SWG Review at SWG Warcry
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

SWG Review at SWG Warcry

A detailed <a href="http://swg.warcry.com/scripts/columns/view_section.phtml?site=13&id=18" target="_blank">review of Star Wars: Galaxies</a> has been posted at SWG Warcry. It's really worth a look. Here's their summary:
<br><blockquote><em>In all seriousness, the content appears to be very, very badly lacking. If I were to suggest a fix to SOE, this would be number one on my list. I'd fix it NOW. If you doubt what I'm saying, look at Asheron's Call 2. Earlier today (Sunday afternoon), their busiest server (Frostfell) had 277 people on it. Two hundred and seventy-seven. Many others servers had server populations in the 80s or 90s. This is a game with great graphics, great skills, great classes, solid crafting, etc. In other words, it's a LOT like SWG is right now. Asheron's Call 2 is withering because there do not have a lot of real content; no Crushbone-like dungeons to raid, loot, get chased out of by bad guys, and ultimately overcome. AC2 dungeons are, more or less, somewhat flat affairs.
<br>
<br>But at least AC2 HAS dungeons. SWG has nothing like them, at least so far. I think that SOE desperately needs to improve the content, badly, and they need to do it now, or things are gonna come crashing down hard. I think, barring big improvements in the content, people will eventually lose interest in SWG, and start playing WoW, or Whatever else comes out in 6 months. Come on, SOE -- give the pig what he wants (and save your game in the process!)</em></blockquote>This is not to say that the review is all negative, on the contrary. As I said: read it yourself.
Post Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:49 pm
Biff

I can't get through to the review link, but the summary shown is exactly what I was yelling about in April when I was in the SWG beta. No one listened of course.
Post Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:51 pm

Mindon

Excuse me but was the review removed from the site ?

The link doesn't work and I went to the warcry SWG website to try to find it back and nope...
Post Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:40 pm

Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Yes, looks like it has been removed. It's a pity, imho - it was an excellent review.
Post Mon Jul 07, 2003 8:03 pm
Sevia

Why does every negative review of Star Wars Galaxies compare it to Everquest?
Post Mon Jul 07, 2003 8:03 pm

Biff

I finally managed to see the full text review. It was a very honest.

Summing it up: great graphics, great interface, great character creation, great crafting, ZERO content.

Unfortunately for me, content is the only thing that matters. Without content, the other things serve no purpose. The review then mentioned the failing AC2 and how SWG could possibly end up the same.
Post Mon Jul 07, 2003 8:55 pm

Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Saying that SWG has zero content is questionable IMHO. It depends on your personal definition of "content" and on what type of player you are IMHO. An explorer-type player like myself could barely ask for more content than this game has to offer. You have ten huge planets with totally different landscapes, landmarks, places of interest etc. - Anyone who has ever run from one side of a planet to another knows how huge the worlds are. Even when the servers are on full load, you won't meet other players for like 15 minutes or so when you're far outside of populated areas.
My main character has not left Corellia yet and my current plan is to raise some serious money before I take off on a long trip to see all planets. That's content enough for me. In fact, I guess I'll be a happy gamer for months to come .

If someone is a totally different type of player, however, I can fully understand their complaints. If you are looking for non-generic NPCs, mini-stories, quests or just basically small single player RPGs within this MMORPG, then you'll be highly disappointed.

It just depends...
Post Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:22 pm
Biff

I have walked all over 4 of the planets and there is virtually no content whatsoever. Being an explorer (rather than an achiever for example) does not mean that the mere existence of endless rolling landscapes of nothingness and random spawns serves as content.

Aside from the few special interest places, there is nothing more to see in the game than what you can see just steping outside of a town for a little while.

In other games that you may have played, such as DaoC, AC, UO, or EQ, you can tell your friends stuff like "lets go kill the skeletons on the bridge later", or "when we gain a few levels, we can go hunt those giants across the field there". In SWG, you can never say anything like that at all. All you can say is "lets go out in any direction, from any town, on any planet, and kill some random spawns". THAT'S IT. (referring to explorers and achievers type players)
Post Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:20 pm

Mindon

Thank you for updating the link once they did put the review back online... it seems they took some time before deciding to publish it or not

Sadly his review is correct in my humble opinion. I just hope they will add more content soon and stop this mission system (I prefer to play Tetris than to do one more of those missions).

PS: And Thank you for your hard work at rpgdot.com. I read your site for a long time now and be assured that we appreciate a lot (well myself already) what you do. I rate it the most mature RPGs-related site.
Post Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:23 pm

Lorgosin
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Having just read the review I must say that this reviewer is very talented. He told me what I wanted to know and not what I already knew from previews. The humorous tone and the stories made it enjoyable to read. And most important of all; he was brutally honest while still being objective. This is a prime example of how reviews should be written IMHO. My thanks to Warthog!
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:30 am
Test

Galaxies (which I play) reminds me a lot of AC1 at launch.. a decent game engine (but far more buggy) but little content (throwing random drudges into some crudely laid out dungeons was no better then the crappy dungeons that SWG has really).

Since I'm pretty patient and like certain portions of them, I'm hoping within 3 month's or so there will be decent additions to the content (although I was in beta too, but the last few months was really spent just getting it as stable as it is now). Don't look for stuff this first month though.. there are still numerous exploits and bugs that need to get addressed first

If it doesn't improve with time though, I'll just switch back to AO.. shadowlands will be out and that should be fun for a while till the next thing comes along
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:56 pm