Usergroups
Error trying to launch the game
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
Kelson
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

When I launch Gothic, I get the mini window that says it's loading. Then I see what appears to be a dos-type window go full screen with a version number in the title bar (1.07J or something similar). Then the screen goes dark. After a few moments, I get an error that ends with "...not supported".

I don't have the error on hand (it's at home) but from what I saw, it appeared to mention something about graphics (something like D3d or direct x or something). It was a long string of text that didn't have much that stood out a lot.

Here's my system:

Wind 98 Second Edition
850Mhz Athlon
256 Mb 133Mhz RAM
20Gb free HDD space
Voodoo 5500 64Mb
Sound Blaster Live

Everything is supported, according to the box. I've uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times now. I've used RegEdit to clean out the Gothic registry keys between the last uninstall and install. Heck, I even tried using the German game patches, just to do it (and uninstalled those keys afterwards, too).

I have the last drivers that 3dfx released for the Voodoo 5500 and I'm fairly sure that Direct X is the latest version (or darn close to it...it's at least 7.1, if not 8.0 or higher).

I have no hardware conflicts, no virus scanning software is running, etc.

I run games like DAoC, EQ and Wizardry 8 without a problem.

I e-mailed piranha-bytes via at the address in their readme file Monday, but I'm not holding my breath (I have bad luck with getting responses to e-mails from software companies...I never seem to get them). But I've heard good things about their support, so maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for your help.

Kelson
Post Thu Jan 03, 2002 5:52 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

It´s either a driver or a DirectX problem. My system is almost identical to yours and Gothic runs like a dream. See a few threads down.

I´m using DirectX 8.0a plus an inofficial driver from x3dfx I found on voodoofiles.com. The unpacked file: x3dfx_V5_Win9X_1.08.04.exe date: 11/19/2001 size: 9.264.560 bytes

Post Thu Jan 03, 2002 6:12 pm
Kelson
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for the tip. I'll go to voodoofiles.com and try that out and see what happens. I just hope it doesn't kill any other games I play. If I lose DAoC I think I'd die from withdrawal. heh

Kelson
Post Thu Jan 03, 2002 7:25 pm