Exorcist: The Beginning
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Books & Movies

Author Thread
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Exorcist: The Beginning

I had the pleasure of seeing "Exorcist:The Beginning" last night, and was actually pretty impressed with it overall. Unfortunately, due quite possibly to divine intervention, the previous sequels up to this point havent been anything to write home about. "Exorcist II: The Heretic" was laughed off the screen upon it's much anticipated release, and is considered one of the biggest movie flops ever in American filmmaking. Mind you that the original "Exorcist" film won 2 Oscars and 3 golden globes in 1974, the film's sequel back then would be on par with a Matrix or similar film's much-awaited sequel today. Funny blinking headsets that allow one to travel into the thoughts of others, an annoyingly cherubic and just too-darn-cute post-possession Linda Blair, and even a funny sounding name for the demon (Pazoozoo!) made it look more like a parody than drama. George C. Scott hopped on board for Exorcist III, and though a better film than II, it's pretty hard to fall any lower than zero. It seemed that the Infernal One's signature film series had been laid to rest finally.

That was, until the release of "Exorcist: The Beginning".

This film heads back to Africa in the year 1949, Long before Regan was even a mere glint in her papa's eye, to document the initial sparring match between Beelzebub and a younger Father Merrin (Stellan Skarsgard). Having witnessed the unspeakable horrors of the Nazis during WWII, Merrin is actually an ex-priest at the time, so disenchanted with his Maker he has forsaken his priestly vows to become an archaeologist who specializes in religious artifacts. Offered some cash and a small statue, he heads to an ancient church being unearthed by reluctant tribal locals a stones throw away from Nairobi, Africa. There, he meets a small cast of characters, among them the Attractive Volunteer Doctor(Izabella Scorupco), Young Aspiring Priest(James D'Arcy ), Cute Little Kid(Remy Sweeney), and The Ugly Scumball Who Makes Lewd Comments(dont know). A fun bunch indeed, but I admit that my hopes sort of sank as each sorta predictable one of them was introduced, and I sorta groaned when I saw the first Nazi. I'm personally quite sick of the Nazis, they've almost become a generic all-purpose villain of sorts. The Boogeyman of the 20th century. But as time went on, I actually thought this is one of those instances where they were used right. Theyre in nightmares and daydreams Merrin has, particularly memories of watching one of Hitler's finest put a bullet in the head of a very young girl. Part of the premise of the film is that possession can be a local thing, and several people at once can be possessed to one degree or another. The Nazi says something in his dream/memory that ties into the modern day story, thus raising the possibility that perhaps the Nazis were actually tools of supernatural demonic forces. Maybe not, but it's a cool notion anyway. Most likely, Satan is basically just using these horrible memories of his to completely destroy his mind. In any case, Merrin ends up faced with a disappearing and dying workforce, a freaked-out girlfriend, and an entire tribe of pissed off natives all out to get whitey when bad mojo starts happening in their village. And on top of all this, the Prince of Darkness is trying to drive him insane and killing people around him. So far, so good.

As to be expected, the movie is kinda satanic in it's imagery, the most stunning example being the opening sequence. Thousands of bloody and ravaged medieval Christian soldiers are literally crucified upside-down on inverted crosses, no doubt a Wahhabist dream come true. Turns out this neck of the woods, er desert, is the original place that Lucifer hit the earth after being tossed out of Heaven. Sort of a satanic Area 51, and those hellish vibes emanating from the place are long lasting. An old church was built on the unholy site to help suppress the evil vibes, and this is the ancient sepulcher Merrin is excavating when all hell breaks loose. The ancient desecrated church was done pretty well, and the effects and sets in general are convincing. Everything in Africa is convincingly grimy looking, so much so that at times it almost looks like a yellowish tone is being applied. Everyone has a slight sheen of sweat on them, it definitely looks hot and miserable there. There is alot of blood compared to the previous films. An otherwise calm character notices an odd drop of blood one second, the next they start freaking out because it's coming from them profusely, then Satan kicks the phenomena into high gear. It's a nice way to kick into a heavy part, and I like it more than the sudden jolt technique. There is a couple well done jolts still, but thankfully they are few and far between. I really despise reactionary horror movies that depend on one unnerving jolt after another. Horror should not have to startle you to be effective, anything can startle you if it's suddenly blasted at you amidst a dreamy lull or an otherwise calm setting. The movie does conjure some good horror scenes- a bloody and trashed room, an ancient desecrated temple, an infirmary that looks more like a morgue. A boy gets ripped apart and dragged off by hyenas. The natives attack colonial British soldiers guarding the dig, who in turn attack them, then mass-possession breaks out and they are all massacring friend and foe alike.

