Why do we like Fallout?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Fallout

Author Thread
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Why do we like Fallout?

What is so special about the Fallout games? I mean, i can sit and play for hours, still, it is rather old, and its far more better than most of the RPG games that is being released now! What is it that you like about Fallout? (Note: This is a question to the fans)

I love the story, and the world, it is very realistic after all? And the fighting system is amazing, very fun. Mwahahhaha.
Post Thu Aug 01, 2002 11:54 am
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

I thought it had a good story and great gameplay.

"Yea, so what I didn't like Planescape: Torment, what are you gonna do about it?" - Provis
Post Thu Aug 01, 2002 4:46 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

the SPECIAL skill system and the good turn based combat system is a solid ground for a fantastic story, much humor, cool weapons and fun dialogues and quests.

PS.: if you like Fallout play Jagged Alliance 2, too.
Post Thu Aug 01, 2002 9:17 pm
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

For me its one thing over all: The world and the story works.

Just like in Gothic, the game has great story and the world totally supports that great story. The authentic feeling of the post nuclear world in Fallout is something that another game has yet to reach. Gothic went near but still not close enough.

Even I am a old timer in CRPG games, I've played the RPG games from Ultima I and Demons Winter to the latest there is NWN and Morrowind including most of the MMORPGs. I still hold Fallout series as the best there is. I do not mind the graphics at all here because the story carries me over...

I am hoping for a MMORPG based on Fallout world and game rules. That would be something totally wonderful!
Post Thu Aug 01, 2002 9:40 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Have you guys played Fallout Tactics? Pretty good game, i loved the graphics! Too bad it was more a strategy game.
Post Thu Aug 01, 2002 10:36 pm
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

Yes, it was a strategy game. That is why I did not play it at all. It did not have the adventuring and RPG elements I seek in games. I *know* it was based in the world of Fallout but still, just plain fighting is not my game. I like to explore and find stuff...
Post Thu Aug 01, 2002 11:11 pm
The Hurricane
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Well, I think its a combination of everything. The story, the gameplay, and the setting just blend together perfectly to make an incredible role-playing experience.

First, the setting hits home. This isn't a fantasy world, it's our earth devastated by nuclear winter. Second, the SPECIAL system is ingenious. There's so much I enjoy about Fallout....I couldn't possibly say it all in this short rant.

"Stand back...there's a hurricane coming through..."

Last edited by The Hurricane on Fri Aug 02, 2002 2:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Aug 01, 2002 11:48 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

I think Hurricane summed it up well. The fact that it is not a fantasy world is a key. VERY few games in the RPG genre use a non-fantasy setting, which is why games like Fallout and to a lesser extent Anachronox, stand out. I also loved the humour in those games as well. Sometimes fantasy RPG's just take themselves too seriously. (But I still love them)

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Fri Aug 02, 2002 12:33 am
mikelhall
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Well, for me it was because I absolutely loved the Mad Max series of movies and an old classic crpg Wasteland. To me Fallout was like Wasteland 2.0 with a little more Mad Max thrown in. How could I not love it?

=Member of the Worshipers of the Written Word=
=Member of the RPGDot Shadows=
=Member of the Sixth House=
=Member of the Alliance of Middle-Earth=
=Member of the Non-Flamer's Guild=
=Member of the Followers of Righteousness=
Post Fri Aug 02, 2002 3:07 am
stealth
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I can only agree with the above. A lot of stats to fiddle with, Non-fantasy setting, great humour and a cool story.
Post Fri Aug 02, 2002 10:34 am
mDrop
High Emperor
High Emperor

Pretty much everything has been said about what makes Fallouts so great, but one that I found really amusing were the clever jabs at different movies, TV-shows etc. Like the hermit and the bridge from Monty Python. Wondering about in the desert was never boring since you never knew what you might stumble upon.

It was the first CRPG where I truly felt in control of the character, first time you could make actual moral decisions and build your character the way you wanted. The world was alive and immersive, towns seemed real and the people really reacted to your actions. I also liked the way how the subquests were implemented, your character really affected the history of the world.

Arcanum has most of these qualities also, in a fantasy setting. Although it wasn't as "dirty" as Fallouts were.

I'm really looking forward to Lionheart.

- Member of The Nonflamers' Guild -
- Member of The Alliance of Middle-Earth -
- Worshiper of Written Word -
- Proud supporter of E.H.U.A.O -
Post Fri Aug 02, 2002 12:58 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

Rawis:

I have played Fallout Tactics; as an old strategic sqad based fighting gamer (Incubation, all Jagged Alliance games, Shadow Company, Gorky 17 ...) i really like this one.

the only thing i HATE about Fallout Tactics is the "Waffen SS language" of the Brotherhood, this doesn't fit in the original Paladin-like-behaviour in Fallout 1 and 2.
Post Fri Aug 02, 2002 1:02 pm
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

This is "the game"; every true RPGer should have it. I replayed so many times and every time I'm finding something new, the atmosphere of that world is almost impossible to describe.

This is a classic and Tim is the man.
Post Fri Aug 02, 2002 3:02 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

it's definitely a classic CRPGs, i likes almost everything in Fallout series, and its humor always get me.
Post Fri Aug 02, 2002 3:51 pm
The Hurricane
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

[quote="mDrop"]Pretty much everything has been said about what makes Fallouts so great, but one that I found really amusing were the clever jabs at different movies, TV-shows etc. Like the hermit and the bridge from Monty Python. Wondering about in the desert was never boring since you never knew what you might stumble upon.
quote]

There's also a clever jab at Dr. Who. When I saw the disappearing police box I almost jumped out of my skin.

"Stand back...there's a hurricane coming through..."
Post Fri Aug 02, 2002 9:56 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next