Usergroups
2003: Year in Review @ RPG Codex
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

As an irregular visitor to RPG Codex, I think it's a great site for a different perspective to many. I don't agree entirely with their position on Bioware but Spazmo's article was a fun read...and 2003 was an ordinary year for RPG gaming IMO.
Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 3:13 am
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

The rpg codex is hard for me to ever get any useful information I can apply to rpgs from. In news or message boards. From the users or the moderators. They are speaking a different language.

So far as I know, the staff thinks all rpgs suck. If all rpgs suck then how can I gauge which ones suck less?

Dungeon Seige sucks. So does morrowind. So does Kotor? So does baldurs gate? Where is the information in this site that can help me choose a crpg?

I recall posting something in a rpgcodex forum about divine divinity. Guess what, 75% of the people think it sucked. What about talking to the rpg codex regulars about gothic 2? Wow. They all thought it was ok. But a lot of things about it sucked.

I just cant accept anyones opinions as valid that says that kotor is a bad game. It is made for a more mainstream audience and younger age group than... um well fallout the one suck free game.
But its brilliant. So I have to also make the assumption that someone saying that is stupid, I cant avoid it. Desperately wanting it to suck to keep continuity with the strange rant on neverwinter nights. Maybe they didnt enjoy it or it wasnt what they were in the mood for.
But guess what, either 90% of professional and amature game reviewers are liars and idiots as this person says.....or way the hell more likely this little clique has their collective head about two feet up their....

You can say, Im not into beethoven. You cant say beethoven is a terrible composer... without losing any validity to your opinion. This authors opinions have no validity to me.

This is a different perspective? How many different ways to describe something as bad and how many people and companies to call idiots?

Last edited by the mighty stamar on Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 6:36 am
Lannister
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Tolerance for the intolerant ???

Well this discussionn isnt supposed to turn into a codex-bashing but what bothers me most is that IMHO everyones supposed to be entitled to an opinion, the ones who like games codex members dislike, as well as the ones who appeal to codexers.

But what bothers me is that you get called stupid and Fu..... and whatever just because you state that you like Bioware Games or MW or others over there. Some of the resident guys over there are especially rude (e.g. "Rosh") and they simply do not accept other peoples opinions and insult them because they are not conforming to their POV how RPG`s should be, and now Spazmo demands we accept their opinion ???

Tolerance for the intolerant ????

I don`t think so.

L.
Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:32 am
Spazmo

the mighty stamar - Well, you asked for opinions and you got them. And if you want RPGs that we liked, try Geneforge or its sequel. Try Escape Velocity Nova. Yes, try Fallout and its sequel. Try Planescape: Torment. Try Arcanum. Try ToEE. Try Teudogar. And yes, try KotOR, which as you said, is enjoyable not so much as an RPG but generally as a game.

Common misconception about us. We're not whiners. We're picky.

Lannister - I'm not asking you to accept anything. Hey, if you disagree with us, I heartily encourage you to call us stupid. But please don't dismiss our opinions as biased fanboyism because that's grossly unfair.

Spazmo
http://www.rpgcodex.com
Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 4:38 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2