One of the weak spots I found in the movie is the utter lack of fear and panic in Merrin, and a kid who is no older than maybe seven or eight years old. For instance, as I said earlier, the Nazi in his dream/memory utters a phrase to him("God is not here, priest!"). Later someone literally says this phrase to him verbatim, then cuts his own throat in front of Merrin. He seems a little grossed out by it, but doesnt seem that bothered over this utterly horrific event that just transpired. He isnt freaked out that his own memories are being read and thrown back at him from beyond, by people who hack at themselves with sharp objects. Likewise, this kid sees some paranormal phenomena that would turn Aliester Crowley white, and just kinda opens his eyes a bit wider. Not a peep! The Doctor is a bit more emotional, and she does a good job with her part, and her part grows significantly towards the end thankfully. Also, the passage of time from the WWII experience for Merrin, seems flawed when the Doctor talks with him about her experience in the concentration camps as a young girl. She doesnt look much younger than him, yet in his memories of that time he's a grown man, and she's supposedly a little girl. He also cuts the heck out of his hand, yet it doesnt seem to bleed or bother him much. Details, details..

Overall I liked the movie, despite it's little quirks here and there. There's a few cool scares, and it generally has a creepy feel to it a la' "Serpent and the Rainbow" or "Prince of Darkness". The possession varies, and there is no real Regan-esque total bodily domination 'til late movie. I think that it's done well however, but tragically fleeting, in the final 10 minutes or so of the film. So, If you want to see where and how it all began, this is the "Episode 1" of the Exorcist movies. This tiger gives it 2 thumb-equivalents up!

The good-
-Awesome ancient church, I liked it outside and in.
-Lots of subtle lead-ins to horror, ie suddenly bleeding, shadows, soft cackling noises
-The natives and british colonial soldiers go berserk and mosh. Good fight!
-Creepy, grimy looking and feeling setting help the movie immersion

The Bad-
-Continuity problems and plot holes that dont kill, but dont help either
-Noone seems to really freak out when really hellish things happen
-Theres a bit of weak CGI that could have been done better
-It just doesnt do a good job remaking 1949, it looks almost modern day to me at times.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain

Last edited by xSamhainx on Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:14 am
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

I liked it too.

Great review!

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:36 pm
Evil Ash
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I saw it Friday night, and I too was unexpectedly pleased.

There were a few CGI scenes that were quite laughable, but other than that it was an enjoyable film. The cinemetography was wonderful, and the scenes within the "church" were absolutely beautiful. I think I'm going to make a render of it...
Post Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:44 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

I haven't seen Beginning yet but I will.

Paul Schrader actually completed an earlier version of the film which was apparently much more true to William Friedkin's original masterpiece. It was rejected the producer because it lacked the shock horror jolts that you mentioned earlier. Schrader's version supposedly relied on a subtle building of foreboding and dread, much like the original film. Obviously this would be easy to miss if you are a studio exec paying only half attention while you talk on your cell phone and mess with your PDA. The same thing would have happened in 1973 if an exec just half watched the film.

After the original [i]Beginning[/b] was rejected the studio fired Schrader and hired action hack Renny Harlin to re-write the script and direct an entirely new film. The end result is the film that ended up on theater screens. I wasn't expecting this film to be much like the original but that's ok, I'll enjoy it anyway... I'm not one of those people who requires absolute dedication to a particular visual landscape.

I would also like to see Paul Schrader's original film someday. Maybe it will come out as part of as Exorcist collection or something.

As a little trivia sidenote--Stellan Skarsgård is 19 years older than Izabella Scorupco.

Anyway, thank you for a nicely informative review. Much better than the self-inflating fodder that you see on the IMDB. I would see [i]Beginning[/b] on the strength of this review even if I hadn't planned on it already.
Post Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:26 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Thanks for the kudos!

On the subject of behind-the-scenes tumult, a director named John Frankenheimer actually had the original project before Schrader, but had to leave like a month before shooting began because of health reasons. He died pretty soon afterwards, and it was given to Schrader. I read somewhere also that Liam Neeson originally had the part of Merrin, but things got dragged out far too long for his career ambitions and he abandoned the role for other work.

On the hope of seeing Schrader's version, I think it may be quite possible if the rumors are true, as possibly the 2nd dvd in a set. Cant quite remember where I read that, but it was on some horror junkie site. Some time and money went into it of course, I'd think that theyd want to get something out of it. Would be funny if it was actually an excellent film!

Thanks for the bit of trivia, BTW
Just dont tell Izabella what I wrote ='.'=
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:26 am
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

I agree Sammy...this movie is entertaining!!!

It's very graphic...can't wait to see the NC-17 version on DVD.

And yes, I heard that they shot 2 complete movies...the other version which only has the main actor will be on the DVD along side a gorier version that we just saw in the theater. Who knows, maybe the original was better...the complaints about it were what I liked about the original...more psychological.

My favorite scenes are...

- Opening mass-crucifixion of crusaders
- Voodoo men & leeches
- Butterfly collection
- Mirror with Satan statue reflected in it

Seemed to be lots of Serpent & the Rainbow Influence. (My fave horror flick)

There is some cheese, bad effects, and continuity problems. But, this was a great surprise after seeing the horrible 2&3.
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:15 pm