Anarchy Online - fun?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Anarchy Online - fun?

Im thinking about starting to play a MMORPG... Anarchy Online looks cool, and my friend says its really fun. I have no idea, im thinking about ordering the game with a "time card" with 90 days playtime since I don't have a credit card. But the time card is kinda expensive.

Any thoughts?
Post Thu May 01, 2003 12:14 am
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

I played it for a short while (didnt have money to keep playing) and i liked it. It has a very interesting atmosphere, but the personal apartments are a little strangely set up, although they have probley fixed them by now... But all in all i'd say its a good game

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Thu May 01, 2003 2:41 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Like most MMORPGs, AO is fun for a while. I'd say if this is one of your first MMORPG you'l probably like it very much since it has improved greatly since the time I played it when it came out. I recently tried it again and I can honestly say that nothing has changed for the worst. If you have friends already playing it then you should have all the more fun with them. But otherwise you might think that the playing field is rather barren and empty... Not many people play AO, so don't expect throngs of players swarming the cities.

If you've played MMORPGs before, then you might be disapointed sooner than that. AO is basically the same game as every other out there, and there's nothing really original besides it's cool looking setting.
Post Thu May 01, 2003 4:46 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Hmm, Is it as empty as Asherons Call 2? On the server I played there were like 300 people playing... And you never saw them.
Post Thu May 01, 2003 9:42 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I used to play it. I got tired of the leveling treadmill... until I jointed a guild. Then the levelling treadmill got fun because we grouped and knew our roles in combat very well. It's funner critting for 1200 damage when there's a friend beside you to type "HOLY $(&*! You critted for 1200 damage!".

I lost my cable modem which is the biggest reason I quit. When I got it back the game had changed and all my friends had moved on so I didn't get back into it.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri May 02, 2003 2:07 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

There's an off-line demo that might at least give you a feel for it if you haven't already tried it.
Post Sat May 03, 2003 3:00 am
Abbath
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

where do we get that demo?
Post Sun May 11, 2003 6:50 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin
There's an off-line demo that might at least give you a feel for it if you haven't already tried it.

Are you sure? I know there was an offline demo for Neocron, but not for AO. Well, URL?
Post Mon May 12, 2003 7:32 am
Dhruin

*sigh* - brain-meltdown. Yes, I was thinking of Neocron. Age must be catching up with me, sorry.
Post Mon May 12, 2003 9:07 am
Zamolxis
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I played first DAoC for like 6 months then switched to AO (it was like at least half a year after its release so I didn't encounter all the bugs that were in the beginning) and I must say I really enjoyed it. Yes, it's like all the mmorpgs out there but what got me hooked was the diversity and wow factor. There are no more game stoping bugs and they added a lot of content since release. At the end of august they are launching the Shadowlands expansion pack also.

You also have a 7 day free trial (you can download it from internet) so that's an inexpensive way to check it out.
Tip: for the first few days try to play solo (don't hunt in a group) till you understand the basics of the game, to avoid getting your group killed by mistake or other first time stupid mistakes. There is also an ARK program (veterans that volunteer to help new players) which should be really helpfull too.

Good luck !
Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:08 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

I still think AO has the most beautiful world of all the MMORPGs out there. If you can get your breath taken away by an incredible sunset in a computer game, then AO is the game for you.

On a side note, how many of you who played AO found Marvin (the robot)? And if so, how many found the reason why he's in that world?
Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:47 pm