Usergroups
Titan Quest: Demo Now Available!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
dr who
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

great so we have a mythological diablo on our hands then? Cool! I loved Diablo (still play it from time to time) so I shall look forward to downloading this one tonight. Thanks.
Post Thu May 11, 2006 6:00 am
doctor_kaz
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I was really underwhelmed by this demo. Graphics are decent, but gameplay wasn't as good as Dungeon Siege 2 or Sacred. The interface lacks some basic features like an inventory auto-arrange button, or the ability to rotate the camera. The character development system isn't interesting at all either.
Post Thu May 11, 2006 12:35 pm
Antiga
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Moriendor, all you do is bitch at the people that are bitching. Now, I understand why, I can get sick of whiners too, but this is a discussion forum, right? Those ppl are talking about things they like or dislike, and meanwhile all you care about are the facts of the game itself. For example, no blood... yea, he could have known this if he would have taken the time to check up on some things about this game, but do you really think everyone is going to do research on the demo's their going to play? I think most people won't(depending on how great a title). They will just DL the demo and get their opinion from that.

Having this said, my demo won't work at all. My installer whines about me not having enough disk space. Buy a better HD? I don't need to, because I have plenty of disk space, but the installer won't recognize this. It will show you how much space is required and how much you have. At required it says 0. Any drive I pick, the demo doesn't require disk space to install to, or so it says. When clicking next it gives an error, all I can do is close the installer. I have DLed 2 different .zip files. 1 from gamespot 1 from fileplanet, both give the same problem. Has anyone else had this same problem or knows of a solution? Thanks in advance.
Edit: Gamershell file wont work either.
Post Thu May 11, 2006 2:40 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

quote:
Originally posted by Antiga
Moriendor, all you do is bitch at the people that are bitching. Now, I understand why, I can get sick of whiners too, but this is a discussion forum, right? ....

Well call me jaded by the internet but the infamous and typical Guest posting of "this sux ballz and that is pure crap..." etc etc... its so old. Its not discussion worthy. Once engaged - the infamous and typical Guest usually conjures its e-courage and just insults. Boy nice discussion.

I played the Titan Quest demo and I had issues with it - but it clearly has nice production values, the interface is well designed and has potential. Certainly it does not "suck" and its clearly not "crap".

On the other hand the infamous and typical Guest is welcome in any and all Dungeon Lords threads.
Post Thu May 11, 2006 4:08 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
You gotta understand the mentality of these people if you say anything bad about a game they get upset specially these 40 year old losers crying over comments and then to hide and brush away thier tears and mentality they will post these boring stupid inhuman comments with their little words trying to sound intelligent and hide their disgusting obese selves.

If it isnt crap then why am i calling it crap? If its such a great game why am i calling it crap? Because it is and its boring so no use crying over it.

The demo worked perfectly fine for me though installed fine no crashes etc but i did get some small pauses and it couldnt be a memory issue because i got 1.5GB oh well.

/Infamous Guest AKA The Great One.

I'll give you points for entertainment value. For some reason I'm going to answer you. I don't know why you are calling it crap. Its too easy? Too repetitive? Its just the beginning of the game. There was this one segment where I fought a boss character that forced me to do alot of dodging. If the game ramps up to that sort of hectic pace later on it will be great. Here are my points:

The Good:
- an intuitive interface
- great animations
- excellent textures and natural landscape
- fun rag doll effects
- well done dynamic lighting day and night cycle
- good hit detection
- good ranged lock feature (shift to hold in place)
- well done spell effects

The Bad:
- fixed camera
- repetitive
- illogical quests (like leaving the guy in the cave)
- unexplained slowdowns
- too easy (for now)
Post Thu May 11, 2006 5:56 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Its a "classless" system in the same way Dungeon Siege was - items require various attribute concentrations that direct you to a certain class in the end. Was Diablo the same way? Never played it.

I'll try to give it another hour or so as well - I just started on the Skeleton area. I had to quit last night - the dog ran off with my welfare check so I had to roll my big fat ass after em!
Post Thu May 11, 2006 8:30 pm
Antiga
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

But back to real problems...

quote:
Originally posted by Antiga
My installer whines about me not having enough disk space. Buy a better HD? I don't need to, because I have plenty of disk space, but the installer won't recognize this. It will show you how much space is required and how much you have. At required it says 0. Any drive I pick, the demo doesn't require disk space to install to, or so it says. When clicking next it gives an error, all I can do is close the installer. I have DLed 2 different .zip files. 1 from gamespot 1 from fileplanet, both give the same problem. Has anyone else had this same problem or knows of a solution? Thanks in advance.
Edit: Gamershell file wont work either.

Someone know of a solution?
Post Thu May 11, 2006 10:35 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

I don't know but I did read somewhere it wouldn't install if Windows wasn't installed to C: (or something along those lines). Anything unuual about your setup? Multiple OSs, OS installed to 2nd or 3rd partition...etc?
Post Thu May 11, 2006 11:03 pm

Well i know how frustrating it can be waiting for something then not being able to try it (pc related problems etc) although hardly ever happens to me.

I dont know if this is whats happening to you're demo but some one posted a "fix" on how to get the demo to install/work so let me know if this works.

Here you go people have said it fixed their install problems.

http://vnboards.ign.com/titan_quest_general_board/b23058/96672942/p1/

/infamous guest
Post Thu May 11, 2006 11:21 pm

Antiga
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin
I don't know but I did read somewhere it wouldn't install if Windows wasn't installed to C: (or something along those lines). Anything unuual about your setup? Multiple OSs, OS installed to 2nd or 3rd partition...etc?

Yup, I have my windows on my D drive. And Infamous Guest, thanks.. but that also did not help for me.
Post Fri May 12, 2006 12:54 am
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Alright - I played it for another hour or so and I deleted it. Here are my beefs:

1. Inexplicable slowdowns in caves. Probably the lighting/shadow system - hard to say but my FPS drops horribly. It makes combat at an Oblivion Gate seem smooth. I've got an x850XT and a 3.2GHz core so go figure. Outside its smooth as silk.

2. Horrible save system. I was at a "save shrine" and realized I needed to backtrack to finish a side quest. 20 minutes later I died in a cave (mostly because of poor FPS=bad targeting), all my work undone. Do you think I'm going to repeat my work over and over again? I won't buy this game unless the save system is changed. It reminds me of a console game the way it is. Not good.

3. Camera. with the camera locked in that isometric perspective you can't see sh1t if you have to backtrack (downscreen). And anyway - people who will play this game played Dungeon Siege and they want the camera dynamic.

Know your market Devs! The game has promise but big issues in my opinion.
Post Fri May 12, 2006 1:49 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2