets flying around is the main charatcher and thats a screen of the intro.

I'll post intro story line sometime today or tommorrow.
Post Sat May 07, 2005 11:17 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

No, he is serious, as he has already proven with the G2 texture pack.

I would say go for Oblivion and squeeze out what´s possible. It´s rather unlikely G3 will have good tools. PB is too small to make them really accessable.
Post Sun May 08, 2005 12:13 am
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

quote:
2. The devs of oblivion told me that 7 ppl will be the biggest battle their game an handle without a crash or freeze up. Gothic will allow without doubt more then that.......

I find this extremely hard to believe for oblivion. I doubt a dev would release that kind of info on the public, espically for a modder when they know modding was one of morrowinds biggest selling points.

Not saying that you're lying, just that it seems far fetched a dev would come out and say, "yep our game will only allow about 7 people to fight otherwise the game will bring your system to it's knee's."

No doubt oblivion will have more then seven people in a scene at times, so i'd doubt that simply going from "normal" to "combat" would somehow bring the game to it's knee's.....unless it's seven magic users throwing particle effects and things everywhere.
Post Sun May 08, 2005 4:37 am
postaldudeleo
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well, this is the main problem with oblivion,

They use a thing called radient ai.

Now consider this again, TES 3 could not have battles over 20 ppl unless everybody had one script and the combat ai was removed to save cpu power.
That also used an older version of the gamebryo engine, the direct x 8.0a version.

The engine used in both games is no matter how you mod it, very unstable even on my good system in that it does not lag when "lag" comes in but simply crashes...

In the TES 4 forums, (official) and in multiple talks with a dude from there, he says that they sacrifice very good ai for the stabily of the game and so do not reccomend it working in big battles with over 7-10 ppl using radient ai.

Gothic 3 has no radiant ai!

Thus no problems for me to battle limitations.

maybe if somebody can convince the piranah bytes team (or someone from it to go make a drag and drop level editor)

or simply release an sdk

Then my buddy can edit it and make some more tools.
Post Sun May 08, 2005 1:34 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by postaldudeleo
maybe if somebody can convince the piranah bytes team (or someone from it to go make a drag and drop level editor)

or simply release an sdk

Then my buddy can edit it and make some more tools.

Did you know the PB is a small developer making a very big game called Gothic 3 at the moment?! They don't have time for that. They have a very tight work schedule. Even the release of the G3 website has been postponed because the game has priority.
Post Sun May 08, 2005 2:31 pm
postaldudeleo
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

They can do that after game is finished as no matter which game I choose as a base, I'm getting all the models, textures, and all otjher resources except level design which will come last so when either game come sout, the only thing to do is levele design.

How many ppl does Paranah bytes have BTW?
Post Sun May 08, 2005 11:43 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

20 people are working on G3 at the moment. That's just the development team, they also have some externals that help with the music for example.
Post Mon May 09, 2005 7:16 am
Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

I think PB has proven to give very little support for the English community. Although I like their games better, I do think that when you have such big plans, Oblivion would be the better choice. And this would give me a real good reason to buy that game.
NFG member
Post Thu May 12, 2005 9:47 pm
postaldudeleo
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well, I am convinced this will go towards TES 4 Oblivion.

I will post a story line here today and also ask the mods to move this thread to the TeS oblivion forums area please.
Post Fri May 13, 2005 9:22 pm
Ratavuk
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Yes, sad but true it seems that Bethesda gives more support for modders than PB.
But we don't exactly know how PB will treat us with G3 in this case.
Post Sun May 15, 2005 8:37 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

It's true that PB doesn't have the resources it requires to make good tools etc, but in contrary to most other companies they are *very* forthcoming if you ask them for help. I asked them for help some time ago about a website, about panorama screenshots etc, and less than a week later I got a full page of different details on how to do what.

All in all, it depends on how much work you intend to put into it. I have no doubt that a G3 based game would be better, as the NPCs will be smarter, the landscapes more varied and filled with life etc(I base this on G2 compared to Morrowind, Oblivian/G3 might be very different). If you want to actually get it done within reasonable time, you should choose Oblivian because of the TES toolset(very good imho).

Basically, you should wait and see what each game offers. Since this is a project you are doing based on a script you've worked hard on, I would go for the game that can make the mod as good as possible, so can you fulfill your vision. Your mod relies a lot on what game mechanics the devs put into the game originally, and the NPCs/environment of Morrowind is very lacking if you have this crazy fantasy about making a game with a very lifelike world(which is my fantasy to be honest, hehe).

Also, you might want to send a mail to each company telling them about your project, and asking what kind of support they might give. Such support is important to create a successful mod.

A final word of advice(this comes from a dev I know, not myself): Be sure to choose the game that suits your vision of the mod the best. There is nothing worse than having a great concept for a mod ruined by limitations in the game you base the mod upon.
Post Wed May 18, 2005 4:33 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next