Gothic 2 addon DNDR in english...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
cothyso
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Gothic 2 addon DNDR in english...

I had enough waiting for Atari and Pirana Bytes to translate this addon. And now, more than half an year later, they still don't tell us anything about the real situation and the plans they have for it. They could tell us at least: we won't publish it anymore, go learn some german if you wanna play it for yourself!

So, my waiting was over. There IS a way in which the Gothic 2 german addon DNDR can be installed over the international version of Gothic 2. And as Pirana Bytes released Gothic 2 mdk, we can now translate this addon in english. I already started the work on it, and it goes pretty fine atm (locating the text which needs translation, scripting for extracting the german text and injecting back the translated one etc), excepting the translation itself.

The only thing I do need from you are some good german to english translators, as my german is rather poor and automatic translation doesn't seems to nowhere near an acceptable translation.

So, what do you say?!!
Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:53 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Hey there cothyso,

Welcome to the boards,

Nice work, how long would it take (if you get the translating done o.k ?)

By the way Xerxes712 on these forums has done some fine work on this but is in "limbo" at the moment? - - you two should "rub heads" together.

Good luck
Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:07 am
cothyso
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I have everything done, except good translations. All the scripts are ready, I have files with extracted german texts, atm I can replace everything with an auto translation, but it's not good at all (the auto translation I mean).

As soon as I'll have them, it's done.
Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:23 am
alexpetersmith
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

wow thats gona be quite a task i wondered how long it would be before sumone finally gave up on waiting i would like to hlp you a lot but much like u my german isn't really to good ah well gd luck
Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:10 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

I don't think I see the point in this... TNotR is surely very much done in English and is awaiting shipment, as said a thousand times before. You might want to consider learning some self-control...
Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:29 pm
cothyso
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Maybe you don't, but I'm sure the ones which does are much more, including myself.

Also, maybe I am blind and didn't saw it, but can you please point me to an OFICIAL statement of Atari saying that they will ship the international version of the addon, and when?!!

Thank you!

PS: And I still need help with those translations, so please, if anyone can help me, contact me asap.
Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:54 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

i finished the Gothic 2 german addon allready and have learned german[ i think i learned it 5 years] so u can count on me about the translating, also i think we gotta do some irc channel for the translation or somekind of msn grp or something so the translation could go on fast. Tho i am sure koch media will publish the Gothic 2 english addon version for sure but it would do no harm to make that translation also
Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:04 pm
cothyso
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Daedalus, check your pm pls.
Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:45 pm
Gorn's best mate
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

What a task

Hi all,

I've been reading these forums for quite some time now. As much for the entertainment value as for the solid support.

I'd love to help out on this project. It's gonna take a lot of effort though, especially making sure all the dialogues gel as well as they do in German. TNOTR reminded me a lot more of G1 than G2 did.

Well anyways, if you are interested in a helping hand let me know. I don't have heaps of time, but I'd love to do my bit.

Gorn's best mate
Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:23 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

quote:
Originally posted by cothyso
Also, maybe I am blind and didn't saw it, but can you please point me to an OFICIAL statement of Atari saying that they will ship the international version of the addon, and when?!!

Oh, but I didn't say it will be shipped, I just said that all the chances are it had been done long time ago and it's awaiting shipment. Who is going to do it and when - nobody knows.
Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:00 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

@hwfanatic- Exactly. He wants it in English ASAP, so he's going to do it himself. There's nothing wrong with that, and he doesn't need to learn self-control.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:29 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

I'm not going to go into the whole flaming thing with you again. There is nothing wrong with looking forward to the release of any game, but I think you're all getting extreme, and that is a problem...
Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:53 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by hwfanatic
I'm not going to go into the whole flaming thing with you again. There is nothing wrong with looking forward to the release of any game, but I think you're all getting extreme, and that is a problem...

I totally agree with you. It'll come for sure.
In Germany they had to wait at least the same amount of time before the addon was coming. After all the Gothic 2 was released a year earlier. The only difference is that we know that there is an addon since an english version of Gothic 2 was released.
Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:58 pm
Phil5000
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Good on you for anyone undertaking such a task. If it turns out the translation is too big a job or you can't get enough people have you thought about hiring a professional? You could set up an account with Paypal and people from all over could chip in to pay for it.
It might also light a fire under the publisher's butt (if they pay attention to these forums that is). After all if this succeeds we'll all be buying the German game which means no one will want the English version when they ever get around to releasing it.
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:33 am
the_undertaker_05x
Village Leader
Village Leader

Location: Well... I live in Korinis but I'm plannig to go to the mainland with Hagen's ship.

hey phil500...stop uncourageing ...these people... they have an excelent ambition and my opinion is thet they will translate that addon.. the bad thing is that I haven't found the addon to buy it, in German language I mean and if you people translate it, there's gonna be no use for me...meanwhile I'm studying german so I can play diccuric and any other german versions of Gothic series... Isn't there any softweare that translates texts, like when you translate a site in a other language...?
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:34 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next